Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 9,238 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have only been in Ohio for a year now and I've been renting. I moved here for a job and was really wanting to buy now. However, my credit is not good and I don't have much cash for a down payment. I am recovering from a financial crises but its going good now. I have better income than before and am building my credit back up. I know its not as easy to get a mortgage anymore for people in a my situation but I was hoping that I could find sometPZhing. I'd be looking to buy in a rural area if that might make a difference? I would be looking to buy in the Hillsboro or Washington Courthouse area but in the country. So if anyone could recommend someone or some place to start, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:10 PM

450 posts, read 1,059,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardamian View Post
Hi,
I have only been in Ohio for a year now and I've been renting. I moved here for a job and was really wanting to buy now. However, my credit is not good and I don't have much cash for a down payment. I am recovering from a financial crises but its going good now. I have better income than before and am building my credit back up. I know its not as easy to get a mortgage anymore for people in a my situation but I was hoping that I could find sometPZhing. I'd be looking to buy in a rural area if that might make a difference? I would be looking to buy in the Hillsboro or Washington Courthouse area but in the country. So if anyone could recommend someone or some place to start, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
You've chosen a beautiful area of Ohio, but jobs are not plentiful, so happily you indicate you are employed. I would check the USA.gov website, for the CFDA (Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance). Since you want to live in the country, you would likely qualify for a rural housing loan through the Dept. of Agricultural. Look for the Farm Credit Agency office in whichever county (Fayette or Highland) you choose to reside. also request your annual free credit report from the 3 major reporting agencies. They have to supply it to you by law. You can ask the people at Farm Credit what score you need on your credit report and then take steps to achieve that. Finally, for a government backed mortgage you'll need about 3 1/2% down and you can finance your closing costs. I would do some of this legwork first if I were in your shoes and save a mortgage broker as a last resort. Nothing against those dudes, but you'll end up paying them big bucks for finding you some mortgage money that you may very well be able to obtain by yourself. If they work for you, well they are entitled to their fee, but try it on your own first. BTW, let me know how you've done in a future post. Good luck

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 9,238 times
Good advice, thank you I appreciate it. I didn't know about these RD mortgages. I have now started to research them and it looks promising. I'm going to work on my credit and save until my lease is up so I'll be in a better position when its time to move so hopefully I will be moving to my own house Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio