Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 PM

365 posts, read 1,402,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was home with family for Thanksgiving break, and just saw these new replies.

Sigma CTS, didn't you have a series of photos from the Crab Creek area on the north side? I thought those were particularly interesting because nature had almost completely reclaimed the area.
JR_C - I did, but those are the ones that I managed to lose track of. I might re-shoot that area tomorrow seeing how it's supposed to be so nice. Plus, with the lack of rain, I might be able to work my way further up the creek this time. There's supposed to be some overgrown structures along the banks somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
The Federal Building project was particularly successful. All the apartments were rented even before the building was completed. Also, the managers of the Realty Building finally saw sense, and lowered their rates. And now, both buildings have a waiting list! Next will be the Erie Terminal, which is under renovation now.

But, these small successes aren't limited to downtown, although it has progressed the most. The Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation is renovating and selling houses in the Idora Neighborhood. In the Wick Park Neighborhood, I am fixing up a house, and there are a number of other people doing the same.
That's good to hear. Last I knew they were having trouble leasing out the Realty Bldg.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
It seems like Wick Parks history and architecture, plus its proximity to campus would attract academics, professors, college staff, etc to buying homes there. Maybe other professionals who appreciate such a neighborhood like lawyers, local politicians, doctors, business owners, and others of the financial means to purchase big old homes and rehab them?
This is true, to an extent. The "problem" is that the nice homes continue up Fifth Ave., and the upper north side around Crandall Park. The only difference is that the WPN's heyday was from the late 1890's to the early 1920's, and the upper north side has homes of equal quality from the 1920's through the 1940's.

Quote:
The proximity of Downtown and YSU will only mean good things. Here in Toledo, we wish we could have a stronger college influence on our Downtown, but the University of Toledo is about 3 miles away from Downtown. We were successful in having UTs Art School locate itself at the Toledo Museum Of Art which is close to downtown, in our Old West End neighborhood, which seems kinda like Wick Park.

Is there much in the way of entertainment options for younger people downtown, or around campus at all? I would think there would be demand for walkable options.
It depends on who you ask; there's never enough for some. But, IMO, there is as much around YSU and downtown, as there was in Kent when I attended back in the late 90's. But I was never into the bar/club scene, so I'm no expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That's good to hear. Last I knew they were having trouble leasing out the Realty Bldg.
Yes, they were having trouble filling their units because their rents were extremely high. Now, they are much more affordable, (still high-end for the area, though) and voila! they are filled up.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma CTS View Post
JR_C - I did, but those are the ones that I managed to lose track of. I might re-shoot that area tomorrow seeing how it's supposed to be so nice. Plus, with the lack of rain, I might be able to work my way further up the creek this time. There's supposed to be some overgrown structures along the banks somewhere.
I look forward to seeing them.

BTW, as someone who is interested in Youngstown's industrial history, you might like to know that there will be a "whistle blow" today at the old B&O station, from 10-2. A bunch of people bring their old steam whistles, and tap into a Youngstown Thermal steam line to try them out. If you have your camera, you might also be interested in shooting the abandoned West Ave. Bridge while you're over there.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:57 AM

365 posts, read 1,402,032 times
Quote:
I look forward to seeing them.

BTW, as someone who is interested in Youngstown's industrial history, you might like to know that there will be a "whistle blow" today at the old B&O station, from 10-2. A bunch of people bring their old steam whistles, and tap into a Youngstown Thermal steam line to try them out. If you have your camera, you might also be interested in shooting the abandoned West Ave. Bridge while you're over there.
Sounds like I better find my motivation and get out there then!

Unfortunately, the West Ave. Bridge is fenced off on both ends now. I know it was looking really rough the last time I was there. Many of the deck supports had come loose. A stop by the Youngstown Interchange Viaduct is always a must do though!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
]The Isaly Dairy Plant was designed by Charles F. Owsley in the 1930s. The building was taken over by U-Haul in the 1970s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobengland/338123921/ - broken link), 3, and 4. [
from Ohio Art Deco
(see http://digital.maag.ysu.edu:8080/xml...pdf?sequence=3 for more on Owsley)

Isaly's & Klondike by Brian Butko - Youngstown

Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
"Chevrolet Center" has been Covelli Centre since the GM problem back in 2008 or so. That's an older picture.

In this photo of the Jones Federal Building and Courthouse, those gray pipe things are just art. They are not part of any old industrial structure, or anything. They are supposed to represent the steel and metals smokestack industries, or something.

Last Fall, I had to go visit the IRS, in that building. All the nearby parking spots were full. So, I had to park in the municipal garage, a few blocks away, back by the Covelli Center. That garage is crumbling real fast now. While I was there, I turned my ankle on spalled concrete that I didn't see because the lights were out, and broke a bone. And a piece of concrete fell off the roof and hit my car. So it was, like, a triple-all-around absolute p*sser of a day. But I felt much better after getting an air cast, and that $4000 refund the government owed me. The car retains a golf ball size dent in the trunk lid. Thanks for the memories...

Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
"Chevrolet Center" has been Covelli Centre since the GM problem back in 2008 or so. That's an older picture.

In this photo of the Jones Federal Building and Courthouse, those gray pipe things are just art. They are not part of any old industrial structure, or anything. They are supposed to represent the steel and metals smokestack industries, or something.

Last Fall, I had to go visit the IRS, in that building. All the nearby parking spots were full. So, I had to park in the municipal garage, a few blocks away, back by the Covelli Center. That garage is crumbling real fast now. While I was there, I turned my ankle on spalled concrete that I didn't see because the lights were out, and broke a bone. And a piece of concrete fell off the roof and hit my car. So it was, like, a triple-all-around absolute p*sser of a day. But I felt much better after getting an air cast, and that $4000 refund the government owed me. The car retains a golf ball size dent in the trunk lid. Thanks for the memories...
What minicipal garage? Are you referring to the parking garage owned by the Frangos Group?

BTW, the Isaly Dairy/Uhaul Building has been spruced up lately, and doesn't look quite so run down anymore.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,502 times
You take some wonderful pictures.... Excellent photography...

Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Youngstown reminds me of a mini-Toledo. And I love Toledo.
I've been to Youngstown before once and It did feel like a miniature Toledo a bit, but the difference I also noticed was the YSU campus was right next to downtown... You don't have to drive 3 to 4 miles down a Dorr Street to get there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio