Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,683 times

Advertisements

I have the option of going to ohio for work and I was wondering which areas are considered dangerous? I've never been to ohio and will have the option of visiting the northern or south area of ohio. Which area would be safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,816 times
That's a bit of a strange question. Are you self-employed? If so, wouldn't your concern be more about which area would be the most profitable for your business? If your employer is sending you, wouldn't they know which area to send you to? What exactly is the work that you do that would enable you to pick which section of a state you can go to for a week?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Geez where do you think Ohio is ... Afghanistan?

Both northern and southern Ohio are perfectly safe for whatever you want to do, unless you plan on skydiving without a parachute or something along those lines.

Perhaps you should just stick to Amish country and call it a day.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Geez where do you think Ohio is ... Afghanistan?

Both northern and southern Ohio are perfectly safe for whatever you want to do, unless you plan on skydiving without a parachute or something along those lines.

Perhaps you should just stick to Amish country and call it a day.
Actually I would prefer the commute to be quick and painless because I am doing a favor for my boss. I was simply asking a question as a co-worker of mine told me he hated visiting ohio based on the ghetto/urban decay found everywhere.

No need to be sarcastic, but then again based on the quality of work by locals there it's not surprising.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Actually I would prefer the commute to be quick and painless because I am doing a favor for my boss. I was simply asking a question as a co-worker of mine told me he hated visiting ohio based on the ghetto/urban decay found everywhere.

No need to be sarcastic, but then again based on the quality of work by locals there it's not surprising.
You've obviously never been to Ohio. And, although I'm a little curious to know what utopian state you and your naive co-worker call home, it really doesn't matter.

But go ahead and keep believing what you want ... no sense letting reality get in the way of your preconceived notions based upon someone else's biases. But if you decide to formulate your own opinions based on your own experiences, there's plenty you'll love in either northern or southern Ohio. My suggestion would be to visit the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton.

And before you begin to judge the quality of work done by the people of this great state, you may want to consider some of what Ohio has offered and continues to offer the world. I think the Wright Brothers may have a thing or two to say about the so-called "quality of work by locals" in Ohio.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 05-19-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM

223 posts, read 608,893 times
Quote:
I have the option of going to ohio for work and I was wondering which areas are considered dangerous? I've never been to ohio and will have the option of visiting the northern or south area of ohio. Which area would be safer?
Go to the city of East Cleveland, it will remind you of New York.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
You've obviously never been to Ohio. And, although I'm a little curious to know what utopian state you and your naive co-worker call home, it really doesn't matter.

But go ahead and keep believing what you want ... no sense letting reality get in the way of your preconceived notions based upon someone else's biases. But if you decide to formulate your own opinions based on your own experiences, there's plenty you'll love in either northern or southern Ohio. My suggestion would be to visit the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton.

And before you begin to judge the quality of work done by the people of this great state, you may want to consider some of what Ohio has offered and continues to offer the world. I think the Wright Brothers may have a thing or two to say about the so-called "quality of work by locals" in Ohio.
Considering the company I work for is nation-wide and I was speaking on the work done by the employee who resides in Ohio that NEEDS help, I can safely say that YES the work done by locals is sub-par.

You really have an elitist attitude for someone who lives in the middle of no where. I asked for a local opinion on Ohio and you responded with a self-righteous tone as if I asked something that was way out of the question yet I see multiple threads talking about urban decay in this forum.

My "naive" co-worker lives in NYC, as do I. There are certain types of people that make your day harder when you're dealing with sensitive equipment that is open to the public. I guess anyone who does not agree with you is "naive" eh?

Bringing up the past is laughable because it's not like you accomplished it right? Why try and take credit for work you did not do yourself? Please get a clue on reality.

There is a difference between asking about safer areas for the sake of having a quicker work week and being afraid of locals. Please learn this difference.

Oh yea tough guy don't visit NYC, stick to your amish state

Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Considering the company I work for is nation-wide and I was speaking on the work done by the employee who resides in Ohio that NEEDS help, I can safely say that YES the work done by locals is sub-par.

You really have an elitist attitude for someone who lives in the middle of no where. I asked for a local opinion on Ohio and you responded with a self-righteous tone as if I asked something that was way out of the question yet I see multiple threads talking about urban decay in this forum.

My "naive" co-worker lives in NYC, as do I. There are certain types of people that make your day harder when you're dealing with sensitive equipment that is open to the public. I guess anyone who does not agree with you is "naive" eh?

Bringing up the past is laughable because it's not like you accomplished it right? Why try and take credit for work you did not do yourself? Please get a clue on reality.

There is a difference between asking about safer areas for the sake of having a quicker work week and being afraid of locals. Please learn this difference.

Oh yea tough guy don't visit NYC, stick to your amish state
First off, as a lifelong resident of Ohio, I do take offense at your categorization of "the work done by locals is sub-par." based on the ONE employee of your national company. I could infer that the work done by all employees of your company is sub-par also based on your statement concerning that same employee. Is that fair. No I'm afraid not.

Secondly, it takes roughly 4 hours to travel the width of our fine state, and about the same to travel the length. Diagonally is more. If I were to ask you for suggestions on where to stay because I had the chance to work in the state of New York for a week, what would your response be, Buffalo, Albany, Massena??? If you could tell us which part of the state you will be working in, we could give better suggestions of where to stay and what is available for your spare time.

As for the negative comments about urban areas, you will find them everywhere. Some people just naturally have nothing good to say about anything. Take them with a grain of salt, please. You will find "safe" and "unsafe" areas in any state. And it also depends on your definition of "unsafe".

Maybe part of the problem here comes from your preconceived notions of our state. Perhaps you could step back, reread your original post (only with New York in the place of Ohio) and realize how your question came across. Then reword your question to ask what you really want to know, with more complete information and without the condescending attitude, and you will likely receive many good suggestions.

And by the way, I have visited NYC, had a very nice time, and learned a lot about your city by keeping my eyes, ears, and mind wide open.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
cee4, what are you going on about? Perhaps if your questions weren't so veiled in mystery and came straight to the point without insulting people, you'd have gotten a straight answer. But after all your yammering, we still don't know why you're coming to Ohio, what you'll be doing when you get there, and what it is you're so damned afraid of.

Quote:
Diagonally is more.
I dunno about you, but I can get from Cincinnati to Cleveland in less than 4 hours.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Ohio is 44,825 square miles in area. I would bet that less than 100 of them would be considered "unsafe."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio