Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,875,999 times

Advertisements

Not a town I would consider at all. It takes on the characteristics of its neighbors of West Virginia and Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,238 times
Although I do not live in Portsmouth, I have family there and I used to work there. I would not live there. There are *no jobs.* I agree that a small number of people are "in power" and don't want other people to improve their lives, nor do they care enough about the city to try to get industry re-invested in the area. Portsmouth is a *major* rust-belt city. There have been half-hearted (IMO) attempts to invest in tourism. Perhaps that will pay off and attract business in the long run. If one is retired and doesn't have to worry about earning a living, and is looking for a place to buy a cheap, affordable house, then it might be a good place to consider. I don't think I would want to raise kids there. Drugs are a problem.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 AM

88 posts, read 406,804 times
The houses are jammed together there, and the economy does seem kinda depressed, but I could live there if I had too. I love the hills in the area, and also the Ohio River. The area surrounding Portsmouth does have a "homey" feel to it. The Rosemount hill area would seem like a good place to live, provided you wouldn't have to drive across that hill in the winter. We called this area "the little smokies, because they have big hills, almost mountains.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,329 times
Default Portsmouth = Potential

Portsmouth, Ohio is looking for and will be REALLY good to the "new settlers".
As pointed out by previous posts, it is a remarkably beautiful area, truly the foothills of Appalachia. There's a LONG standing relationship between poverty and Appalachia and Portsmouth shares that, too. But it's a relatively distinct population who remained in Portsmouth or other parts of Appalachia becoming more dependent of the government, drugs and crime over two generations. Those who could and wanted to GOT OUT and made good lives. Of those who remained behind, some went to school or got trained in some way and made a nice life and the others suffered and declined. Their poverty was further complicated by the staggering number of people who are overweight & or smoke. No wonder the medical system is flourishing & the biggest employer. Until just recently. There is a vigorous and enthusiastic alignment of enterprise, creativity & limitless potential for those who are in Portsmouth when the new boom begins. Several new corporations have either opened or are set to open in the next year, housing in really affordable and the schools are fabulous. But it will be the new influx of settlers and pioneers who will be on hand to re-create this river town. The culture and heritage of Appalachia is firmly embedded in the town. So to are the problems of long time poverty but the place is poised to make a comeback.
For non-smokers, energetic, hard working, upwardly focused people willing to get educated, stay healthy and desire MORE for and of their kids. This is the place.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 63,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleycash1 View Post
im sorry to inform you but portsmouth is one of the worst citys to live or visit i was born here and am currently living here.the crime rate and gangs that have taken over from bigger citys in ohio are outstanding.there are no jobs here,housing is horrible,people are always out to get what they can out of you,but don't ask them for help it's a sin.this is a welfare town ask anyone.the rich here are the masters and they keep it that way,they don't like to share,so they control local gov. to keep out higher paying jobs,for example theres a plastic factory in franklin furnace they used to start out at around $8 an hr. since minn. wage was raised they lowered there pay to match minn. wage.?thats nutts.i'm getting my familiy out of here agian and moving back to mn. now thats a place to live.....!! so good luck if you dare to live here.oh i almost forgot the cops are crooked to.and thats fact i personely know two who quit because of it.
I agree harleycash1, I used to live there and the one place I used to work
was considered a major employer there but is the heart of those running the town and it does little to help the area economy. I won't mention what it is this being a public forum but I think you know the place I am talking about.
I hope you get out of there as soon as possible and when you do, I wish God' blessing s on your trip back to Minnesota. God bless.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydale View Post
I have moved to Portsmouth about 7 months ago. i am from a town about 45 mins away and never visited. my town was nice and i love ohio so i thought ports would be ok. its not. if you do come do not live within the city limits and you better hope to have a job before coming or you will be saying would you like fries with that or you might get lucky and say paper or plastic. it is the worst county in ohio for drugs. and the crim is just as bad. my sister in-law had her car broken into 3 times in the matter of 4 months and it was never the same person. always visit before you move. i am not staying and i have a good job.
I had a good job there, too, at least as far as being in that area is concerned.
And the place I worked is run by the corrupt organization there. Want to guess who it is?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnard View Post
I moved here almost 3 years ago due to my husband's job. I have never seen a town so depressing. There is totally nothing going here.gs And everyday i am depressed. Maybe that is why there are so many addicts here..they just want to supress their feelings of boredom, poverty and dirty city (especially New boston). Chillicothe is like a ghost town.
I disagree that Chiilicothe is like a ghost town, I've been there and Chillicothe has more going for it than Portsmouth. In fact Chillicothe reminds me of some of Cincinnati's surrounding areas. If any one wished to choose between Portsmouth and Chillicothe, I'd say, Chillicothe all the way!

Last edited by Cincyman; 03-09-2008 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: mispell

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleycash1 View Post
im sorry to inform you but portsmouth is one of the worst citys to live or visit i was born here and am currently living here.the crime rate and gangs that have taken over from bigger citys in ohio are outstanding.there are no jobs here,housing is horrible,people are always out to get what they can out of you,but don't ask them for help it's a sin.this is a welfare town ask anyone.the rich here are the masters and they keep it that way,they don't like to share,so they control local gov. to keep out higher paying jobs,for example theres a plastic factory in franklin furnace they used to start out at around $8 an hr. since minn. wage was raised they lowered there pay to match minn. wage.?thats nutts.i'm getting my familiy out of here agian and moving back to mn. now thats a place to live.....!! so good luck if you dare to live here.oh i almost forgot the cops are crooked to.and thats fact i personely know two who quit because of it.
I have lived here my whole life and I agree, it is SLUM-VILLE! our crime rating is worse than Columbus and drugs, I would say half of Portsmouth is on welfare. I was one time sitting in the ER and over heard some people say that they all ready had some of those drugs and that they were'nt really sick and they just wanted drugs! Most of the doctors here are qacks! If u want to move here be sure that u are a nurse or something like that or u will be with out a job. I plan to leve one day as soon as im finished with school.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 PM

50 posts, read 297,538 times
I moved to northwest Ohio about a year ago and I'm thankful everyday. There are some really decent people in Portsmouth, but the area leaves much to be desired. Too many people neglect their property. There's no reason to be throwing trash everywhere, couches on your front porch, old fridge in your yard, etc.

My wife cried with hapiness the day I told her we were moving.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,574 times
Default Rental house in ohio

I want to rent a house in ohio cause im going to study at Shawnee, but its too hard for me from spain to find a house and I need some help, i need to know someone who have a house for rent, for two studients, we are good people, but if i dont find i house i will have to give up with my dream of going to usa to study
I hope you can help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio