Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM

107 posts, read 201,830 times

Advertisements

I was just reading something on Yahoo about the President of Ohio State and how he is constantly making comments about Catholics. I am a devout Catholic, I had 12 years of Catholic schools and I feel very hurt with the things that he says about us. Religion, like race should be off limits on all arenas of life but if you are a President of a University, how can you do that? He says they are all "jokes" but I'm sure he would not like it if someone starting telling "jokes" about his religion (Mormon). Why is it that in this age, 2013, people are still making comments about religion and race? I think it is disgusting! We need to try and all get along because there is so much hate in this world that it really does make me sad. When I was growing up we never heard so much about these things. Today, it is such a common thing but sad. STOP the NEGATIVE stuff already! IT'S SICKENING!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,248 times
Settle down. He was joking around, it's what people do when in what they think are private conversations, but he would have been immediately fired if he made the comments about gays, Muslims or blacks. Sad, but true. But that's how PC works today. Okay to make fun of Catholics, Protestants, Whites, Heteros.....just don't make fun of the other groups. Break that rule at your own risk.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
As an OSU alum, I've never liked Goron Gee. Aside from an unfunny sense of humor, he's really just kind of an unlikable guy in person (but he gets in good with the students by showing up at random off campus parties- "see how cool and hip and like you I am?!?").

Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcin View Post
I was just reading something on Yahoo about the President of Ohio State and how he is constantly making comments about Catholics. I am a devout Catholic, I had 12 years of Catholic schools and I feel very hurt with the things that he says about us. Religion, like race should be off limits on all arenas of life but if you are a President of a University, how can you do that? He says they are all "jokes" but I'm sure he would not like it if someone starting telling "jokes" about his religion (Mormon). Why is it that in this age, 2013, people are still making comments about religion and race? I think it is disgusting! We need to try and all get along because there is so much hate in this world that it really does make me sad. When I was growing up we never heard so much about these things. Today, it is such a common thing but sad. STOP the NEGATIVE stuff already! IT'S SICKENING!!

Why are you offended? Did he say these things directly to you? Does it really impact your real life that much? The Catholics I know and grew up with tell more jokes about Catholics than anyone else I know.
I seriously doubt he or YOU or anyone else can turn off being "human" just because he has the position he has. It isn't offensive and I bet he tells jokes about Mormons as well.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It isn't offensive and I bet he tells jokes about Mormons as well.
He doesn't.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,478 times
Wasn't he specifically referring to Notre Dame officials? And not Catholics in general?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM

243 posts, read 452,428 times
He said something to the effect that they're holy on Sunday, but you can't trust them the other days of the week.

It was a joke, and he apologized. No need to get your knickers in a twist. Coaches banter with their rivals all the time. If you are still offended, I suggest you wear Blue and Gold in protest.

Quote:
Why is it that in this age, 2013, people are still making comments about religion and race?
Why is it that in this age, 2013, we still have r....Oh hell, never mind. That's a different forum.

More people are atheist or agnostic these days (or just not afraid any longer to affirm it), so there's that. There is no one dominant belief within even Christianity, so it opens up criticism even between beliebers. Please don't ever walk into a Baptist Church if you don't like Catholics being criticized. Unless the holy spirit moves you to forgive, you'll likely be upset with your fellow Christians.

I'm curious, were you up in arms over the Mormon jokes during the presidential race last year?

BTW, religion is chosen; race isn't.

Quote:
I think it is disgusting! We need to try and all get along because there is so much hate in this world that it really does make me sad. When I was growing up we never heard so much about these things. Today, it is such a common thing but sad. STOP the NEGATIVE stuff already! IT'S SICKENING!!
I hear prozac helps with the depression.

The world's a rough place. We sure have it tough here in Ohio with our free speech and freedom of religion. You'd never read such a thing in the Tehran Times.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 05-31-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
The initial joke -- how Notre Dame is holy on Sundays and holy hell the other days of the week -- was mildly amusing (although predictable), but he should have stopped there.

Nevertheless, as a Catholic myself but not a Notre Dame fan at all, I was not offended. Exasperated, perhaps.

When I was at UD back in the late 70s, we threw rolls of toilet paper at Digger Phelps. Does that offend you?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree completely with comparing race with religion. Religion is a choice, race is not. And given its many influences in the world, religion should not even remotely be off limits to criticism.

While Gee was certainly not PC about his jokes, and he may very well not like Catholics very much (no idea), but in the context of how he said it, it probably was just a joke. And if people can't laugh at themselves, then they're already missing an important lesson.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:05 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,406 times
Quote:
...Religion, like race should be off limits on all arenas of life... ...Why is it that in this age, 2013, people are still making comments about religion and race? I think it is disgusting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA wayfarer View Post
...More people are atheist or agnostic these days (or just not afraid any longer to affirm it), so there's that... ...BTW, religion is chosen; race isn't...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree completely with comparing race with religion. Religion is a choice, race is not. And given its many influences in the world, religion should not even remotely be off limits to criticism...
Agree with both USA wayfarer & jbcmh81... Of all human endeavors, religion should never be considered sacrosanct, otherwise our world will again be subjected to Bronze/Iron Age belief-systems rather than be guided by 21st-century scientific-paradigms. Under no circumstances should faith supersede rational thought, or our evolution as a species will be reversed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio