Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:47 PM

148 posts, read 520,213 times

Advertisements

WE are goign to move to ohio as soon as we find a place to live. Once we find a place we are bookin.

Now once I find out where in Ohio we are staying I am going to need a very good vet office that specializes guinea pigs as well as dogs too. If you know where I can search for vet offices can you give me a pointer where and the net as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 02:05 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,710,848 times
Default Finding the local vet

Just use MapQuest to find the map of the area you are interested in. Then use the search features on that site to find any other service you are interested in.

http://www.mapquest.com/

Can find just about anything geared to that particular location. Be it grocery stores, gas stations, motels or the vet. Very accurate and up to date, gives the address and phone numbers. It can be tuned to sort by distance from your house. I use it a lot for all sorts of things. Very helpful in picking places to consider living without actually visiting them in advance.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Thank you, I never thought of Map Quest to find places I need. I have used map quest to get to places like Richmond Va to pick up 2 guinea pigs.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 PM

976 posts, read 3,855,804 times
Congradulations on the move, angellewis.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:21 PM

Thank you Paintballer. We will be driving through Jefferson County and Harrison county this week. I am going to try and do Harrison county.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,710,848 times
angellewis

I sort of finally understand what you are trying to do from other threads.

I don't know anything modern about Wintersville. It will be as you probably have found, time to get the boots on the ground.

If I understand your situation, you want the Route 22 connection between Ohio and PA, to basically escape from poor conditions in PA, but being able to maintain former ties, employment, etc across the border.

You want to become a resident of Ohio. I still think your best bet is in Stuebenville. That should be an area with lots of good quality rentals for a person with a good history.

Jefferson county is under some pressures but could be a very nice place to live if you take the long view. I was born and raised in Jefferson County and know it extremely well. Steubenville may be the hidden jewel if you could ever buy a house. Bargain city if you can take a long view.

As I mentioned before, the big negatives now are the general lack of shopping / grocery / gas / etc for that entire river string of towns from East Liverpool down to maybe Bridgeport. An entire collapse of what normally supports daily life.

You have to be able to dial it all into a daily life pattern that is within your abilities to cope to live there. I had the experience of going back to see my old former homes. A bit emotional. You really can go home again. Imagine a 40+ year time capsule where almost nothing had changed.

My sister and I did that, we went back to all the old places we knew as childern in Jefferson County. It is a place of old names, very old family stock, old roots. Lot of pride, like a time warp, nothing had changed. Same old farms, same folks living there, in some cases, sons / daughters. Like old home week. You really can go home again but only in Jefferson County. You must speak the language and be able to understand the culture at hand.

I think you would like that area of the World, if you can find the right situation. Time to get on the road and explore it a bit.

I would offer this sage bit of advice. Pay very strict attention to speed limits and red lights. Many of those towns use that as a source of revenue. Also keep in mind if you are trying to commute thru the river corridor over the bridge in Steubenville that is in a prime fog area for many days of the year.

Silly me, I tried to go to West Virginia recently and got caught in fog on Route 7, even around 10 ish in the morning. Duh, it was like the olde daze for all of those low lying river highways on both sides of the river.

I think it will work for you if you keep at it. Do the ground work and talk to peope where you want to be. Get their advice, best of luck.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:36 PM

Thank you cosmic.

My husband is calling people right now and majority of them are already rented out. lol

I know what you mean by the low flying foggy days. When we decided to make a round trip to Richmond Va to pick up 2 guinea pigs, it was 11 am already and the fog was still low in the steepest highway in Md.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:42 PM

Cosmic,

Is there a tractor supplies store in Steubenville or near by. I know that wheeling has one. But that is a bit of a drive. They only care one specific guinea pig food I use.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 PM

Are you looking into working in PA, but living in Ohio? If so i can think of some great border towns in NE Ohio only about 1 hour from Pittsburgh.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:54 PM

^LOL i understand how you want to be far from PA. I feel the same way sometimes. I feel even more like wanting to move to the Westcoast when i visit home, just because of the bad shape Pittsburgh's metro is in. LOL but Cincinnati is far enough away. I would really check out Cadiz. You will have to see once you are done with your trip this weekend. Steubenville is a nice area to look into. I know they have some sort of shopping mall around that area. The Ohio side of the border is moving along, while in West Virginia it is stuck int the 70s. I know a lot of West Virginians head over to Ohio for their shopping and other amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio