Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:45 PM

77 posts, read 285,917 times

Advertisements

I have been working in Sharon, PA for a month now and commuting from Pittsburgh to Sharon (77 miles each way). I'm looking for an apartment that will be much closer to work, and found some places well within my budget and dog friendly. Does anyone have any opinions of these places? Are the neighborhoods decent?

I'm currently living in the suburbs of Pittsburgh (South Hills), so I'm looking for something with a similar feel.

The Arbors - 1150 Salt Springs Rd. Lordstown, OH 44481
Hillbrook Apartments - 478 South Raccoon Rd. Austintown, OH 44515
Millcreek Village Apartments - 6819 Lockwood Blvd. Youngstown, OH 44512
Fox Run Apartments - 70 N. Raccoon Rd. Austintown, OH 44515
Four Seasons - 4222 New Rd. Austintown, OH 44515

Also, does anyone have any information about fees/procedures for DMV license and registration in Ohio?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 05:07 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
None of these places are going to feel like the South hills. Everything here is flat and organized. The traffic here is nothing like Lebanon-Church Rd. or Route 51. All of the neighborhoods that you mentioned are safe. Even the one on Lockwood Blvd. It's on the right side of Millcreek Park. The other side of the lake would be a different story.

The Austintown apartments would be convenient for you to jump on Route 11, and shoot over to Sharon. I think you would be bored in Austintown though. It's just a basic residential area with a few shopping plazas. There's nothing else there.

Lordstown would be the farthest West, and the most rural. I don't even think they have a grocery store in Lordstown. They do have a Dairy Queen, and a bank. General Motors is their claim to fame. Other than that, there is nothing there. You would go to Austintown to catch 11 again.
Was there anything in Brookfield, or Liberty Township? They would be closer.

When transferring a car from Pa. to Ohio, you must take it to any car dealer. They look at the vin number and sign a paper that says it matches your registration. That might cost 2 or 3 bucks. You then go to Southside or Westside Merchants and they do the rest of your paperwork. I think my latest car plate cost around $50. There is no inspection or emission in this part of Ohio. I probably forgot some stuff, but I'm sure somebody will fill in the blanks.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:09 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Hmmmm.... I'm not very familiar with South Hills, so I don't really know if any areas of Ytown would be similar. But I can give you my opinion of the areas around the apartments you found. (And keep in mind this is coming from a 22 yr old just out of college, so what you and I look for in an area might be completely different...) The best word I can use to describe Austintown would be "BLAH". It's one of Ytown's largest suburbs. It has lots of shopping, housing choices, some bars/clubs, etc, but IMHO it is ugly. There are lots of apartments in the New/Raccoon Roads area, but none of them are very aesthetically pleasing. Like SouthRange said, it would probably be a somewhat boring place to live.

The apartments on Lockwood are in Boardman (or maybe just over the line in Canfield Twp???). Boardman is Ytown's largest suburb and has the most shopping/restaurant options in the area. The Southern Park Mall is in Boardman. One advantage to living on Lockwood would be the proximity to Mill Creek Park, which really is a nice place. There is a golf course and a walking/biking trail not far from the apartments. Lockwood is also a very safe area that has seen a lot of development in the last 20 years +/-. The downside to living in Boardman would be that you are further away from Sharon. (I live in Boardman and I have relatives in Sharon and I'd say it's about a half hour drive to get to their house...)

Most of the area's plays, concerts, symphonies, museums, etc are in Downtown Youngstown. There are also a few restaurants/bars/clubs downtown, hopefully with more to come in the near future. Both Austintown and Boardman are only a short drive to downtown.

If you want less of a commute, I'd look for something in Liberty Twp (North of Ytown), Hubbard, Brookfield, or Hermitage PA. There's not much going on in any of those places though. Also, a commute from Niles, Howland or Warren wouldn't be too bad either.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:04 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I agree w/everyone else, but you may want to add Cortland to you list as well, sharon is about 20-25 minutes, there are some nice apartments off of fowler street. Also check out, Tribune-Chronicle and Vindy.com - The Valley's Homepage for local news, sports and information - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana Ohio for availability.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM

77 posts, read 285,917 times
Thanks South Range, boardmanite, and CortlandGirl for all of your help. I finally settled on a complex named Deer Creek Apartments off of Kirk Road in Austintown. You are all right, there's not much to do in Austintown, but I have a car, and opportunities for things to do are all close. It's only 20 miles to work, and the apartment is the right price, so I'm not complaining.

Austintown seems pretty safe (rural even in parts) and the apartments are a little older, but will fit the bill nicely. Thanks again for all the help! Now I just have to move.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Glad to hear you found a place. I have never spent a lot of time in austintown, but it seems like a good place w/all the everyday shopping you need, plus it's close to I-80, so that's good. Good luck w/the move!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Good luck! Hope you enjoy living in the valley!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Oh, and let us know what you think of Youngstown! It's always interesting to get a newcomer's perspective...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio