Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times

Advertisements

I would say Steubenville is a small city rather than small town. It feels a lot larger than it's population says, I think that has to do with it being more urban and it also used to have a lot higher population, lost over 50% since the peak. Very interesting little city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,153 times
We moved to Spencerville a year ago & I love the school system & location. It's only about 15-20 minutes from Lima. Far enough to avoid the crime but close enough that I can get anything I need without spending a whole day doing it.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
If you're looking for a safe community with exceptional schooling you should definitely consider the columbus metropolitan area, i.e. dublin, olentangy, upper arlington, and hilliard. i have lived and attended schooling in dublin, a smaller suburban community, and would suggest it to anyone interested in relocating. there's an extremely low crime rate which is unfortunate for teenagers as all the police have to do is write speeding tickets and bust high school parties. below is a excerpt from the dublin city schools web page

"The district has received the State of Ohio’s highest possible rating for eight consecutive years, bolstering its statewide reputation for academic and extracurricular excellence.

According to Ohio Department of Education statistics, Dublin City Schools is the 12th largest district in the state.

All students in the Dublin City School District are entitled to the best public education possible. Our staff, our parents and our administrators all work together in Dublin to ensure student learning is maximized and personalized to the greatest possible extent.

• 19 schools in operation; 3 high schools, 4 middle schools, and 12 elementary schools housing six preschool units

• Fall 2011 enrollment is approximately 14,400 students

• More than 1,200 ELL (English Language Learners) speaking more than 60 different languages are enrolled"

The only downside to living in this area is the high living costs as dublin is known to be home for wealthier people and professional athletes.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM

450 posts, read 1,055,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvrade92 View Post
If you're looking for a safe community with exceptional schooling you should definitely consider the columbus metropolitan area, i.e. dublin, olentangy, upper arlington, and hilliard. i have lived and attended schooling in dublin, a smaller suburban community, and would suggest it to anyone interested in relocating. there's an extremely low crime rate which is unfortunate for teenagers as all the police have to do is write speeding tickets and bust high school parties. below is a excerpt from the dublin city schools web page

"The district has received the State of Ohio’s highest possible rating for eight consecutive years, bolstering its statewide reputation for academic and extracurricular excellence.

According to Ohio Department of Education statistics, Dublin City Schools is the 12th largest district in the state.

All students in the Dublin City School District are entitled to the best public education possible. Our staff, our parents and our administrators all work together in Dublin to ensure student learning is maximized and personalized to the greatest possible extent.

• 19 schools in operation; 3 high schools, 4 middle schools, and 12 elementary schools housing six preschool units

• Fall 2011 enrollment is approximately 14,400 students

• More than 1,200 ELL (English Language Learners) speaking more than 60 different languages are enrolled"

The only downside to living in this area is the high living costs as dublin is known to be home for wealthier people and professional athletes.
I believe the OP inquired about smaller towns, not over-crowded, over-priced, over-built suburbs of Columbus.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,798,796 times
Garrettsville.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,368,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Mansfield has high crime and bad schools as well, plus I wouldn't exactly call it a "small town" either seeing it's population is around 50k. Really a lot of the cities mentioned are really "small cities" too large to be considered "small towns".
You are pretty accurate about Mansfield, I grew up there. It's heyday was during the industrial revolution through the 1970s. The decline of manufacturing in the rust belt hurt this city (closing of Ohio Brass, White-Westinghouse, Mansfield Tire and more) and the nail in the coffin was GM closing it's Ontario plant. There were many millionaires in Mansfiled in the 40s, beautiful house on Park Ave. that would cost well over a million $s in bigger cities that you could get for $100k. Classic case of loss of middle class, you have the 'lower class' and upper middle class in the city. The city of Lexington just outside of Mansfield is where you would live if you like good schools and small town community feel. Ashland is a nice small town (my wife went to AU).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio