U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,043,072 times
Reputation: 7456

Advertisements

Did anyone feel the earthquake a few minutes ago? They're saying that Ohio, DC, and NY are feeling the effects from a 5.8 earthquake that originated in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
 
Location: livin' the good life
2,147 posts, read 3,659,260 times
Reputation: 1238
Sounds like pretty widespread. My wife & I felt it down in Charlotte, NC at a little before 2pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
 
5,340 posts, read 8,007,002 times
Reputation: 9617
Watching the Indians game, earthquake hit in the 4th inning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,043,072 times
Reputation: 7456
I'm sitting at my desk, and all of a sudden I thought that I was having a dizzy spell or something. It was kind of like that feeling you get on a tall building, where your equilibrium is off. Then 2 of my co-workers are like "did you feel that?" Then no sooner do we start discussing it, my wife emails me, asking if I felt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Ohio
904 posts, read 1,631,278 times
Reputation: 1164
No, I didn't, but a lot of people in my area did. I'm a little disappointed I didn't feel it lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Oxford, Ohio
901 posts, read 2,013,115 times
Reputation: 692
People are already going on hyperbole overload here in the Cincinnati area (which doesn't surprise me, since people around here usually blow things out of proportion), saying things like "the building I was in shook like crazy". Um, yeah...sure it did. I can concede that maybe it shook a bit, but like crazy? Really??? The shaking was that bad, huh? That's funny, because I'd think if the ground shook violently enough to cause a building to shake like crazy, it would have pretty much been felt all over the SW Ohio area....yet I felt absolutely NOTHING here in Hamilton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,043,072 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
People are already going on hyperbole overload here in the Cincinnati area (which doesn't surprise me, since people around here usually blow things out of proportion), saying things like "the building I was in shook like crazy". Um, yeah...sure it did. I can concede that maybe it shook a bit, but like crazy? Really??? The shaking was that bad, huh? That's funny, because I'd think if the ground shook violently enough to cause a building to shake like crazy, it would have pretty much been felt all over the SW Ohio area....yet I felt absolutely NOTHING here in Hamilton.

Yeah, we Ohioans tend to do that here. Then again, how often do we get earthquakes? I've felt them in the past, but I'm sure they're nothing like in California. At any rate, it more or less felt like a slight swaying, like when you're on a boat, or in a tall building, which is why I thought at first I was having a dizzy spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
191 posts, read 386,088 times
Reputation: 72
We felt it here in downtown Cleveland. My fiancee works on the 15th floor of a building and they had to evacuate temporarily. I've never really felt an earthquake that big before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Oxford, Ohio
901 posts, read 2,013,115 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yeah, we Ohioans tend to do that here. Then again, how often do we get earthquakes? I've felt them in the past, but I'm sure they're nothing like in California. At any rate, it more or less felt like a slight swaying, like when you're on a boat, or in a tall building, which is why I thought at first I was having a dizzy spell.
I know...we really don't get earthquakes too often. And I've definitely felt one before. In fact, the last one I felt woke me up. I was sleeping in a recliner and woke up to a gentle shaking back and forth. I lived near some railroad tracks and thought it was just an extra heavy train rumbling by at the time. Later found out it was the quake. It lasted a good 30 seconds, but I wouldn't consider it as "crazy" shaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
We felt it here in downtown Cleveland. My fiancee works on the 15th floor of a building and they had to evacuate temporarily. I've never really felt an earthquake that big before.
I wonder if that's because the quake was so shallow? I remember a time back in the 80s when a quake hit somewhere up around NE Ohio...my grandparents were living up there at the time...and I felt it in Delhi. Funny enough, I was sitting on the toilet when it hit and it felt like someone grabbed the commode and jolted it suddenly from side to side. Only last a quick second, and that was it. Nothing else. No other damage in the house or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top