Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times

Advertisements

We have been living in Florida for many years now. We have four daughters under 12 years old. We currently have very little income($600-700) a month plus my part time wages. However my job is seasonal and work is slowed down. We are fifteen minutes from the beach here in Florida but we want to move because the summer heat is to much for me every year. I was looking in Ohio around the Sandusky/Huron area but I can't find anything large enough for my family of six. I picked the area for the lake thinking it would be an easier transition for us and the girls would have lots of summer fun at the lake.

I have scoured Craigslist for every region of Ohio listed. So far the Mansfield Craigslist has the largest homes with a finished basement and 2 baths for our budget. I could not find deals like that anywhere else in Ohio on Craigslist. However I don't know anything about the area and looking from stats and such, it has poor schools and average to high crime. Schools are a major concern for us, as well as crime.

The idea place would be a very treed area with a 4bdr home, 2 bths, fireplace, finished basement, nice woodwork(trim), newer windows, and close to the lake or city.

I would be able to move in Jan when we get income tax, or possibly sooner if I found the right place. Our vehicle is on its last leg right now and that is a concern we are trying to figure out. We also don't have much furniture to take with us because I have not been able to provide many nice things for our family this last year. Though I found a site in central Ohio that donates furniture for low income families(possible maybe?).

Even if we found a sweet deal I am kind of concerned about the lack of growth in Ohio because when you combine it with the dreary weather and businesses closing down, it makes me feel like I'm suffering through a great depression or something.

Anyway we do not drink or do drugs, although I smoke cigars I smoke outside. We are ready for a move and keeping an open mind about every place in Ohio. We are just waiting for the right place and that door to be opened. Our family would greatly appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Actually the economy in Ohio is better than the national average right now. It's even been sighted as one of the issues that Romney will have winning Ohio in the election.

Obviously if you move to one of the larger cities it will be easier to find work, but also more expensive. Might want to try some of the areas a little to the east or west of Cleveland if you want to stay by the lake. Look around the Painesville, Geneva, Madison or Vermillion areas. They're a bit removed from Cleveland so they're cheaper and more rural, but still close enough to find work.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Well I am sort of out of resources ATM. I looked at every Ohio region on Craigslist, and several rental places off of Google searches. I wish there was another site like Craigslist which yields the most results.

I noticed all the places around Cleveland seem to have generally higher prices than other areas. We aren't really looking for a newer cookie-cutter home. Definitely not an apartment either because our girls can be loud sometimes. I haven't seen anything practical around the Cleveland metro. As far as jobs go I would take basically anything at the moment other than sales. I could never be a salesmen. Eventually I want to go back to school(trade school) and my wife wants to work when the baby is old enough to go to school. We are in the process of starting life over on a better foundation. Right now we are just trying to be faithful in the small things and mature as a family.

I know the economy in Ohio is suppose to be better, but that isn't saying much. Its like a famine across the entire country. I don't expect it to grow by leaps and bounds or anything like that.

I realize we might not be able to find what we would want for our family, but I put it out there incase its possible. I have been praying for a new door to be opened for years. I have looked online all over the country for several years now. We live in a dilapidated trailer at the moment with very high crime. Our van has been broken in to twice now, as well as the trailer and the doors don't shut right. The schools are okay, but nothing special. There is a lot of drugs on our street alone, and people stealing stuff and scrapping it. We want out of here but if I can't find the right place then it must not be time.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
Cleveland is probably your best choice, your next is Cincinnati(Cincinnati is a little more expensive to live in then Cleveland)

Old 11-01-2012, 03:54 PM

I haven't found anything in or around Cleveland. My only resource right now is looking online. I can't go take a drive and look for a place in person. I was born in Dayton, and have been to Cincinnati many times for work and recreation. I literally know nothing about Cleveland cities and neighborhoods. It seems a little big, overpriced and dilapidated to me. I prefer some natural beauty in an area like lots of trees exct. Living near a large city like Cleveland doesn't seem practical for getting our bang for our buck, and living off a very modest budget. Though I wouldn't prefer to be in a very small town in the middle of nowhere either.

Me and my wife would like to plant some things in a nice yard, sit under a shade tree in summer, get involved with our girls local school, fix up a place with little details(can't afford anything major), and go from there.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I haven't found anything in or around Cleveland. My only resource right now is looking online. I can't go take a drive and look for a place in person. I was born in Dayton, and have been to Cincinnati many times for work and recreation. I literally know nothing about Cleveland cities and neighborhoods. It seems a little big, overpriced and dilapidated to me. I prefer some natural beauty in an area like lots of trees exct. Living near a large city like Cleveland doesn't seem practical for getting our bang for our buck, and living off a very modest budget.

Me and my wife would like to plant some things in a nice yard, sit under a shade tree in summer, get involved with our girls local school, fix up a place with little details(can't afford anything major), and go from there.
Cleveland expensive? News to me! I guarantee you can find what you're looking for in Cleveland, though I don't know how it is searching on the internet... There is definitely good nature in the area though- it's not called "the Forest City" for no reason. I think you'll have a better impression if you visit!

Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM

I can't visit jimmy. Our vehicle is slowly but surely taking a dive on us and I don't have the money to just go somewhere on a whim to look for a great deal. Don't get me wrong I am open to Cleveland, it just doesn't look like there is anything nice we could afford searching from online.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Try padmapper.com
Best of luck!

Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks but my wife doesn't want to live in apartments anymore. We have to large of a family for an apartment and our girls aren't always behaved. We currently live in a trailer on half an acre. It's usually quiet around here but the crime and drugs around here is a huge problem. Just one of the reasons we want to move.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
Look in the Youngstown area. Just avoid Youngstown city and Warren city. All of the suburbs have good to great schools, and the area is one of the cheapest in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio