Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,523 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am considering taking a job at Franciscan University of Steubenville, but I'm wondering if members of the forum might be able to help me with my decision. I read several threads here on the city and the area and I have some concerns, but I'd like to see what people who live or have lived there think.

1) It seems that the city itself of Steubenville might not be a great place to live, but which parts of the city are nicer? If I lived outside of the city, would traveling to and from the university campus be safe?

2) Which towns outside of Steubenville are nice places to live? I did look at some towns, but they seem small and not much better than Steubenville in terms of average income, jobs, entertainment, etc. I am looking for a nice little town that is safe and has some restaurants and shopping to do. Where would be some good towns to look at? Is it a good idea to look at West Virginia and Pennsylvania as well?

3) I wonder about the sulfur smell that several people have commented on. Is this really a bothersome problem? Would I get there and instantly regret going to live there because of this? And also on this site it indicates that the air quality and pollution is much worse than other parts of the state. Does anyone know if this really poses a significant health hazard to residents, or is it just annoying?

4) Are residents of the area welcoming to the professors who work at the university, or is there a clash with the townspeople?

5) My husband would need to find a job in the area, but it seems that jobs are few and far between. He is also a professor - he teaches Portuguese and Spanish, but I don't think there's anything available for him at the university. He could use his language skills in something, or work with computers, also. Do you think it would be very difficult for him to find something that pays well?

Thank you in advance for your help, it is so great to get local residents' perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Steubenville and it's sister WV sister, Weirton and the rest of the upper Ohio Valley suffered greatly from the 70s and 80s especially and continued to be economically depressed through today.

The good news, is the damage (the hit) really happened then. The area is stable in its own way, but lacks job growth. The stability comes from the the economy having forced many people out 30 years ago, that the demographics are pretty old.

Housing is very, very inexpensive. I don't recall any smell. Maybe for those who literally lived adjacent to a mill perhaps, but the mills are nothing compared to their former selves. It's all but done. Access to Pittsburgh is good and even better to the airport.

You can find decent neighborhoods in the western part of the city (it's too small to have real suburbs - Wintersville is the only "suburb" really) or the eastern part of Weirton WV, near route 22. Just be prepared, it's mostly older housing stock, some of which is great of course, and with that comes nice traditional neighborhoods.

Your husband might want to look at a list of colleges, but aside from Franciscan, the county has a community college, there's a Kent State branch about 15 minutes north in East Liverpool OH. Wheeling is about a half hour drive south and has Wheeling Jesuit College, and there are a couple other schools in the Northernn panhandle of WV.

And there are several colleges in Pittsburgh, and literally a couple dozen more within the Pgh metro.

I hope that helps.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 AM

5 posts, read 19,523 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you so much, your reply is extremely helpful!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Check out the North Fourth Street Historic District in Steubenville. There are some beautiful Victorian homes there and you can walk to downtown. I love Steubenville. I say live in the city and be part of its revitalization.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,331 times
There is a smell and a fog in the early morning. It's not terrible, but it's there and gross. Pittsburgh is a easy 45 min drive. Or Wheeling might have some good options for your husband. You could live in between and find a nice location. Steubenville itself is pretty depressed, although you can find good pockets. Go to a local diner and talk to people. The Ohio river valley has a lot of character and people love to talk about the city and its history. They'll tell you where to live too. Don't live downtown. Possibly the west end of sunset blvd. closer to wintersville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio