Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 89,147 times

Advertisements

Gov. Ted Strickland admitted yesterday that his support for a federal plan to expand health-care coverage for children could cause a loss of state revenue, and it may affect his plan to sell $5 billion in bonds backed by payments from big tobacco and cigarettes.

That's because the health-care expansion would be paid for in part by increasing the federal tax on cigarettes, which could lead to fewer packs sold, less tax revenue and lower bond prices.

But Strickland said it's a price worth paying. ....

Read all here:
Cheap Cigarettes Online.Cheap Marlboro Cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 20,578 times
yae here we go again,,, pick on the the middle class,, rase tax on cigs, why dont you leave us alone and tax the rich,oh yea ,that would mean you

Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Heck, I don't even know what a pack cost these days. I quit smoking last year February and feeling better for it too. I still find it funny that they can have a cintax to get money to build two stadium but can raise the money to update schools for the children.

Let see, Sport, Schools, Sports, Schools, Sports, Schools, AW to heck with the schools, lets build more useless sports stadium and pay the players MILLIONS to play Childrens games.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 AM

69 posts, read 191,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_XXX View Post
Gov. Ted Strickland admitted yesterday that his support for a federal plan to expand health-care coverage for children could cause a loss of state revenue, and it may affect his plan to sell $5 billion in bonds backed by payments from big tobacco and cigarettes.

That's because the health-care expansion would be paid for in part by increasing the federal tax on cigarettes, which could lead to fewer packs sold, less tax revenue and lower bond prices.

But Strickland said it's a price worth paying. ....

Read all here:
Cheap Cigarettes Online.Cheap Marlboro Cigarettes.
Can you show any correlation between the price of cigarettes going up and people quitting?

Because as a smoker of 33 years, who started smoking when a pack of cigarettes was $.50, I can assure you that all of those price increases along the way never even gave me pause to quit. (I quit six years ago.)

In other words, you made the claim that raising the price would lead to less packs sold, can you back that assertion up with a credible source?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
nicotine is an addiction,no different than heroin, I smoked for 31 years and hated nearly every puff,but I knew My body needed it.
finally I realized waking up and coughing till I puked that I had to quit or die a slow painful death.
I went from 3 1/2 packs a day to none,after 3 days the body stops craving the nicotine but the mind still wants the cig.in hand,,the feel going in and out of your throat,reaching for one etc.
many times I would buy cigs and skip lunch because I couldn't afford both, its been 16 years since I quit and I still have a smokers hack, but I feel better,I dont catch colds as easily as I used to.
fess up smokers you are addicts and most are the first to complain about drug addicts........smokum if ya got um?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfan566 View Post
yae here we go again,,, pick on the the middle class,, rase tax on cigs, why dont you leave us alone and tax the rich,oh yea ,that would mean you
there are far better examples of class warfare that are actually class warfare. cigarette taxes allow for monetizing the addictions of a number of people in a number of classes.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
Lets face it, if your going to smoke, your going to pay the price of health care! Lots of people complain that they wouldnt buy a pack of ciggarrettes if it was over a buck, now what, its around 5 or so bucks a pack??? And they are still buying! The Cigarrette Companies know that once your hooked, its a hard habit to break and they almost got you for life!

I figure, if your going to ruin your own health by smoking and those around you..(yea its proven that second hand smoke is bad for kids and everyone else, despite what you say), then you should pay as much as they want to raise the 'sin tax' on the cancer sticks!

Just my opinioin.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 14,869 times
I dunno.... heart disease and the fat clogging foods that cause it are killing more people / costing more in tax dollars than smokes ever will.
And drinking causes more legal fees, car accidents & deaths.

But let's tax the smokers?

I don't smoke, but I'm thinking it's unconstitutional to keep slamming taxes on a group of people because another group considers it a "sin". Quite frankly, until they start nailing McDonald's with huge taxes ... I'll keep bitching about these types of taxes. McDonald's (and similar types of eating places / food items) are hurting more kids and adults than cigs can even come close to.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 AM

69 posts, read 191,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighnaustin View Post
I dunno.... heart disease and the fat clogging foods that cause it are killing more people / costing more in tax dollars than smokes ever will.
And drinking causes more legal fees, car accidents & deaths.

But let's tax the smokers?

I don't smoke, but I'm thinking it's unconstitutional to keep slamming taxes on a group of people because another group considers it a "sin". Quite frankly, until they start nailing McDonald's with huge taxes ... I'll keep bitching about these types of taxes. McDonald's (and similar types of eating places / food items) are hurting more kids and adults than cigs can even come close to.
I'm curious, what exactly do you believe is unconstitutional about taxing tobacco products? I see nothing in the Constitution that would lead me to believe that tobacco is protected. Can you point out where specifically in the Constitution you believe that taxing tobacco or taxing tobacco products at a different rate than any other product would be prohibited?

And yes, I do agree with you that alcohol and certainly junk foods present serious health risks - but I know that when one brings up that argument I often hear others claim that they have a right to eat or drink whatever they choose - not that I agree with that assertion.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,893 times
there is nothing in the us constitution about smoking, or eating- if you actually read the document or case law. "unconstitutional" is a word people like throw around to bolster arguments without actually having to read the document. the reason you do not have a food tax like that is because the food producers make sufficent money to lobby, have popular support, and the food they make does not slowly kill people as the main function of the material; tobacco power has waned over the years outside of the carolinas for those reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: