Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM

35 posts, read 191,821 times

Advertisements

From wat I hear the Midwest has a small but significant population of Puerto Ricans. I kno there's Puerto Rican communities in the cities of Chicago and Cleveland. But I was wonderin is there Puerto Rican communities in other cities in the Midwest region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Here's a map I found. Looks like Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Buffalo, and Detroit...and a little bit Columbus:

Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
There are some in Buffalo I believe, which is not technically in the Midwest, but it's close to Cleveland. Other than that I don't think so.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
There are a lot of Puerto Ricans in Campbell, Ohio outside of Youngstown and in the city itself. Many of them are first generation who came to work in the steel mills and their kids and grandkids. My one girlfriends is married to a guy that's 3/4 Puerto Rican and 1/4 Italian. I also used to work w/a lot of Puerto Ricans when I worked in the automotive industry. Campbell is known for being the home to mostly Puerto Ricans, Italians, and Greeks and many of them have inter-married.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM

35 posts, read 191,821 times
Thanx everybody.. Looks like Buffalo, Detroit, and Milwaukee have some.. I was hoping St. Louis or Indianapolis would have some, atleast more then 1,000

Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Chicago and Cleveland areas have the most Puerto Ricans in the Midwest, followed by Milwaukee and Detroit areas. Outside of those there really aren't any other large Puerto Rican communities in the Midwest.

Lorain Ohio (Cleveland area) actually has the highest Puerto Rican % of any city in the Midwest, around 18% Puerto Rican (and 26% Hispanic/Latino overall). Cleveland itself actually has the highest % of Puerto Ricans out of all the major midwest cities at around 7%, which is even higher than Chicago and Milwaukee.

Ohios Puerto Rican population is mainly in Northeast Ohio, specifically Cleveland-Lorain and Youngstown/Campbell. True Puerto Rican neighborhoods in the area are the near westside of Cleveland, South Lorain, and to a lesser extent the Eastside of Youngstown/Campbell area. I'm also half Puerto Rican and from/living in Cleveland-Lorain.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:56 PM

368 posts, read 453,491 times
Mods put this in the General US forum. The midwest is not just one state.

The metropolitan areas of Chicago, Cleveland, and Milwaukee have the largest PR populations in the Midwest.

Chicago has a large PR population on the city's West side. And also many of its western and northern suburbs, as well as many small cities in Northwest Indiana. The Chicago metro has the 5th largest Puerto rican population after the metros of NYC, Orlando, Philly, and Miami, the largest outside the eastcoast. Similar to NY, Chicago's PR population and influence is dwindling, many are going to the city's suburbs or to other states. Milwaukee's PR population is as large as it is partly becuz of its proximity to Chicago.

Ohio has a large Puerto Rican population, and is currently the most popular destination in the Midwest for Ricans. Close to 80% live in Northeast Ohio, including Cleveland (particularly the westside) and many of its suburbs and smaller cities like Lorain, Youngstown, and Akron. Cleveland has one of the highest percentages of Puerto Ricans of any large major city, highest in the Midwest. Northeast Ohio is still has growing numbers of Puerto Ricans.

Columbus also has a small but fast growing Puerto Rican population, mostly in the northeast part of the city. Many are moving from NYC, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit area, and Puerto Rico itself into Columbus.

Metro Detroit has a small, stagnant, and scattered PR population. Metro Indianapolis also has a small PR population present, many are moving there from Chicago.

Also Western New York, tho technically in a northeast state, this part of the state is in the Great Lakes region. It has cities like Rochester and Buffalo (and many smaller cities and suburbs) which have Huge Puerto Rican populations and influence, more so than Northeast Ohio and even more than parts of the coastal northeast (portions of NY CT NJ). In Rochester, Puerto Ricans are widespread in large numbers thru out the city, especially among blacks. In Buffalo, they are mainly on the westside.

I dont know if Western PA cities Pittsburgh and Erie is considered Midwest or not. But both have small and growing PR populations scattered thru out, many are coming from the coastal northeast especially NYC/NJ.

Tho majority of Puerto Rico migrants are going to the Eastcoast (I-95 from Boston to Miami). In the Midwest, Western NY (Buffalo & Rochester), Northeast Ohio/Cleveland area, and Columbus are really the only areas still recieving large numbers of Puerto Ricans. Chicago's PR population and influence is dwindling fast, many are leaving and its no longer a major destination for PR born migrants.

Last edited by Spreadofknowledge; 09-08-2017 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 08:51 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
In Cleveland, the Francisco Lindor effect?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
many were recruited by understaffed steel mills in the 50's, so Cleveland, Lorain, NW Indiana (Gary/Hammond/East Chicago), downriver area of Detroit (though more Mexican)....maybe Buffalo/Lackawanna? Some around North Hill in Akron too. But not Pittsburgh, oddly enough, that I know of.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
many were recruited by understaffed steel mills in the 50's, so Cleveland, Lorain, NW Indiana (Gary/Hammond/East Chicago), downriver area of Detroit (though more Mexican)....maybe Buffalo/Lackawanna? Some around North Hill in Akron too. But not Pittsburgh, oddly enough, that I know of.
Youngstown too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio