U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,664,112 times

Advertisements

I always said Dayton would have benefited the most from the 3C line. Reasonable times to both Cincinnati and Columbus (even at the relatively slow initial speed), plus gaining Amtrak connections via Cleveland and Cincinnati (which Columbus would also have gained).

With the first point, you could say half of the 3C line actually was a couple shorter distance lines put together. When the 3C discussion was going on, I remember hearing why Akron and Canton were left out. I don't remember the details, but it would have increased the cost and the time from Cleveland to Columbus significantly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 AM

909 posts, read 1,199,858 times
The current fastest way from Columbus to Cleveland with existing intact rail lines is to take the CSX track to Galion, where it joins the St. Louis-Cleveland track. The way to Canton is to go east to Newark on one short line and then take a convoluted sequence of short lines and secondary tracks through the Muskingum and Tuscarawas valleys, or to go follow the route to Cleveland until you get to Crestline, and go east on a track that while still intact from Pittsburgh to Chicago is now owned by a whole bunch of different companies over different segments (which creates a whole bunch of other messes) to Alliance, and take some short line from Alliance to Canton. The best way to go from Columbus to Akron is to take the CSX track to Galion, the other CSX track to Greenwich, and then a whole chopped up maze of tracks partially owned by CSX or with CSX trackage rights with lots of slow tracks and junctions and stuff. And I'm not sure that even something simple like a straight shot from Akron to Cleveland can be done easily anymore.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 AM

So it sounds like the proposed 3C route makes the most sense, or if short segments are preferable to begin with, Cincy-Dayton-Cbus. If that were up and running, it would only be a matter of time before Cleveland gets added.

You can bet legislators from the north would not be okay with it, though. And the Cincy-Dayton/Cleveland-Akron plan would probably be DOA due to opposition from Columbus.

Quote:
I was talking about connecting those two corners with the rest of the state. It's true that Toledo has trains passing through between New York and Chicago, but a trip between Toledo and Cincinnati takes either 22 or 25 hours depending on direction. As far as travel between Toledo and Columbus, there isn't even an interstate level highway to connect them.
I would like an I-75 line through Lexington, Cincinnati, Dayton, Lima, Toledo, Detroit, London, Toronto.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,847,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
It's true that Toledo kind of gets forgotten by the rest of the state. I don't know if a train line there would be the most profitable though, considering the size of the metro. Honestly, I think we should start small. People aren't going to be traveling from Cleveland to Columbus to go to work every day. Make some lines that people will actually use, like Canton or Youngstown to Cleveland, or Dayton to Cincinnati. Then worry about the big cross-state lines.
Cleveland to Columbus to Cincinnati was going to be high speed rail like in Japan or Europe...that's different than just a commuter rail line...I agree, Canton to Akron to Cleveland, and say Youngstown to Kent to Clevaland...and then maybe put a commuter line from Dayton to Middletown to Cincy...and maybe Dayton to Springfield to Columbus...I would love to see commuter lines like these along w/ the High speed 3 C rail...

Either way, this state made a huge mistake going w/ the Imbecile Tea Party in 2010 ...Kasich best be shown the door in 2014 or this state will never get ahead like it deserves.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,292,941 times
Yes.

It would make a lot of sense to spend a few hundred million dollars on a train system that nobody will use.

Great use of taxpayer dollars.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM

3,230 posts, read 4,197,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yes.

It would make a lot of sense to spend a few hundred million dollars on a train system that nobody will use.

What makes you so sure nobody will use it? I'm not advocating for the 3C's here so much as local commuter rail between big cities and nearby smaller cities. I think such lines would see quite significant use by commuters, and would promote regional growth.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM

9,786 posts, read 9,059,258 times
Quote:
Yes.

What is a Belpre, Ohio???

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Yes.

A surprising number of people use the anemic (understatement) rail service we do have in Ohio. OSU students alone would use a 3C line in good numbers. Commuters from Sharonville to downtown Cincy, Daytonians to Reds and Bengals games...

The 3C corridor is the most densely populated corridor in the country without rail service. The train would have been used.

For $400mil (granted by the feds), we could have had an I-71 alternative in the state. The new bridge carrying 71 into KY is going to cost $2.5 billion. Over six times as much. For one bridge. In one corner of the state.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,292,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
What is a Belpre, Ohio???
What is a Boston, Massachusetts?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM

9,786 posts, read 9,059,258 times
Quote:
What is a Boston, Massachusetts?
It's only funny the first time. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio