U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,160,927 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm changing my Maryland driver's license to an Ohio driver's license. It's getting ready to expire, and I'm in Ohio more than Maryland these days.
So, I go to the downtown Cincinnati BMV (since I happened to be downtown) a few weeks ago. They told me that they cannot transfer my Maryland license there because I need to take a test in one of their "testing" locations. Ok, No problem, I figure.

This week I realized that my Maryland license is going to expire on Monday. So this morning (Saturday), I went to the Western Hills location with my Maryland driver's license, my US passport, my birth certificate, credit cards, my homeowner's insurance policy, my proof of auto insurance, my Ohio vehicle registration, and my expired military ID.

I wait through the line only to be told that I'm not able to get a drivers license without a proof of SSN (even though it was on my expired military ID).

Ok, fine. I suppose that even though they already have my SSN in their system from when I registered my vehicle in Ohio, and they say on their website that they confirm name & SSN with the Social Security Administration electronically when you give it to them, and the fact that my SSN is on my expired military ID, that's not sufficient to change my driver's license over. So, here's the tricky part: I've moved like 3 times and I'm not sure where my Social Security card is...

So, they give me a list of the documents that they need and it says that the documents that I've brought are sufficient. Nonetheless they insist that I must have the items must be on the list AND have my SSN on at least one them. Which ones have a SSN? They don't know.

So, I go home and dig through my records. Ah! I have a DD214 (military discharge paper) which has my SSN printed right across the top. It's on the list. Great! The Air Force emailed it to me when I got out. So, I print it out and head to the Sharonville branch of the BMV (closer to my house than the first).

I wait through the line for another hour and present my documents to them when I get to the desk. The guy looks at my DD214 quizzically , so I explain that the lady at the other BMV said that I needed to bring something on the list with my SSN on it.

He says, "I've got to go ask if this will work" and shuffles into another room. He comes back and tells me that I have to have an original from the Air Force. I explain to him that they only emailed it to me. So, he tells me that the only thing that will work is my Social Security Card.

I explain that I can't find social security card, and that my license expires on Monday. He follows that I will then have to take the full driver's test on top of the knowledge test that I was there for. They're only open during the week.

So now, I have to take off work on Monday. Get a new Social Security card. Take the knowledge test. Take the driving test. Pay the fee. Uugh... these people suck. How hard can it be to make me a driver's license? I can renew this one in Maryland in 30 minutes!

Again, it states on their website that they verify your SSN with the social security administration. They already have my SSN in their system from when I registered my vehicle. I had tons of documentation prooving that I am who I say I am. I even had stuff with my SSN on it. Why is this an issue???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 06:24 PM

3,767 posts, read 6,896,063 times
How long have you been an Ohio resident? What is your reason for not transferring your Driver's License earlier? (Not trying to be smart about this, just wondering.)

Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,428,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
How long have you been an Ohio resident? What is your reason for not transferring your Driver's License earlier? (Not trying to be smart about this, just wondering.)
I'd have to agree with rrtechno, the law is the law. it is there for a reason. You do know that identity theft and illegal immigrants are big problems and I wouldn't want them handing out licenses to anyone who walks up.

You really shouldn't be blaming others for your poor planning....

Old 03-05-2011, 06:52 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Well, then, renew your Maryland license. Yeah, it sounds like a PITA, but you must have your Social Security card for this kind of stuff these days. I'm a procrastinator myself, but I would have started on this process at least a week or two ago ... Good luck.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 PM

3,767 posts, read 6,896,063 times
"Once you are an Ohio resident, you need to become an official Ohio driver as soon as possible. You are considered an Ohio resident once you: take a job, sign a lease, buy a home, register to vote, or enroll children in school."

From ODPS | BMV | New Ohio Resident Information

Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM

837 posts, read 1,282,414 times
Looks to me like OP had everything required, and then some:

ODPS | BMV | Acceptable Identification Documents

Too bad you're out of time. I probably would have gone back to Maryland if I were you. Why in the world do they require a written test, anyway? That's just lame.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 AM

11,540 posts, read 13,613,320 times
I appreciate a good rant any day. And this is a good one.

But I do have to say: I am quite sure it isn't an Ohio thing.
Is there a GOOD BMV/DMV anywhere in these 50 states?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,160,927 times
I spend part of the year in each state, although I recently bought a house in Ohio. I decided that it would be appropriate to swap my license to Ohio.
Gosh, everyone jumps on me for poor planning. I took 3 trips to the BMV over several weeks attempting to resolve this. Seriously? This is my fault?

I've seriously considered traveling back to Maryland just to renew it. It would take like 30 minutes when I got there.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM

11,540 posts, read 13,613,320 times
I really only see 1 person "jumping on you". And not even that bad really.

It's the internet, man, people can be rude.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 AM

313 posts, read 1,061,464 times
Hey Flash,
It's not you. Looked to me too like you were being jumped on. One would think that getting a drivers license for an already licensed adult from another State of the Union should not be a multi-day affair. And it would seem to me that 8 pieces of identification should count for something.

And I feel your pain friend. When we moved from MI to OH what a complete and utter pain in the butt it was dealing with the BMV. Everyone in MI says that our Secretary of State offices suck, but I long for the days when life was easy. Everything was under one roof, all handled by one agent, who might be grumpy, but if you had your paperwork, you were good to go.

When we moved here, it took something like 6 trips and about 8 hours to get myself, my husband and our lease vehicles registered. I especially like the part where the offices all have different days and times that they are open. But my favorite is that not all of the offices accept the same payment types. Also a favorite is that they charged us sales tax on the vehicles that we had paid taxes on already in MI.

Oh, Flash.... I hope that Monday finds you with an Ohio license. But I would check the office hours first before you take the day off. I am sure one of the offices is not open on Monday, or may only be open from 9:18a until 10:39a. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or