Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
More than the Mayo or Johns Hopkins? And technology...more than California or Massachusetts? Yeah okay.
Actually, yes. Ohio is right up there. Do you know ANYTHING you're talking about here? We have world class medical institutions. Maybe some other places are about equal, but I wouldn't say anyone is obviously better than us. Technology? Depends what technology you're talking about. Medical technology- yeah. Every other technology is pretty much limited to little pockets of the country. Living in Boston though, I can tell you that even though MIT does some crazy cool technological stuff, the average Bostonian gets little from that. Having good medical research facilities and high quality care does a lot more good for the people as a whole, in my opinion.

1) Get a clue.
2) Post.
** In that order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
The CC is obviously a world-class institution, and Ohio does have a good number of magnet (research) hospitals, as do many other states, but if the state were a top destination for research and technology, it wouldn't be losing so many people to the coasts and South, would it? California and the Northeast are the hotbeds of research technology, and Ohio & the Midwest could be there if they work together, but it hasn't happened yet.
Your posts, both here and on the other Ohio forums, have gotten pretty mean-spirited lately, FYI.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Actually, yes. Ohio is right up there. Do you know ANYTHING you're talking about here? We have world class medical institutions. Maybe some other places are about equal, but I wouldn't say anyone is obviously better than us. Technology? Depends what technology you're talking about. Medical technology- yeah. Every other technology is pretty much limited to little pockets of the country. Living in Boston though, I can tell you that even though MIT does some crazy cool technological stuff, the average Bostonian gets little from that. Having good medical research facilities and high quality care does a lot more good for the people as a whole, in my opinion.

1) Get a clue.
2) Post.
** In that order.
Cleveland Clinic is top-notch. It is highly ranked for more than a dozen adult and several pediatric specialties. Cutting edge research too.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Cleveland Clinic is top-notch. It is highly ranked for more than a dozen adult and several pediatric specialties. Cutting edge research too.
It may be but US News & World Report doesn't have CC Children's in the top 10, although Cincinnati was ranked 3rd. I give their rankings some merit as many hospitals note this ranking in their advertising.
U.S. News & World Report Ranks Best Children

Old 07-01-2013, 04:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
The Cleveland Clinic far surpasses most hospitals in the US in several specialties.
It's well regarded and it appears on many respected lists of best hospitals and best research facilities.

There was a certain procedure that a family member of mine needed and the doctor sighed and said "we don't do that here. The only place I know of that's doing that is the Cleveland Clinic".

I lived in Eastern NYS at the time.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM

39 posts, read 71,338 times
Hi everyone! So I see a lot of different experiences and ideas and feels of Ohio. I thought I would get in the conversation. So I have lived in Ohio, up in Lorain Co. the lake was 5 mins away. It would have been amazing if the town wasn't so rundown. It was pretty busy because it's connected to Cleveland and a few other towns, which I didn't enjoy because I hate traffic, who doesn't? And the lake is always dirty there, I enjoyed the lake as much as I could by either hanging out and just enjoying nature but I would never swim in it! But while I dont recommend that particular coumty in Ohio I still love the state. And I have moved out of the state but I'm looking to move back to another area. I have been looking to buy a house near Lexington/Lucas area. My job is in Mansfield but I know the town itself has some crime problems so I don't want to live in town. And because I'm looking to buy I want some land and be able to settle down and maybe have a little family. If anyone has some suggestions about the towm or area I would really appreciate input.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM

120 posts, read 216,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
Today is a lovely day here in SW OH. I'm in my back garden with my dog and cats--barefoot in the cool wet grass, loads of birds chirping loudly, smelling the wet earth and blooming flowers. I lived in Nevada and New Mexico as a kid, and then Phoenix and Denver for 5 years as an adult, so this moment is much appreciated. I hope you make it out here soon
Hello Again! I made it out to Ohio again. In fact, We are leaving Shaker Heights for a drive to Pittsburgh Airport tomorrow. We spent 5 nights in Martins Ferry and 4 in Shaker Heights. I have been so excited about coming back that I spent so much time reading about Ohio because I fell in love with it. This trip, however, didn't go well because we stayed with some friends of my boyfriend's sister. She was a complete ***** to be polite and it ruined it for me. I was so crushed and said that I am done with Ohio but it is not Ohio. Ohio is as lovely as I always said it is in precious posts. Martins Ferry is very depressed but the people there are warm and it means a lot to me. It's the hometown of my beloved and the geography is stunning. It is also very cold here for summer and I love it, just didn't pack properly. I would probably be too much of a wimp in winter as well.

Big lesson, you can't duplicate a vacation! Number 2, stay in hotels not with people you barely know. That can kill everything.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM

243 posts, read 452,444 times
I'm sorry your trip didn't go as planned, however there are good and bad people everywhere. If you still like Ohio, you could come back and explore other parts of the state and stay in a hotel, or even better, a B&B. Did you explore WV and PA as well?

The weather has been cooler than average this past week. Usually it's warmer in July and many of us have welcomed the break from the high 80's and low 90's temps

Weather History for Wheeling, WV | Weather Underground Scroll down to the calendar for comparison.

IMO, autumn is the absolute best season here. I'd come in October or so for your next visit if you do decide to come back. The changing leaves are beautiful and the air is fresh and crisp. There are loads of places to hike and bike (rentals available in some places). Many towns have festivals galore, haunted houses, corn mazes, hay rides, and Oktoberfest (which is actually in late September, I think). I think you might like the Cincinnati area. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 AM

120 posts, read 216,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotprincess View Post
Hello Again! I made it out to Ohio again. In fact, We are leaving Shaker Heights for a drive to Pittsburgh Airport tomorrow. We spent 5 nights in Martins Ferry and 4 in Shaker Heights. I have been so excited about coming back that I spent so much time reading about Ohio because I fell in love with it. This trip, however, didn't go well because we stayed with some friends of my boyfriend's sister. She was a complete ***** to be polite and it ruined it for me. I was so crushed and said that I am done with Ohio but it is not Ohio. Ohio is as lovely as I always said it is in precious posts. Martins Ferry is very depressed but the people there are warm and it means a lot to me. It's the hometown of my beloved and the geography is stunning. It is also very cold here for summer and I love it, just didn't pack properly. I would probably be too much of a wimp in winter as well.

Big lesson, you can't duplicate a vacation! Number 2, stay in hotels not with people you barely know. That can kill everything.
Thank you for the kind note and information. I will look into that if I can. I could have to miss work in fall which sucks. Anyway, we did spend a day in Pittsburgh and another in Wheeling, right across the river from Beidgeport near Martins Ferry. All three of these states merge into such a gorgeous place on the planet.

The big problem is that we barely saw sights but sat on porches with people. I could do that in California. I felt like I came here and missed out. Anyway, if the chance arises again, I will be back and leave the porches at home.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The CC is obviously a world-class institution, and Ohio does have a good number of magnet (research) hospitals, as do many other states, but if the state were a top destination for research and technology, it wouldn't be losing so many people to the coasts and South, would it? California and the Northeast are the hotbeds of research technology, and Ohio & the Midwest could be there if they work together, but it hasn't happened yet.
Your posts, both here and on the other Ohio forums, have gotten pretty mean-spirited lately, FYI.

I am originally from the East Coast - Stony Brook NY - and I moved here. I enjoy living here and I only wish that I'd known how well I could live without sacrificing anything.

I never would live full time in the South. Ever. I hate oppressive heat and the "one acceptable political, social and religious agenda" that one must ascribe to there in order to be accepted.

Ohioans are open, friendly and genuine. I like that in a person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio