Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 PM

42 posts, read 86,061 times

Advertisements

I'm new to these forums so please excuse me if I'm not using them correctly (by posting things like this).

What's been on my nerves for a long time is the hate for Ohio. I've seen people say we have "nothing to do", "it's all farms", "a bunch of fat people", etc. etc.

What these people don't realize is how we have 5 big cities (if you include Toledo and Akron) with pro sports, two awesome amusement parks (Kings Island, Cedar Point), the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, plenty of museums, zoos (the best in the country), and I could just keep going on.

Why do people hate on Ohio so much? I don't understand! I've been living here for 9 years and I love it!

If you hate Ohio, fine, move on from this thread, but if you agree with me, please post other things you like (or love) about Ohio.

Once again I'm new, so I'm not really sure what the forums are used for but I needed to vent somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,796,874 times
I love Ohio. I spent the past week there: one day in Cleveland, three days in Cedar Point, then Marietta, Zanesville, Athens and Portsmouth.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM

23,863 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I love Ohio. I spent the past week there: one day in Cleveland, three days in Cedar Point, then Marietta, Zanesville, Athens and Portsmouth.
I love OH too. Beautiful state, nice people, low cost of living and an excellent state university system! What's not to love?

There are malcontents on all of the regional subforums.

Oh I forgot Lake Erie and Cedar Point and the R n R hall of fame!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,404,733 times
There isn't a correct answer to this. But I've often wondered the same thing.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Ohio is almost perfectly sandwiched between two of the world's most interesting, innovative cites-- Chicago and NYC. A lot of Ohio's most successful "children" end up in one of these cities. Compared to either, Ohio does seem a tad dull.

The world is a big place. I could think of a lot places that suck much worse than Ohio.

Oh yeah, and then there's the weather.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,404,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBucks View Post
What's been on my nerves for a long time is the hate for Ohio. I've seen people say we have "nothing to do", "it's all farms", "a bunch of fat people", etc. etc.
I've never heard the second two complaints, but that might be because I'm from a different part of Ohio.

Everyone hates where they're from. It's natural. People complain about different things, but they all complain about something. Nowhere's perfect, and if you're young you'll find a reason to leave home. I know I have.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,181,167 times
Ohio is a great state, some of the best zoos in the country, great aquraiams, great buildings, lake erie, lot so beatiful trees and fun amusement parks.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM

42 posts, read 86,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I've never heard the second two complaints, but that might be because I'm from a different part of Ohio.

Everyone hates where they're from. It's natural. People complain about different things, but they all complain about something. Nowhere's perfect, and if you're young you'll find a reason to leave home. I know I have.
Not talking about people who live here - people who live in other midwest states like Michigan, Indiana, etc; they all seem to hate Ohio.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 PM

372 posts, read 462,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBucks View Post
Not talking about people who live here - people who live in other midwest states like Michigan, Indiana, etc; they all seem to hate Ohio.
Look around city data and check out other state and city forums, you will find the same hatred about a plethora of places around the nation. Have you ever been to Michigan? Indiana? I have two roomates from SE Michigan, and everyone in Michigan thinks people from Ohio hate them. Michigan is extremely depressed with a horrible economy, dangerous cities, and a decayed/bombed out infrastructure. Indiana... high obesity rates, corn as far as the eye can see, and a very boring topography. Indiana has nothing like SE Ohio or Lake Erie. The Indiana Dunes are nice, but NW Indiana is probably one of the most depressing places I have ever seen. It works both ways for any state out there. I remember when I lived down south people in Georgia and North Carolina hated each other.

What I love about Ohio? So much. I love the diversity here. I can go to an Asian neighborhood, I live in an Italian neighborhood, and I can have a variety of foods from every corner of the globe within walking distance. We have great universities, major cities that all offer something different, a great topography of vast proportions. The Appalachian foothills in the SE, the lakes of NE Ohio, the hills of Cincinnati. Not to mention great parks like Hocking Hills and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park which is one of the top 10 most visited national parks in the country. Taking the ferries out to the Lake Erie islands. Standing in Mount Adams and viewing the beautiful Cincinnati skyline. Or being on the bluffs in Edgewater Park in Cleveland and viewing all the boats out over the lake and seeing the beach and city skyline in the distance. We have 29 fortune 500 companies, 11.5 million people (7th most populated state), have a rich history with plenty of famous people that give us so much to be proud of. Playhouse Square, Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland Museum of Art, Columbus Zoo, Eden Park, Procter and Gamble, etc, etc, etc. There is so much. I could go on and on, and each category from museums, parks, and city neighborhoods all could each be a post long. Overall, Ohio offers more than most states out there. And this negativity problem certainly is not unique to Ohio.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Perhaps part of the problem is that Ohio is almost perfectly sandwiched between two of the world's most interesting, innovative cites-- Chicago and NYC. A lot of Ohio's most successful "children" end up in one of these cities. Compared to either, Ohio does seem a tad dull.

The world is a big place. I could think of a lot places that suck much worse than Ohio.

The weather sucks in most of the best places in the US.NY and Chicago are two. I like Florida - for a vacation.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:

All farms? Interesting. My son chose OH for college because in PA and NY - our 2 home states all of the affordable colleges are located in the sticks.

No offense to the country - but he wanted a public college in a Rust Belt City. Found a kind of hip city and a college he likes in OH. Dirt cheap tuition too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio