Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times

Advertisements

Solutions

You probably need to define a lot better what you are trying to run from or run to????

What price ranges, what type life style, what type of employment are you looking for????

Ohio does offer a large range of conditions. You can have the big city, fancy suburb commuting as a wage slave, small farm, medium or small towns, various rural areas and something pretty difficult to find today very low cost areas that are not sewer pits.

Nothing anywhere is perfect but you do have a good chance in Ohio of getting a decent match to your desires. Most of the extremes can be factored out in terms of price, weather, living conditions, various hassles of so many other places.

A lot of the counties in Ohio might fit you. Adams, Athens or some of the SE counties might work. A lot depends on what you really want. In a number of those it is possible to actually own the home outright, do most of the work for improvement and live without a huge income. A type of lifestyle that has gone out of fashion in so many circles.

But you need to put it all together in a far more organized manner. It is possible for some of the Ohio areas to become traps, especially for the outsider who has not done the proper research or tries to make things move too fast without the right understandings. Or they can be some of the best choices in a Crazy World if you know the methods to make it work.

How close to Ohio are you???? Exactly where in KY?? I looked at both KY and TN prior to my last move. Rejected both for a number of negatives that didn't fit what I was trying to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,970 times
Angel, Ohio is experiencing the same thing as Pennsylvania in that it is the whole SPRAWL thing. Up by Cleveland/Akron/Canton it is all connected now. The growth has connected the three cities. If you look at a recent map you can see the three cities now almost form one. New housing developments and shopping districts are going up in what once was farmland. Its really a shame. But down in Jefferson County its not being affected near as bad. Did you check out any of the other towns that were in Jefferson County? Richmond is very nice. And Tuscarawas County where Sugarcreek is located. They are all very nice with easy access to Route 22. Its a shame that you got a bad impression on Steubenville. I have had very good times there. Its got some really nice areas. And i really like that new modern bridge they built. Anyone know the name? New Philly and Dover are some really nice small little cities. And there are smaller towns just outside of Steubenville. Keep checking with the search. Take your time and find something you really like. Although Dover and New Philly are growing rather quickly. So check out more towns in Tuscarawas and Jefferson counties.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
r2r

33 posts, read 137,053 times
Angellewis,

Something to keep in mind when moving. When transporting animals over state lines, some states, counties and localities require health certificates. For your dog, at a minimum you'll have to provide a current rabies certificate. Not sure what may be needed for guinea pigs.

Just something else to keep in mind and do a quick look into.

Believe it or not, I have to get a special permit to keep my box turtles AND I have to have them microchipped. I have 9 of them.

Who'da thunk it!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 PM

148 posts, read 520,747 times
Never had problems with the pigs and dogs crossing the border at all.

I help with piggie transports all through pa and ohio. A friend of mine and I both have met up quite a few times for transport.

i am not happy with this house now.

We have to give up our babies and I can't do it really.

But my hubby and his dad has their heart set to this place adn I am getting more sadder and not excited about our new place. Help

Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM
r2r

33 posts, read 137,053 times
Just because you haven't had any problems before doesn't mean it is legal.

Trust me on this!

I never knew there were so many laws about freaking turtles but there are. Who'da thunk that having a box turtle had so many laws attached to it. Seriously!

Look into it none the less. Better to know for sure than be blind-sided.

Are you saying that you are not allowed pets in the new place? Sometimes if you offer a seperate pet deposit they'll reconsider. Perhaps a letter from your vet talking about your pet care history and husbandry.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM

Tried,

We are meeting them on saturday with Samantha, we do have homes lined up just in case.

If she likes our dog Samantha then my husband will question them how do they feel about few caged pets. Probably only 2 cause one may be put down tomorrow since she is bleeding when she goes potty.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:52 PM

Well she loved our dog Samantha and she said that we can keep her so we know we got the house.

But the bad news is that I have to rehome all 6 of my guinea pigs

Old 10-09-2006, 08:13 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,970 times
What are the laws in West Virginia for animals? Any different from Pennsylvania?

Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 AM
wpd

11 posts, read 41,974 times
I just saw this thread and I had to respond. I actually grew up in Richmond, OH just outside of Steubenville/Wintersville. My parents still live there and we go back for visits at least every two months. I'm quite surprised that anyone would want to move to that area volunatarily. There isn't much there. The area has lost a lot of jobs due to the closure of the steel mill in Weirton and Wheeling Pitt is just as bad off (my dad works there). The only emplyoment really offered there is either the hospital or Wal-Mart (who I've heard is not a great company to work for). As for the drugs in Steubenville, yes you will find a small problem in the downtown area, but if you go to the outer areas of town it is not so bad. And, it certainly doesn't compare to the drug problems of larger cities. I can't really say much about Weirton as I've never lived there, but I know there are some really nice houses in the Colliers Way area. I'm talking about big, expensive, all-brick, luxury-type houses. You certainly won't find that in Steubenville. Good luck with your move, angel. I hope you find the Ohio Valley a more rewarding place to live than I did.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 PM

Thank you everyone for inputs,

I don't know the laws for animals in Wv yet, but the landlord really did not want pets but is letting us keep the dog that can be worst than a caged pet which fired me up the most.

My dog is so lazy that they have nothing to worry about, as far as my piggers are concern they do nothing but eat and **** in the cage. I take them out to hold them, play with them and take them outside if the weather is ok for them. Never put them on the carpets unless there is a table cloth on the floor with a blanket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio