Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 19,296 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Warren,Ohio in June. I have been apartment hunting and came across the Sawgrass Condominium Rental Property.I wanted to know do anyone know much about this Rental Property or the local area. Never been to Ohio before and just want to hear some insight. My family will be moving with me so schools and a safe environment is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,895,334 times
I don't know a ton about Sawgrass, but it's probably one of the newest and nicest apartment places in this area. It's located in Warren, but is Howland Schools, which most people consider good schools. It's a great location, about five minutes to the Eastwood Mall, five minutes to downtown Warren, great highway access and lots of shopping, restaurants, etc nearby. I think it's a great place to be while you're familiarizing yourself w/the area. I will say that those apts/condos are pretty expensive rentals for this area, you can get an older apartment for $100+/month less, but you won't have a garage. I rent the downstairs of an old house in a nice neighborhood w/good schools for $500/month. I'm not sure how many people are in your family, but there are decent rentals around here in good school districts for between $450-$700/month. You might also consider renting a house. I would check TribToday.com - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Tribune Chronicle - Warren, OH for area rentals.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. I know Howland, Niles, Warren, Cortland, etc very well and I could tell you if certain streets are good/bad/undesirable/excellent, etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Thank you CortlandGirl79 for your reply. I was thinking the same way about the expensiveness of the apartments but I do want a 2 car garage. My job will be in Farrell,PA so I don't want to be too far (within 20-30 mins) from my job. I wouldn't know where to begin as far as locations because like anywhere there are good and bad in every city. I will not have time to visit prior my move so basically the internet is the only place i been reading reviews and the Sawgrass area so far has the most positives. But like anyone else if i can save a couple hundred of dollars and get the same quality of living then I am all for it. We are a 5 member household with kids ages 5,12,14.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM

With that many people in your household and the access to Rt. 82 I'm thinking Sawgrass will be your best bet. It may be a tad expensive for this area, but it seems really nice and you would have enough room for you and the kids. Hermitage, Pa is a nice area too, but I think the taxes are cheaper in Ohio and we have more going on this side of the border. Where are you all moving from?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 AM

737 posts, read 1,143,967 times
Sawgrass is close to the park. A lot of activities for kids.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Thanks..CortlandGirl79 and jodipper......we will be moving from Little Rock, Ar. We are moving as part of a PCS move with the military.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM

737 posts, read 1,143,967 times
If your renting with kids I think Sawgrass is the place to go. You can google Howland and see what there is. Also try howlandtownship.org/parks. Your 5 year old will love tigertown. Sawgrass is about 1/2 mile from the main park.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,662,762 times
Ohio residents that work in Pennsylvania are now forced to pay their 1% wage tax. If you live in an Ohio city that takes a wage tax, you will pay that too.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM

46 posts, read 93,093 times
Welcome to the Mahoning Valley. Sawgrass Condos are nice. Having looked at them in the past, they did seem a little small for the price. I have had co-workers who have lived back there and were able to negotiate the rental rate. I do believe all of the condos in Sawgrass have a 1 car garage.

Although a little more expensive, Avalon Creek Apartments just up East Market Street in Vienna Twp are very nice. They are on the border of Vienna and Howland Twp, so I am not sure which school district it would be. Vienna goes to Mathews Local Schools, which is a good school system from what I have heard. But being so close to Howland, it is possible your children could attend Howland Schools.

https://property.onesite.realpage.co...siteid=1110510

They are very nice apartments, but are priced higher than Sawgrass and are much newer and is a gated community. I am sure rent is negotiable as well. Avalon Creek will offer the 2 car garage you are looking for.

As Cortlandgirl79 mentioned, it may be a great idea to look for condos or homes to rent in the area. I live in a condo development just off Rt. 5 in Bazetta Twp/Cortland, OH (Lakeview Schools) and there are a few condos available for rent. You may want to check out the following links to see for yourself. Lakeview High School was rated one of the top 3 high schools in the State of Ohio and one of the top 10% in the United States.

youngstown apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Check out John Phillips real estate. He is our condo association property manager. I am sure he would know if any condos are available in Woodland Trails for rent that may not be listed in the Tribune Chronice, Vindicator or on Craigslist. I would recommend reaching out to him. Woodland Trails and Lake Pointe Condos in Bazetta/Cortland are very nice and offer a nice quiet neighborhood. Ivy Hill Condos are back here as well, but are much older condos than the Woodland Trails and Lake Pointe which were built in the mid 90s and 2000s. These condos are just off St. Rt. 5 and are literally 5 minutes to St. Rt. 82 which can take you directly into PA. When I worked in PA I had about a 20 or 25 minute commute. Very easy drive.

Cortland/Bazetta puts you close to all major highways and to the state park with Mosquito Lake, offering a lot to do in the spring/summer.

John Phillips Real Estate & Property Management

Good luck with your search!! Welcome to the area. Let us know if you need anything else!!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM

Good info everyone! As far as school districts go, the ones mentioned from smallest to biggest would be Mathews, Lakeview, then Howland. I believe Mathews probably has 80-100 kids per class, Lakeview is 140-160 and Howland probably has between 250-350/graduating class. I hope that gives you and idea.

Like ZSL said, all the rental locations have great highway access, good schools and are close to shopping, groceries, restaurants, etc.

Let us know if you have anymore questions. Also, will your hubby be working at the Youngstown Airbase? If so the rentals in Vienna that ZSL mentioned would be closest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio