Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM

46 posts, read 93,449 times

Advertisements

I'm sure by now you have made your reservations for a hotel; however I do have a last minute recommendation.

It may be expensive, but the Holiday Inn Express in Niles, OH across from the Eastwood Mall is nice. They have been voted as one of the best hotels in the nation many times. I have had business meetings at this hotel and was AMAZED at their customer service. From the second you walk in the door, they treat you like GOLD. I always recommend them to customers from out of town. Again, it may be expensive, but the price may be well worth it for the customer service. Plus, it is located on RT. 46 which makes OH-11 South, OH-711, I-80 and I-680 easily accessible. YSU is literally 20 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:10 PM

As for the Hot Dog Shoppe, there is one located in Girard, OH just off I-80. It's the Jib Jab Hot Dog Shoppe. Same family, same recipe. But....just not the same "atmosphere" as the original in Warren, OH. Some will argue the Girard, OH location does not taste the same. I have never noticed, but prefer the original in Warren, OH.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
http://www.metromonthly.net/ publishes a calendar of local events for Y-town.

Lots of car cruises and car races and car shows:
Drag races at Quaker City Raceway, Salem OH
sprints, midgets, etc at Mercer Raceway Mercer PA Mercer Raceway Park
Sharon Speedway
National Packard Museum - Warren Ohio Packard museum at Warren OH
+ Packard's big car show at Warren July 20-22 23rd Annual Antique & Classic Car Show

Drive around and marvel at all of the great 19th and early 20th Century architecture that's rotting away or being torched. ;-/
Yes to the 19th and early 20th century architecture. A shame that it's rotting away or has been torched. Apparently Youngstown/Warren is home to pyros/arsonists now?.....which may or may not be angry neighbors taking their own action........haha

Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
This article was just featured in our local paper about the shops and businesses to visit on Rt. 7 between Hubbard and Conneaut. Sounds like it would be fun. Off the beaten path - TribToday.com - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Tribune Chronicle - Warren, OH

Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM

16 posts, read 31,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
This article was just featured in our local paper about the shops and businesses to visit on Rt. 7 between Hubbard and Conneaut. Sounds like it would be fun. Off the beaten path - TribToday.com - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Tribune Chronicle - Warren, OH
My son and I traveled this way Friday to Conneaut Lake Park, and I commented to him that I always wanted to stop at some of those shops. Thanks for the link-now I have additional incentive to do so. All I need now is time!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Are there many rides left at the Park? Last time I was there was probably in 2005. I got to ride The Blue Streak, but I had heard they shut it down since then.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Things did not go as we had hoped. We got to Warren late at night, went to bed up at 6 for the 8AM orientation. It really did take all day and it was physically demanding.

Parents went into separate groups while students met with faculty and peer advisers.

I'm not big on safety, but today so many parents are and they gave a huge lecture about that topic and many parents took notes.

I'm not into danger - what I( mean is if there is a mad man gun man out to kill a bunch of people it could happen at a university, a mall, a movie theater or a high school.

Really if someone goes insane they do.

We did visit Presque Isle on the way home and the Butler Museum of American Art is a must see.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Things did not go as we had hoped. We got to Warren late at night, went to bed up at 6 for the 8AM orientation. It really did take all day and it was physically demanding.

Parents went into separate groups while students met with faculty and peer advisers.

I'm not big on safety, but today so many parents are and they gave a huge lecture about that topic and many parents took notes.

I'm not into danger - what I( mean is if there is a mad man gun man out to kill a bunch of people it could happen at a university, a mall, a movie theater or a high school.

Really if someone goes insane they do.

We did visit Presque Isle on the way home and the Butler Museum of American Art is a must see.
With Youngstown's reputation, many parents are probably afraid their child will be shot the first day they walk to class, or something. That, and the tragedy in Colorado, are probably why the lecture was a big deal.

Glad you got to enjoy your trip a little, though.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
With Youngstown's reputation, many parents are probably afraid their child will be shot the first day they walk to class, or something. That, and the tragedy in Colorado, are probably why the lecture was a big deal.
Plus, the shooting at the frat house a couple years ago is probably still in the minds of local parents.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
What shooting at the frat house? My son was talking to some fraternity brothers - whih is something I never would have expected that he would have connected with them but he did.

They were not the usual fraternity types. A little different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio