U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 PM

365 posts, read 759,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm pretty sure those are the original colors/face of the tile. I think the recessed area around the glass block was the same accent color as the horizontal stripes.

So, I hope they don't do any more painting. So far, it looks like they only painted surfaces that were already painted before. (the whole building could use a good cleaning, though)
I think if it was done properly, painting the facade wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not sure what would be invovled with something like that, but didn't they do something similar on the Burt Building on Federal? I seem to recall seeing some photos of a worker "restoring" the terra cotta, which looked an awful lot like they were being painted.

The only downside I see is, where do you stop? In a perfect world, I'd love to see the glass block replaced and all the stainless polished to it's original mirror-like finish, but... one has to be realistic! lol

Speaking of restorations, have you updated your thread dedicated to your house lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,772,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma CTS View Post
Speaking of restorations, have you updated your thread dedicated to your house lately?
I was searching for this thread, but didn't find it. I'd like to see it.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 PM

3,268 posts, read 4,167,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma CTS View Post
I think if it was done properly, painting the facade wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not sure what would be invovled with something like that, but didn't they do something similar on the Burt Building on Federal? I seem to recall seeing some photos of a worker "restoring" the terra cotta, which looked an awful lot like they were being painted.

The only downside I see is, where do you stop? In a perfect world, I'd love to see the glass block replaced and all the stainless polished to it's original mirror-like finish, but... one has to be realistic! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I was searching for this thread, but didn't find it. I'd like to see it.
I don't want to share the thread on this site. I'll send a DM, with the thread that I post to fairly regularly, to those who have asked to see.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 AM

2,554 posts, read 3,913,711 times
Wow, I really need to get back down there and check out the art deco. I am a huge fan of art deco and looks like Youngstown has a great collection of it.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 932 times
I was born in Youngstown in '57. Moved away with my family to Southern California in '62. In my late-teen years I lived in breathtakingly beautiful places like Montana and Colorado. A 21-year career in the Air Force took me all over the world. I've since retired to Las Vegas, Nevada. The funny thing is, after all those moves, seeing all those places, experiencing all those people, the one place that beckons to me like no other is Youngstown, Ohio. Thanks for posting the pics... they impel me like nothing else to make one last, final move.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 AM

11,032 posts, read 9,547,747 times
I am consistently amazed by the beauty of places such as Youngstown! Why am I amazed? Because for the past 60 years Americans have been shunning city life - especially small city life, for the dubious joys of the suburbs.

More recently, people have been abandoning any northern or mid-western city - or suburb for the South. I see it here in Wilkes-Barre PA and surrounding areas as well.

Does anyone else think that in the next several years, some of the US's beautifully constructed, culturally rich, "Rust Belt" cities such as Youngstown, will experience comebacks?

I could not help but notice that many of the largest and most stately homes were empty and in poor shape. I think it would be a great idea to offer incentives to would be resident owners, to purchase these homes. I have been advocating this here in Wilkes-Barre, but no one seems to be listening.

I think if cities do not take such action, we will become a nation of mini McMansion dwellers, lost is the vacant vortex of evil that includes Walmart, Mega Churches, strip malls and a lack of community and culture.

Thanks for the wonderful photo tour! I can tell that you have a heart for your hometown!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am consistently amazed by the beauty of places such as Youngstown! Why am I amazed? Because for the past 60 years Americans have been shunning city life - especially small city life, for the dubious joys of the suburbs.

More recently, people have been abandoning any northern or mid-western city - or suburb for the South.I see it here in Wilkes-Barre PA and surrounding areas as well.

Does anyone else think that in the next several years, some of the US's beautifully constructed, culturally rich, "Rust Belt" cities such as Youngstown, will experience comebacks?

I could not help but notice that many of the largest and most stately homes were empty and in poor shape. I think it would be a great idea to offer incentives to would be resident owners, to purchase these homes. I have been advocating this here in Wilkes-Barre, but no one seems to be listening.

I think if cities do not take such action, we will become a nation of mini McMansion dwellers, lost is the vacant vortex of evil that includes Walmart, Mega Churches, strip malls and a lack of community and culture.

Thanks for the wonderful photo tour! I can tell that you have a heart for your hometown!
If you look on a real-estate website, you see that there are almost no houses for sale in the Wick Park neighborhood. Many of the homes I pictured there are tied up in real-estate nightmares. Some of those properties went into foreclosure, (and some of the banks walked away) Some of those properties had owners who died, leaving the house to the next of kin, who cares even less about the house. (until someone finds them, and expresses an interest in the house--then it's worth a lot to them) And, even if you could find a house to buy, you would have a hard time finding a bank that would lend you the money to buy and renovate the house. Luckily, Mahoning County has recently created a land bank that will make it easier for someone to buy the house, at least.

Between trying to find a bank that would lend, and the previous owner, who barely wanted to sell, it took me over a year to buy my project house. (I never did find a bank, I'm in a land contract with the previous owner, and am doing the work myself with my own savings.)

Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 PM

2,203 posts, read 1,949,474 times
I was born in Youngstown in the late 40's and moved to California in the late 50's. I lived on
Ellenwood. A relative told me my house had burned down. When I looked on Google I noticed
unfortunately many of the houses were gone, lots were empty. How sad, it used to be a nice
area when I was a kid. The school (Garfield Elementary) that was on the next street is
also gone.
Thanks to those who took the pictures, I'm glad there are still some beautiful places.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM

359 posts, read 312,742 times
It is nice to see someone capture more of Youngstown than boarded up houses... Nice pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio