U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,773,366 times
Gee, it's so nice to see all the love from northern Ohio for Cincinnati. Alabama? Good grief.

I love going to Cleveland, have relatives on the east side and always talk highly of the city to my friends and people here. And I adore the Italian food scene in Cleveland. But it seems the northern Ohio posters like to take whatever shots they can - including the one Cleveland poster on here who trashed Cincy before admitting that he'd never actually been here.

Well, we love our city, our beautiful hills, our unique culture, our river, our colorful history, our unmatched architecture, our Reds and Bengals and Bearcats, our high school football, our college basketball, our chili, our ice cream, our goetta, our growing metro, our impressive list of Fortune 500s, our zoo, our universities, our relationship with three states, our close ties with Dayton, and a whole lot more. And not only are we not sorry if any of that offends you, we really don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM

8,729 posts, read 7,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
It seems like people from NOhio say things about SOhio (especially Cincinnati) being like Alabama, while SOhioans (less commonly) say NOhio (especially Cleveland) is a bombed out industrial wasteland like Detroit. Both of which are super-exaggerations, but I guess it makes people feel better about where they're from.
People from the north just say Cincinnati is part of Kentucky as a joke. I don't think anyone says Alabama.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM

152 posts, read 147,326 times
First time poster here and I love this site! I've lived in Cincy all of my life and my love affair with this place has only grown stronger. I've traveled throughout the continental USA and Western Europe and think the area is truly special and quite unique compared
to many other places. I love:the Ohio River, Fountain Square, Over The Rhine, Music Hall, Findlay Market, Music Hall, Downtown, Mt.Adams, Kings Island, Sunlight Pool, Northern Ky, the Roebling Suspension Bridge, The Reds, Cincinnati Chili, LaBullBoxer31 Pizza, Columbia Parkway, Washington Park, Eden Park, etc, etc, etc. I guess the allure of Cincinnati may not be as in your face as other places but I really think you can be greatly rewarded with this place if one just puts a little effort into checking it out. Do I think every aspect of our region is perfect? Far from it. Some things like our newspaper drives me crazy.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,849,305 times
I still don't really see what's so great about Cincinnati. So it has some nice buildings and hills, but the people are what make a city, and Cincinnati just seems too conservative and self-obsessed/insular to me. I don't think it's a place that I would want to live, but that's just me.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM

548 posts, read 655,180 times
The people ARE what make the city. That's what I was trying to say on the last page. Cincinnati may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's certainly a unique place. You've expressed it in your distaste for the people. Some of us love it and wouldn't trade it for the rest of the world.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,576,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I still don't really see what's so great about Cincinnati. So it has some nice buildings and hills, but the people are what make a city, and Cincinnati just seems too conservative and self-obsessed/insular to me. I don't think it's a place that I would want to live, but that's just me.
As a gay man, it is my experience that Cincinnati is a comfortable place for people who might have a rough time in places which typically register as "too conservative". By your own admission, you've never been, so you really wouldn't know. Cincinnatians have a very laissez-faire attitude towards others' lifestyles. One perhaps surprising example: you'd have to head way west to find as many people smoking weed out in the open as occurs in Cincy. People just have a relaxed view of that sort of thing.

Do you realize something like 78% of Cincinnatians voted to reelect President Obama? What exactly is your metric of 'conservative'?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,096,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
People from the north just say Cincinnati is part of Kentucky as a joke. I don't think anyone says Alabama.
Post 59

Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,981,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
And since you have never been here, your opinion is based on pure speculation. I've found people in Cincinnati to be very friendly, and accepting in the neighborhoods where I live and frequent. So I have no idea what you are talking about, and neither do you.

On a side note, this is one of the few cities I have lived where you can actually strike up a conversation at random with people on the street.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 AM

8,729 posts, read 7,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Post 59
I guess I just wouldn't take someone from Bowling Green all that seriously. I consider that part of the state Michigan, anyway.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,576,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I guess I just wouldn't take someone from Bowling Green all that seriously. I consider that part of the state Michigan, anyway.
Or someone who lives in Montana commenting on an Ohio city being "too conservative" to ever live there. Hard to parse that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or