Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Yes, I feel that Ohio could benefit from an influx of Hispanics, or people from anywhere for that matter. I think it would really help revitalize many of our cities. Ohio could use some fresh faces and ideas.

I've never had any bad experiences with illegal immigrants either. Actually I've had a lot of interesting ones. Since my major in college was Spanish, I got to work with quite a few "illegals" from several different countries. They were all genuinely nice, hard working people, and they appreciated the help we gave them and most of all just being friendly to them. They sure weren't getting any handouts from the government either. They would tell us their stories of crossing the border, and some of them were downright scary! I never thought of them as "criminals" or even "illegals". They're people. That's all.
You need to check out Texas, Arizona, California, and the Carolinas. They have wreaked pure havoc there. Ohio is struggling as it is; it doesn't need more people with their hands out. I am from Ohio originally and have family there. Sadly, areas with influx of illegals have increased crime. If you read the various newspapers on line from other states you will find that alot of it is trying to be kept under wraps. There is enough crime in the U.S. as it is now. The mother of a 16-year old girl who was brutally raped and smothered to death by 2 illegals would not welcome them with open arms. They are bankrupting schools, hospitals and trying to take over the U.S. The U.S. needs to get on its own feet and take care of tax paying Americans. Yes, as you say they are "people" - however, they are here "illegally" - once they take over your town, you may change your mind.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Default Thank You....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Oh....let me finish for you please !!!

ARE YOU PEOPLE SMOKING CRACK OR WHAT ???????

Legal and illegal immigration is KILLING this country....PERIOD. The influx of legal immigrants into this country is unbelievable and destroying it. When you add the illegals to it, it becomes ignorant worse. This post is in no way a slam against immigrants themselves so please nobody take it personally if you're an immigrant.

Here is a quick 10 minute must see clip. Immigration by the Numbers.mov If you think an influx of new immigrants into the area is going to solve the problems, smoke a little more of that crack you are already smoking. Maybe you'll get so high you'll break the barrier of how high you can actually get and end up back on earth.

Immigration is out of control for a reason. That reason is the US Government. The more people the gov can get into this country the more money the gov makes. Anyone living in this country weather legal or not has living expenses. Food, clothing, energy, ect. and these living expenses require the transfer of funds from one to another. Eventually the funds end up in corporations in America and these corporations pay tax on the "things" they sell to you. It is in the gov's best interest to increase the population as much as possible, hence the latest Mexican treaty for example.

Most immigrants that come to this country are very poor. That being said, some to most tend to move to an area and work for less than what anyone else would therefore taking a paying job from a local who is in need of that job and leaving that local unemployed. When you apply this scenario to an already devastated area like NE OHIO WHERE I LIVE and you have a recipe for an even bigger disaster.

So just what kind of jobs should these immigrants have when they get here? As it is now the unemployment rate in NE OH is through the roof. There are more homes for sale here than anywhere else and nobody with any money to buy them. And where is this revenue supposed to come from to support the influx of immigrants? FROM THE POOR IMMIGRANTS ! (Must be that crack your smokin talking again)

WAKE UP PEOPLE. Right now immigration is this countries worst enemy. It is destroying the very economic foundation we are built on. And the gov supports it and helps it along all that they can because it benefits them. They can give a rats ass about the people of this country, only how much money they can get in their grubby hands.

As cheap as housing is in NE Ohio, with no economic drivers of any sort (compared to other areas) the only people that will influx here are the poor because it is the only place they will be able to afford. Once here, because it is the only place they can afford, they find that there is no real jobs or substantial revenue stream for anyone to really prosper, what do you think comes next????

I am appalled that one would wish for immigration influx because they think it will improve thinks. Freakin rediculous !!!!!!!!

Amen! And thank you for a fantastic posting! I have a friend in California and it is incredible; they have put Spanish road signs first, and American road signs below them. It is an absolute mess! I have no ill feelings towards any race, but this illegal sham is ruining the country and ruining it quickly. Again, you said it the way it is. I can't understand how any American could actually be for "illegals" coming into Ohio or into our Country.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Maybe...maybe not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
the statue of liberty is the most recognizable landmark our country has, yet our country cannot live up its inscription

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
Lady Liberty was referring to LEGAL immigrants....probably about now she should be swinging a bat and screaming "get the he** out of my country" to every single illegal!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
One of the reasons I don't buy into anti-immigration rhetoric is because of history. Millions of poor immigrants came to the US, fleeing terrible situations, like the Irish Potato famine. The Irish were hated and discriminated against, and there was definitely lots of anti-immigration sentiment in the US at that time. However, I don't think anyone could look back today and say that letting millions of poor Irish (or Italians or Poles) into our country proved disastrous for us.
No it didn't prove disastrous. They built America. They didn't come in the country ILLEGALLY with their hands out. There is a big difference between legal and illegal immigrants. Why is it people can't understand that!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 PM

566 posts, read 603,863 times
I don't think the problem is with the Immigrants, it's with all of the wretched out sourcing. It's sad to see our hardworking machinists, steelworkers and rubberworkers out of good paying jobs because it's cheaper to move the company to Bangladesh or wherever else they send these companies.

Also, many of these illegal immigrants come here to work, like actually WORK from sunrise to sunset 6 or even 7 days a week. When you see a group of Mexicans on a roof or hanging siding, you can't doubt their work ethic because they actually have a strong one. I have seen too many LAZY ass people (White and Black) who are actually Americans that don't have jobs and most of them don't even look for employment. I mean, they can't go to McDonalds or Taco Bell? **** even mow lawns or shovel snow. And...lets not even get into the single mom that has NO job and 4 kids driving a Lexus living on Welfare and Food Stamps in Section 8 housing??

Don't believe me?? Go to a check cashing place on the first of the month.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:03 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
No it didn't prove disastrous. They built America. They didn't come in the country ILLEGALLY with their hands out. There is a big difference between legal and illegal immigrants. Why is it people can't understand that!
The reason I "can't understand that" is because I haven't seen it for myself. I don't know if you read all the posts in this thread, but I mentioned before that I volunteered a lot of time a couple years ago to help quite a few immigrants in Pennsylvania and Ohio. The majority were illegal, but we still did a lot to help them out at first. If I had seen abuses of the system, I would have been outraged. But I didn't see anything like that. All the people we came in contact with were extremely hard-working, law-abiding (well, except for being illegal ) citizens who were in no way a drain on the local or national economy. Like I said before, I know that abuses do happen, even though I've never seen it. But at least to me, it still seems like the majority aren't a drain on us. Plus, I've been to South America and seen with my own eyes entire villages and neighborhoods built by money that illegals sent back. And I've met many former illegals who went back home to continue their lives. Not that they have bettered themselves economically, their children have more opportunities and are less likely to have to resort to sneaking into a foreign country to find decent work.

One more thing I'll add: When I worked at a tax preparation company for a couple tax seasons, I saw so many people with "their hands out" as you say. Hundreds of them in fact. I was shocked by how many people knew exactly how to work the system. There are so many Americans who have being poor and getting the biggest check from the government possible down to a science. Shame on them I say. I'd much rather have my tax money go to a hard-working immigrant family that needs medical care at an emergency room than it go to an American family that has carefully calculated how to work as little as possible and still get tons of money from the government.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
You need to check out Texas, Arizona, California, and the Carolinas. They have wreaked pure havoc there.
But the economies of those states are booming. People are flocking there from all over. And not just illegals. Thousands of Ohioans have moved there because jobs are more plentiful. If the economies of those states were currently crumbling, I could agree with you and then we could blame it on illegal immigration.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post

Here is a quick 10 minute must see clip. Immigration by the Numbers.mov
I finally watched this clip. It was actually very interesting. I liked what he said about how change has to happen in the Third World itself.

I think the scariest thing he showed was the graph on what the US population would look like without immigration. It was declining!!! I guess we have yet to see how declining populations affect developed countries like Japan and others in Western Europe, but I don't think it will be a good thing.

Also, I think the chart he used was a bit misleading in that it started at 200 million, so it looked like immigrants and their decendents will totally outnumber the Americans of 1970 and their decendents by about 50 to 1.

But, anyways, that was pretty interesting. Gives you something to think about.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,460 times
Quote:
But, anyways, that was pretty interesting. Gives you something to think about.
If you do a quick search you will find much more accurate data on the actual numbers that were generalized in that clip. You will also find true numbers of how many resources legal immigration costs the American economy.

What I'm truly amazed about is that these numbers DO NOT take into account illegal immigration. Everyone thinks illegal immigration is what is killing this country but in reality the influx of poor legal immigrants is where the problem was started, illegal immigration is just compounding the problem.

Like I asked before, do you honestly think that all the problems in the SW US are from ILLEGALS? The poor legal immigrants have more to do with their problems than the illegals ! If you do a little research on immigration you will see just that too.

And if people are flocking to CA and AZ because of the booming economies there, then why are they the heart of the "housing crunch"?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
it hurts everybody even the illegals. their children will bear the scar of their experience for many many years.
pain however is a teacher it teaches us that our government, (like france), has gotten into the business of labor busting.
the people must take back the government. expensive wars and labor busting will take us back to 5 cents a bushel peach picking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio