Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Um, no way does that apply to Miami. Much of greater Miami is a ghetto dump full of uneducated people from South America. It just happens to have a couple sections that are some of the best in the country and it gets hyped because of that. Miami Beach does have the hottest women in the country though.
True, but Miami does still have a significant upper middle class hispanic population, the kind that doesn't really exist in Chicago. I would say generally many South Americans come to the states with a fair amount or preperation for advancement into the middle class. Obviously that depends on an individuals family background. Its more Central Americans (and Puerto Ricans) that have a lower rate of being upscale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
True, but Miami does still have a significant upper middle class hispanic population, the kind that doesn't really exist in Chicago.
Well that is true. The same also applies to much of the Southwest.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
I just can't imagine moving to the suburban wastelands that are these Southern boomtowns. Charlotte, for example, has one of the lowest densities of a top 20 population city. Atlanta, Dallas, etc saw extremely low urban growth rates compared to the suburbs in the last census. Does anyone honestly believe that this is all sustainable? Cost of living is going to go up substantially, eliminating much of the initial draw from the North. Many places are already becoming more expensive than places in the MW and North.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Most of Chicago is poor or working class neighborhoods with very little amenities or anything that is of interest to someone from the outside. The actual sophistication per capita is definitely higher in those three cities than in Chicago.

Boston has its blue blooded heritage, its important American history, and its ivy league schools. San Fran has its creative heritage, its universities, hippies/granola, and feels European which means generally suggests more refined. Miami is sexy, and has many more upper class hispanics (Cubans, etc.) , (the kind of hot women you see on those Spanish TV channels like telemundo) Chicagos hispanic communities are overwhelingly peasant background from a few areas of Mexico.
ah, so the "league" of cities is determined by "sophistication per capita" and your romanticized version of select locales.

in that case i can think of a dozen college towns that blow san francisco and boston out of the water.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:07 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex?il? View Post
most of chicago is poor or working class neighborhoods with very little amenities or anything that is of interest to someone from the outside.
lol

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
The founders settled near ample freshwater supplies and in milder climates for a reason. I give the southern "boom" another 10-15 years. Lack of water and high energy prices will kill them eventually as nearly everything in the south requires expensive artificial refrigeration for 6 months out of the year. Whoring yourselves out with big tax breaks and oppressive labor tactics doesn't negate these two basic, ever-looming facts. Big corporations can move out just as rapidly as they moved in. When you can't provide basic resources at a reasonable rate (which is just around the corner), kiss them goodbye. There is zero allegiance. None.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Most of Chicago is poor or working class neighborhoods with very little amenities or anything that is of interest to someone from the outside.
Wow. That is some ASTOUNDING ignorance right there.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:34 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The founders settled near ample freshwater supplies and in milder climates for a reason. I give the southern "boom" another 10-15 years. Lack of water and high energy prices will kill them eventually as nearly everything in the south requires expensive artificial refrigeration for 6 months out of the year. Whoring yourselves out with big tax breaks and oppressive labor tactics doesn't negate these two basic, ever-looming facts. Big corporations can move out just as rapidly as they moved in. When you can't provide basic resources at a reasonable rate (which is just around the corner), kiss them goodbye. There is zero allegiance. None.
Maybe you missed the memo, Charlotte turning into a national energy hub. Charlotte – From Financial Center to Energy Hub and Much More | Currents
I find it amazing how people from OH and CLE like to post these myths regarding other other parts of country where people are flocking to cover up the flaws and make you feel better where you live. I've lived in many areas of the country along with long stays in CLE and COL. I do business there and have family, in fact I have been in CLE most of this week. I know the area well. Tell me, where did the Great Northeast Blackout originate that shut down the power grid and left 55 million people without electricity? I don't see people flocking back my friend.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM

It actually began because of faulty telemetry data from the MISO in Indiana which consequently touched off a vast series of events. Either way, what does the origination of a blackout that happened 8 YEARS ago have to do with anything? Take your silly strawmen elsewhere. What is much more important (and apparently missed by you) is that, for the past 4 summers, people in much of GA have been sucking water out of their swimming pools to do dishes and saving water from the shower to flush their toilets. It's hitting critical mass in some of these areas already and the best retort you have is about the blackout (a complete non sequitur...by the way, the lights were back on in less than 12 hours in most places) and a turbine plant (completely irrelavent).

Maybe you also missed the memo that saying and doing are an ocean apart. It'll take a lot more than Siemens building a turbine plant in NC.
Charlotte grows as energy hub, but not everyone sees green | McClatchy

Also, my friend, Ohio is the 7th most populated state while ranking 34th in land area. We can do quite fine with a little stagnation in population growth. We have a long, long way to go before we come close to bottoming to the national population density average (where we rank 9th and are nearly 200 people/square mile over the national average). And, the only "flocking" that has been done is by those thinking a change of scenery will make for a better situation. All they're doing is moving their personal problems to places with little water and a huge need for high energy consumption in order to survive. They're all yours.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 06-23-2011 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I find it amazing how people who moved from Ohio to NC like to post these myths regarding other other parts of country where people are leaving to cover up the flaws and make you feel better where you live.
Do you see what I did there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio