Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,979,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ (lol) Thinking the same thing, natininja. I'm luvin' how Cincinnati's population gets fluffed off as being merely "white/black, along with a handfull of Mexicans," while those other "2-C Ellis Islands" tabulate each and every one of their little percentage-points and declare themselves Exemplars of Diversity. Somehow, Columbus and Cleveland believe that Cincinnati's Caucasians and Negroids came from nowhere, but if a boatload of Slovaks or Somalis arrives in either of their towns, they host a parade and give 'em the keys to the city! (Pass me some of that popcorn, willya?)
Cincinnati does have the smallest metro foreign-born population of the 3-Cs at 4.3% vs Cleveland's 5.9% and Columbus' 7.2%. It does do better in the city foreign-born, coming in 2nd. As far as Europeans go, 22.5% of Cincinnati's metro foreign-born population is from Europe. This is well below Cleveland's 46.2%, but above Columbus' 11.1%. So the picture is definitely mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,901,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Cincinnati does have the smallest metro foreign-born population of the 3-Cs at 4.3% vs Cleveland's 5.9% and Columbus' 7.2%. It does do better in the city foreign-born, coming in 2nd. As far as Europeans go, 22.5% of Cincinnati's metro foreign-born population is from Europe. This is well below Cleveland's 46.2%, but above Columbus' 11.1%. So the picture is definitely mixed.
Seems to me you just backed up the points subocincy and I were trying to make.

Carry on. Keep telling us of exploding diversity. I'll sit here and watch from my city where the foreign born population is over 30% and slightly over 50% of households speak English only at home.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,002,154 times
Quote:
Here we go again with stats that no one here asked for, mainly because such numbers aren't really that important to anyone except to bicker on City-Data. The only thing they do demonstrate is that not one of the "3-Cs" can claim itself to be some sort of Midwest Ellis Island. When it comes to significant immigration patterns, all three cities are quite provincial.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Seems to me you just backed up the points subocincy and I were trying to make.

Carry on. Keep telling us of exploding diversity. I'll sit here and watch from my city where the foreign born population is over 30% and slightly over 50% of households speak English only at home.
I never said Cincinnati was the worst at all types of diversity, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Here we go again with stats that no one here asked for, mainly because such numbers aren't really that important to anyone except to bicker on City-Data. The only thing they do demonstrate is that not one of the "3-Cs" can claim itself to be some sort of Midwest Ellis Island. When it comes to significant immigration patterns, all three cities are quite provincial.
Dude, you're attacking the wrong person. I was basically supporting that Cincinnati isn't the worst at everything. All 3 have strengths and weaknesses in this subject. You guys need to chill out.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I never said Cincinnati was the worst at all types of diversity, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.
Where I'm coming from is that all three of the cities are about as diverse as the Russet Burbank potato farms for McDonald's french fries. You can rank and order them as you please -- put Cincy dead last, I don't care -- it's like figuring out which chihuahua offers the best protection against burglars.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,355,743 times
Quote:
Dude, you're attacking the wrong person. I was basically supporting that Cincinnati isn't the worst at everything. All 3 have strengths and weaknesses in this subject. You guys need to chill out.
lol was thinking the same thing...

Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,355,743 times
Diverstiy can be one of the more overvalued characteristics of any city though. It can actually sometimes be a negative. At my last apartment, I was one of like 4 people that spoke English- everyone else was speaking various Asian languages and Spanish. Hard to build community when people are too different and care more about keeping to their own.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM

It also seems that with affluence comes homogeneity. Even if you have a bunch of different races and ethnicities, if a group is fairly affluent they are probably more alike than different.

The quest for diversity among the white collar set is typically a bit of an elitist fantasy, treating blue collar folks as a novelty to be consumed.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM

434 posts, read 1,160,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameX View Post
In metro areas of the deep south, there are just as much blacks as there is whites. While in the southwest, Mexicans replace blacks as the main non-white group. In metro areas, on the westcoast there are large amounts of Asians. But in the northern half of the US, excluding NYC and DC metro areas, most metro areas have a black/white and not very diverse city core, with white suburbs.

Go back and examine the history of the United States and you'll see why this break down is what it is.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio