Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,992,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
First of all, the fact that you lumped Cleveland and Akron with the rest of those cities just ruined your argument because Cleveland and Akron are only 39 miles apart and in adjacent counties. You can't say that about those other pairs of cities that you mentioned. Furthermore, Cleveland and Akron are already in the same metro: it's called the Cleveland/Akron/Canton CSA! The suburbs of Cleveland and Akron overlap so much that the MSA definition is basically useless. It's not even recognized locally when measuring the region's population. The other pairs of cities that you mentioned are at least 60 miles apart. They aren't even CSA's yet!

Another thing that you fail to realize is that local politics are a factor in determing these CSA/MSA definitions. This is probably why Daytonnati hasn't happened yet and why Cleveland, Akron, and Canton, which are in 3 consecutive counties, are still 3 separate MSA's.
I honestly don't think I've ever met a group of people so insistent on making up whatever they wanted to fit their local worldview. No other forum with posters from Cincinnati/Cleveland are like this. This is truly a unique group.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 AM

14,647 posts, read 14,558,043 times
I have a theory why some are so insistent on adding the Dayton area to Cincinnati's CSA but why bother.

Last edited by Natural510; 06-10-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM

324 posts, read 396,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I honestly don't think I've ever met a group of people so insistent on making up whatever they wanted to fit their local worldview. No other forum with posters from Cincinnati/Cleveland are like this. This is truly a unique group.
First of all, you have a certain worldview that obviously lacks common sense!! Second of all, anyone with a degree of common sense realizes that there are many inconsistencies in the way our metro areas (CSAs and MSAs) are put together. And local politics play a role in determining these CSA/MSA definitions. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
First of all, you have a certain worldview that obviously lacks common sense!! Second of all, anyone with a degree of common sense realizes that there are many inconsistencies in the way our metro areas (CSAs and MSAs) are put together. And local politics play a role in determining these CSA/MSA definitions. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
None of you have bothered to even attempt explain or provide evidence for how local politics has so influenced national MSA designations, that they're specifically preventing Cincinnati/Dayton from being in one metro. I get what the claims are, I just don't buy the premise. Repeatedly making the claim does not prove its validity and never well. And that's really the last I'm going to say on that here.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,829,458 times
Way off topic and has been discussed in other threads for years now.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,902,873 times
For two metropolitan areas to form a CSA, the commuter rate is based on two factors, and both factors include all counties within the MSA, as opposed to the core counties. The first factor is the percentage of workers who reside in the smaller MSA that commute to the larger MSA. The second factor is the percentage of jobs in the smaller MSA that are held by residents of the larger MSA. For a CSA to form, those two numbers, when combined, must equal at least 15%.

If the percentage is 25% or over, then the CSA designation is automatic. If it is between 15% to 25%, then the designation is optional based on whether the local congressional delegation of both areas wants the designation.

In 2010:
10.8% of Dayton MSA residents worked in Cincinnati's MSA
10.6% of Dayton MSA workers resided in Cincinnati's MSA
(OnTheMap)

Combined, that's 21.4%. So, it appears that Cincy and Dayton could be considered a CSA, but either Cincy or Dayton or both don't desire to be associated as such. Hence politicking has prevented the (CSA) merger.

Lawd Jesus knows I had no intention of joining this completely pointless and off-topic discussion.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,005,475 times
^ As for myself, I withdrew from this thread when I determined that: (1) it had adequately addressed the OP's original question; and (2) it had completely derailed, becoming nothing more than one poster's rubber room of misunderstanding and vindictive behavior. Perhaps it would be in everyone's best interest to follow suit.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
For two metropolitan areas to form a CSA, the commuter rate is based on two factors, and both factors include all counties within the MSA, as opposed to the core counties. The first factor is the percentage of workers who reside in the smaller MSA that commute to the larger MSA. The second factor is the percentage of jobs in the smaller MSA that are held by residents of the larger MSA. For a CSA to form, those two numbers, when combined, must equal at least 15%.

If the percentage is 25% or over, then the CSA designation is automatic. If it is between 15% to 25%, then the designation is optional based on whether the local congressional delegation of both areas wants the designation.

In 2010:
10.8% of Dayton MSA residents worked in Cincinnati's MSA
10.6% of Dayton MSA workers resided in Cincinnati's MSA
(OnTheMap)

Combined, that's 21.4%. So, it appears that Cincy and Dayton could be considered a CSA, but either Cincy or Dayton or both don't desire to be associated as such. Hence politicking has prevented the (CSA) merger.

Lawd Jesus knows I had no intention of joining this completely pointless and off-topic discussion.
Not sure how the discussion went from MSA to CSA, but the goalposts change so often it's hard to keep up (not saying you did, btw). Still, interesting numbers and I personally find it hilarious that either one or both of the cities don't want to be combined. Here I thought it was all John Kasich's and Columbus' fault.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,902,873 times
I see both being thrown around ITT, but it seems sensible to figure a CSA merger would almost necessarily precede MSA. I don't want to dig through historical data, but the 15% threshold was probably reached long ago. Seems likely the 25% will come in either 2020 or 2030. I don't know what the MSA criteria are, but like I said I expect CSA to precede it (assuming it will happen at all).

My bet is 3C would have instantly bumped the numbers over 25%, if not 30% or more. There must be a significant number of people who would prefer to live near Dayton but live in the Cincy MSA for job-related reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio