Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 07:18 AM

123 posts, read 560,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
http://www.igpa.uiuc.edu/lib/pdf/diversity.pdf (broken link)

There you go. The demographics on Illinois. Now Oneway lets see where you are getting some of your information from. I find it interesting that you are questioning my info when i read your's sometimes it makes no sense. Sorry just wondering where you get it. Thanks

I am not questioning your info...Just wanting to know where you get it because I would like to look at some of your stats....for other states, etc, just find it interesting. As far as my info, Sperlings, morganquinto.com, and MSN are about the only places...and city-data, but most of that info is older.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:37 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,253 times
^ Sorry it just seemed like you were questioning my information by the way you questioned me. I also trust morganquinto too.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:08 PM

28 posts, read 97,350 times
Hi, i'm from vermilion,ohio.not too far from you. i used to feel alot like you do about ohio. crapy weather, grey skies all the time. i now live in las vegas. have you considered here?i see that you mentioned arizona.the one thing i've noticed about the people here is they are alive. real working people and friendly too. there are alot of welfare people in ohio who seem content on being lazy.not all people, please don't get me wrong. i miss ohio greatly(never thought i would)my family is all there and they are the best.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshome View Post
Hi, i'm from vermilion,ohio.not too far from you. i used to feel alot like you do about ohio. crapy weather, grey skies all the time. i now live in las vegas. have you considered here?i see that you mentioned arizona.the one thing i've noticed about the people here is they are alive. real working people and friendly too. there are alot of welfare people in ohio who seem content on being lazy.not all people, please don't get me wrong. i miss ohio greatly(never thought i would)my family is all there and they are the best.
I have considered Vegas. It seems like it would be a great place to live. However, job opportunities are most prominent right now for me in Phoenix or Dallas. I'll look into Vegas if those fall thru.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,386 times
welcome to ohio. that is how it is here.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:29 PM

Maybe to you, barbie, but i know hundreds of others who think otherwise.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM

Wow, this thread is now sticky! I am honored.

Honestly, this thread actually provides some very good insight into Ohio life from both sides of the spectrum-- positive and negative. Good thread, don't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1078
Maybe to you, barbie, but i know hundreds of others who think otherwise.
Haha, and there are many that think otherwise of what you think otherwise! That is what makes this a good thread.. Lol...

Anyways, great news, my fate has been sealed for now. I am moving to Arizona. I have secured a job, better pay, same field, and I start mid-January. Cant wait!! This is the best news yet!! I cant wait to become an Arizonan. Phoenix looks great, and my new employment position is in Scottsdale. Now, instead of just visiting again for new years, I will be picking out a new home!

All in all, Ohio was not too bad. Just absolutely not for me. Good luck to all "wanna-be" and former Ohioans.

Last edited by OneWayOut; 11-21-2006 at 09:46 PM..

Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,087 times
Default Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Wow, this thread is now sticky! I am honored.

Honestly, this thread actually provides some very good insight into Ohio life from both sides of the spectrum-- positive and negative. Good thread, don't you agree?

Haha, and there are many that think otherwise of what you think otherwise! That is what makes this a good thread.. Lol...

Anyways, great news, my fate has been sealed for now. I am moving to Arizona. I have secured a job, better pay, same field, and I start mid-January. Cant wait!! This is the best news yet!! I cant wait to become an Arizonan. Phoenix looks great, and my new employment position is in Scottsdale. Now, instead of just visiting again for new years, I will be picking out a new home!

All in all, Ohio was not too bad. Just absolutely not for me. Good luck to all "wanna-be" and former Ohioans.

Well, I wish you the best of luck with your move, OneWay. I hope it turns out to be all that you have been hoping it will be. I have heard the Scottsdale area is very nice...actually had a family friend who lived there for quite some time. Anyways, good luck again and I'm glad that you've come to peace with Ohio.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:02 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Hello all, Im new to this forum. I just started researching a few other states, and decided to join in. Ive been stuck here in OH, dangerously close to the Michigan line, for a few years now. I am trying relentlessly to get out, but it seems every other day something happens here to prevent it. Biggest mistake I ever made was moving here from Maryland. Here are my reasons.

1. People. There are some good people here. Dont get me wrong. Otherwise, they are very cliquey, rude, fake, and will backstab you in a moments notice. Getting drunk and driving old beat-up Camaros to the trailer park to see your girl seems to be the favorite pastime– It is at least in the part of Ohio that I am stuck in (Toledo). You have to be a “good ‘ol boy” to fit in here. Get drunk, and watch OSU!! If thats not your bag, plenty of tattoos, hat turned sideways, shorts falling off your rear, and plenty more alcohol coupled with pot (or something worse) is the way.

Aside from that, they have their own native language here. For example, instead of a “vacuum” it is called a sweeper. Sweepers are machine guns or brooms, not vacuums. When you say “thank you” to an Ohioan, all you get is “YEP”. “Your welcome” is not in their vocabulary. Also, soda here is called “POP”, A pop is a noise, not a softdrink. (I know, grow up, but these are pet peeves) These are just a few examples, there are many many more. The accent is a cross between the Kentucky drawl, and the Michigan roll. They couldnt come up with one on their own. There seems to be a problem with teenage pregnancy, and single women that have 5 kids with all different fathers.

2.The weather. Summers are oppresively humid, rainy, seldom sunny, and very short. Mosquitoes are as big as squirrels, and will attack you relentlessly even if you were swimming in a bath of bug spray. Winters are so cold that you cant even touch your steering wheel in the morning without your fingers freezing to it– thats if you can get into your car after scraping 3 inches of ice off of it. Long, gloomy, sub-zero winters are the norm. They last from October to April here. They use salt on the roads, so not only does your car freeze, it rusts out all over. The brown nasty slush on the roads in winter is no picnic either.

3. Economy. I have been trying to sell my house and move out, almost a year now. I have dropped the price twice. It is now quite less than what it appraised at. I live in what is supposed to be a “nice neighboorhood” by Ohio standards. Toledo is very slow right now. There are very very few jobs that dont consist of waiting tables, or low paid factory work. No wonder I cant sell it. Those that have good jobs here are either lawyers or doctors. Ohio has one of the highest bankruptcy rates, so go figure. I can say im glad to have the job that I have, but I have found it pays better elsewhere.

4. Toledo & Vicinity: I have never seen some where that is so sports-barified in my life. Chain restaurants and big box stores are everywhere. This is becoming the norm most everywhere though. It is ridiculous. It is impossible to get anywhere without driving. The bus system is sub par, and hardly runs anywhere– if you want to go to a bar or club, your out of luck unless a DD can be found. Walking anywhere is out of the question. That normally does not bother me that much, but just adds to the difficulty of having some kind of fun here. There is no culture here. The downtown is a lifeless concrete nightmare, and the rest is just ghetto stick houses. The only plus side, is 5/3 Field. I will give it that-- except that I object to it being named after a bank. Again, sign of the times.

Outdoors life is nearly non-existent. Cedar Point is the only plus if your into that. Going fishing in polluted lakes and rivers and getting wasted while doing it is all there is. I was in Fremont just today, and drove over the Sandusky river bridge, and it smelled of sewage. Golf and parks get old quick when they look the same. There are no mountains, ORV parks, or nice huge national parks here. Flat as a table top. You have to drive for 3 hours to see even small hills.

I could go on for hours, but that should give you a good idea. Thanks for reading my rant. I am looking at North Carolina, Arizona, Oregon, or Georgia right now as possible new homes. I have been to all, and have not decided which to move to yet. But I cant even move till my house sells. Pardon any misspellings or grammatical errors, its not because im from Ohio.

I know some of you wont feel the same way. This is just my opinion of this place.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:03 PM

This is a good thread, i will not delete it. Remember on this thread people can EXPRESS THEIR OPINIONS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio