Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times

Advertisements

Personally I don't think it has. I think Ohio could take on a lot Mexicans that may be burdening other states. I haven't had any bad experiences with illegal immigrants. I know they broke the rules, but part of the blame is our own governments. Is it really reasonable to deport illegals considering it may split families apart? I mean im for securing our borders and creating jobs. But I think the Mexicans here should be offered citizenship through a work program or something. Ohio has a lot of institutions that could probably take on Mexican kids and give them an education to help them integrate and make a better living. Ohio could write an amendment making it illegal to pay illegals lower wages and undermining the economic balance. It could be a temporary one just until this stuff blows over. Things just need a little better balancing.

How do you guys feel about it? I'm not really cool with people getting all bent out of shape about it unless they're in an area that has been swamped and overrun. I think Ohio could face the challenge and open its arms more. The state has always been relatively balanced, even in hard times.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:32 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
Yes, I feel that Ohio could benefit from an influx of Hispanics, or people from anywhere for that matter. I think it would really help revitalize many of our cities. Ohio could use some fresh faces and ideas.

I've never had any bad experiences with illegal immigrants either. Actually I've had a lot of interesting ones. Since my major in college was Spanish, I got to work with quite a few "illegals" from several different countries. They were all genuinely nice, hard working people, and they appreciated the help we gave them and most of all just being friendly to them. They sure weren't getting any handouts from the government either. They would tell us their stories of crossing the border, and some of them were downright scary! I never thought of them as "criminals" or even "illegals". They're people. That's all.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times
I'm all for hitting the Mexican government and the US government in the mouth for recklessly side stepping our laws. I wish Ohio could have its own round table group that looks out for its people, and its future. Even if it meant intelligence gathering and infiltration of whomever, to find guilty parties. Stuffs way to confusing right now. I loathe the idea of Ohio being lied to and deceived. If it was by our own, then that would really hurt. Come Buckeyes, sharpen up and lets figure out what the heck is really going on. Maybe our country is being sabotaged from the inside and outside. . My loyalty first is to Ohio. Don't betray us. Be truthful Buckeyes. Ohio needs better communication with its people. But don't get all trigger happy with good intention laws and crap.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,370 times
Not yet, but given time it certainly could.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 AM

12 posts, read 69,454 times
Not a problem with illegals! Have you been to Hamilton? For that matter ask people that live in Texas and Arizona. I am getting sicker by the day of the jobs, medical care and the other agencies that help the people here illegally. I haven't medical insurance myself. I have been sick and unable to work, so there is no help for me. I have American Indian ancestors! Not to mention every war fought had someone in my family in it. I myself have volunteered at the Dayton Va Center to give my respect to those that fought to have the freedoms we think we have here and there is no help for me and millions of other people that were born and raised here. Do I have a problem with Mexican people? No. But, when I know for a fact that my fiance has lost two jobs since the first of this year to Mexican work crews coming out of Columbus, yes I do. Let me explain how this is done. Legals bid the jobs, work during the day and then late at night bring in the illegals that work all night. So, they get the job done faster and at a cheaper rate. Illegal to do? Yes and I think horrible for Mexican legals to do that to their own people. You know they pay them hardly nothing. Who's to complain. I just am so upset to see what is happening to America. We can not keep letting thousands of people a day, legally or illegally into this country. We do not have the resources to keep up everyone. Businesses closing and leaving America every day. I'm scared. I feel so sorry for our youth. The future to them must be frightning. I thank everyone for letting me vent my fears and concerns. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my thoughts. I know how bitter I sound, but fear will do that to a person after awhile. I do feel better for having a place to share my feelings.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,044 times
im all for LEGAL immigration not illegal immigratin. illegals lower american standards of living,, period. illegals are not paying taxes like you and i,, why ? illegals are draining our health care system. do you know why illegals march and protest in OUR cities ?? because they would be jailed in mexico ! i have a real problem with illegals telling my country what to do when they should be telling their counrty . we have too many of our own problems to fix before we fix other countries. our war vets have shed alot of blood for us throughout american history and i dont believe they did it for illegals who scoff at our laws. learn OUR english, become a LEGAL immigrant, get a job and pay into the system like the rest of us. seems to me mexico needs a revolution so the people can stay,build and prosper in their very beautiful country.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye-Sunshine View Post
I feel so sorry for our youth. The future to them must be frightning.
Hmmmmm.... I'm 23, so I think I qualify as a youth... I'm not scared about the future. I've been fortunate to have been able to travel a great deal and it's made the world seem smaller and safer to me.

I love the diversity in America and I wish Ohio had more of it. I think cities like Youngstown would benefit a great deal from an influx of immigrants. They could breathe new life into the city's forgotten neighborhoods.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 AM

47 posts, read 211,330 times
As someone who lives in Texas, believe me when I tell you that you do NOT want to inact legislation that would encourage illegals to move to your state! In Texas, our health care system, schools, and government programs are very negatively impacted by the sheer numbers of illegals. And Texas taxpayers are bearing the financial burden. Dallas and Ft Worth have had a serious increase in violent crime related to Mexican gangs, drugs, home-invasion robberies, etc. And allowing people to come here illegally is certainly not fair to those immigrants who "follow the rules" and come here using the same legal methods that our grandparents and greatgrandparents utilized.

Understand that in Texas, almost all residential construction jobs are filled by Hispanics. That goes for service industries like home-cleaning services, lawncare, etc. And the vast majority of these folks are here illegally.

Don't get me wrong.....I think immigration is a great thing, but I just want everyone to play by the same rules and come here legally. Part of being an American is assimilating, paying taxes, etc.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I guess the question hit a nerve.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto2 View Post
As someone who lives in Texas, believe me when I tell you that you do NOT want to inact legislation that would encourage illegals to move to your state! In Texas, our health care system, schools, and government programs are very negatively impacted by the sheer numbers of illegals. And Texas taxpayers are bearing the financial burden. Dallas and Ft Worth have had a serious increase in violent crime related to Mexican gangs, drugs, home-invasion robberies, etc. And allowing people to come here illegally is certainly not fair to those immigrants who "follow the rules" and come here using the same legal methods that our grandparents and greatgrandparents utilized.

Understand that in Texas, almost all residential construction jobs are filled by Hispanics. That goes for service industries like home-cleaning services, lawncare, etc. And the vast majority of these folks are here illegally.

Don't get me wrong.....I think immigration is a great thing, but I just want everyone to play by the same rules and come here legally. Part of being an American is assimilating, paying taxes, etc.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I guess the question hit a nerve.
Your viewpoint reflects how many in the Southern states feel.
Illegal immigration is a big problem in there. It's impacted schools, healthcare, welfare, law enforcement - you name it.

I recently moved to central Ohio from Atlanta. You definitely have no problems here - from what I've seen so far. Be thankful.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Hmmmmm.... I'm 23, so I think I qualify as a youth... I'm not scared about the future. I've been fortunate to have been able to travel a great deal and it's made the world seem smaller and safer to me.

I love the diversity in America and I wish Ohio had more of it. I think cities like Youngstown would benefit a great deal from an influx of immigrants. They could breathe new life into the city's forgotten neighborhoods.
I, too, was young and idealistic once; now I'm old, work my butt off for too little money and am now firmly grounded in reality. Legal immigration is a wonderful thing; I'm married to a woman that jumped through ALL of the hoops to be in this country and to contribute something worthwhile. Illegals are nothing more than modern day Carpetbaggers; only here for a quick buck and selfishly ruining it for many of us. I'm going to stop here before I get REALLY carried away. Especially since this is not the "POLITICS AND OTHER CONTROVERSIES forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio