U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,550 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Ok so I like small towns and would like to know of any you can tell me about with friendly people and good schools. Me and my husband are trying to figure out where to move to, we live in Fostoria, OH now and have lived in a few cities around here. We would like to move an hour or more away. Any help you can give me would be nice thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,372 posts, read 4,623,858 times
Reputation: 1137
Sandusky, Athens, Yellow Springs, Oakwood (suburban, but has some charm), Bowling Green, Lima are my favorites.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,070 posts, read 11,014,559 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Sandusky, Athens, Yellow Springs, Oakwood (suburban, but has some charm), Bowling Green, Lima are my favorites.
I would take Sandusky and Lima out, both have high crime and bad schools. I do like Sandusky though even though it's a little rough.

There's a ton of nice small towns in Ohio. Just in the NE Ohio side I would add Oberlin, Amherst, Chardon, Chesterland, Medina, Wooster, Ashland, Cortland, etc more as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,372 posts, read 4,623,858 times
Reputation: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
I would take Sandusky and Lima out, both have high crime and bad schools. I do like Sandusky though even though it's a little rough.

There's a ton of nice small towns in Ohio. Just in the NE Ohio side I would add Oberlin, Amherst, Chardon, Chesterland, Medina, Wooster, Ashland, Cortland, etc more as well.
I didn't even think about Ashland. I'm a big fan of Mansfield. It's got character.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,926 posts, read 11,378,176 times
Reputation: 12402
Yeah, Ashland's nice. We visited last year as it's my town of birth, and I found it very charming with the library, university, quiet neighborhoods, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
 
6,256 posts, read 7,624,057 times
Reputation: 3476
Sugarcreek is the Switzerland of Ohio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Ohio
668 posts, read 1,991,174 times
Reputation: 823
I personally like Steubenville. It has Public and Catholic Schools, a University (Catholic) and a College (Eastern Gateway Community College). We have two libraries.

We also have an excellent foot ball program, and Leigon Baseball.

We are a town of 24,000 people, which isnt small, but, not big either

We are 20 miles North of Wheeling West Virginia, 40 miles West of Pittsburgh PA , 60 miles South of Youngstown Ohio, and 110 miles from Lake Erie

I wish you well...

Jesse
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,070 posts, read 11,014,559 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I didn't even think about Ashland. I'm a big fan of Mansfield. It's got character.
Mansfield has high crime and bad schools as well, plus I wouldn't exactly call it a "small town" either seeing it's population is around 50k. Really a lot of the cities mentioned are really "small cities" too large to be considered "small towns".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
3,341 posts, read 6,192,643 times
Reputation: 2072
what do you consider small town? 8,000 or 800? Ottawa is about an hour from you and is a very nice town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,566 posts, read 10,712,985 times
Reputation: 6927
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
I personally like Steubenville. It has Public and Catholic Schools, a University (Catholic) and a College (Eastern Gateway Community College). We have two libraries.

We also have an excellent foot ball program, and Leigon Baseball.

We are a town of 24,000 people, which isnt small, but, not big either

We are 20 miles North of Wheeling West Virginia, 40 miles West of Pittsburgh PA , 60 miles South of Youngstown Ohio, and 110 miles from Lake Erie

I wish you well...

Jesse
Well, you've got more people in your town and we have in the whole county, we only have about 14,000 people in Noble County and the city of Caldwell has maybe 2,000 people at the most, we have more horses and cattle out here than we do people....... I live between Belle Valley and Caldwell and I wouldn't trade it for anything....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top