Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 AM
lis lis started this thread

5 posts, read 22,678 times

Advertisements

What's up with that particular person that warns us about moving to Ohio.
What do other residents think about this warning? I am looking into relocating to Ohio, especifically Scioto county, from L.A. or looking into Kentucky around (Greenup county). I don't think that Ohio is worser than L.A. We have a lot of pollution, poor air quality/smog, major traffic problems, crimes, gangs, and houses that middle-class/working people cannot afford. I am ready to settle in a country area where is peaceful, surround by nature, and a nice place to raise my kids.

Last edited by lis; 04-03-2006 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-03-2006, 05:38 PM

24 posts, read 103,418 times
I say this about Ohio - The over 8 million residents can't all be wrong

Its like a ford/chevy kind of thing. Some people have bad expirances and tell everyone that's the norm , although it really isn't. Last time i checked, ohio was a great state, i know i enjoy it

Old 04-03-2006, 06:21 PM

16 posts, read 96,884 times
Hello lis! All I have to say is a big AMEN to what you just said!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 21,457 times
Default Ohio is good

I have lived in Ohio all my live. Thought about moving to other areas of the country, but after visiting I find myself missing Ohio. We have flat farmlands to beautiful backcountry, and Industrial Cities. Our state parks are great, and have a lot to offer for free intrance. We have many Colleges and Universities. Our towns vary from one little country store on a corner of cross roads to any size. Just north of Cin. is a small community called Ripley that has a small school that looks to be no larger than 10 rooms. In areas around Dayton, a small town called Tipp City, still has a penny candy store. A child takes a quarter, climbs up on a stool, and picks out the individual candies they want, and carry away their trophy in a small bag.

All in all Ohio is a great place.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:22 PM

73 posts, read 320,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan
All in all, Ohio is not a great place in which to live!

Contact me and I will give you over 60 pages of documented facts that most people are not aware of. I started collecting this information a little over a year ago as a project.

But if you are like most people that live in Ohio; you do not really want to know or care about fixing the problems that are now facing this state. I said this before, new residents really need to research Ohio BEFORE even considering moving to this state.
if you have 60 pages of documented facts that most people are not aware of than they must not be that big of a deal. every state has its problems. this person seems like the hippy/everythings a conspiracy type.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:01 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,970 times
Send me a note and I will give you websites that will wake you up about the dismal condition of this state. But, then again, if you are a native Ohioan, its much easier to just hide your head and let this state continue on its downward trajectory. Like I said before, the residents of Ohio really DO NOT want to know what is going on in their state. This type of attitude is the reason why Ohio has the worst air and water pollution of any state in the country. This type of thinking has also created a population that has the 7th largest number of adults WITHOUT a high school diploma.

Truly do you have any idea what you are talking about? Ohio is a great state and every state has its problems. I have not lived here my whole life. I moved here from Monroeville PA metro Pittsburgh. I now live in Westlake in the Cleveland metro. My job moved me here because this area was better job wise. You sit there and say that Ohio has its problems but you probaly have not lived in another state if you have probaly not more than 3 years. Michigan, PA, WV, North Dakota, and believe it or not Texas they all have higher unemployment rates than Ohio. Ohio's cities are changing greatly. Cleveland is known as "America's Comeback City" and Columbus has one of the fastest growing metros in the midwest. Quicken Loans a very large finacial company im sure you have heard of it is planning on moving out of Detroit and coming to Cleveland where there is a better economy. Trust me im sure that Ohioans realize the problems but so do Floridians. They realize that hurricanes are ruining the economy and that pollution levels are getting out of control. Dont bash Ohio when you dont know other states problems. Many states have worse problems than Ohio. Trust me. Being a native to another state and coming to Ohio i think i would know. Moving to Ohio was one of the best decisions of my life and i dont regret it one bit. The Buckeye State is a great place to live and it offers so much. A change of seasons. Great beaces on Lake Erie. Cedar Point and Paramounts Kings Island two theme parks that bring in some of the highest visitors from across the country. Great major cities that are changing for the better. And Ohio State one of the best universities in the country. Not to mention over the 50,000 enrolled there from across the world. Ohio offers alot and i just think you dont want to notice it. Before you bash Ohio again look at some of the other major problems in other U.S states.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 43,872 times
What I love about this country is that everyone is free to his/her opinion, no matter what the topic. Sure, we have our problems in Ohio. Sure, we used to be a major industrial contributor who has lost that as industry has moved elsewhere. I graduated from high school in 1981 from Philo. We had a steel plant along the Muskingum River. Many of the guys in my class didn't really work very hard in school because they knew the job at the mill would be waiting for them; just like it had for their dads, uncles, older brothers, grandpas, etc. We graduated in May;the plant closed in July. Air quality isn't exactly free from contaminants anywhere an industrialized society exists. School funding sources have changed over the past 10 years, eliminating much of the governmental contributions. This makes for higher taxes and cuts in school programs. Do we honestly think we're alone in this quagmire?! All in all, I LOVE living in Ohio. If I was ashamed, I wouldn't use it in my screen name. I have lived in a small town of 800, moved to progressively larger towns, and now live in a suburb of Columbus. I have loved every single one of them! We're great people who are willing to help in whatever way we can. Don't let "Ohioan" scare you, but by all means, check us out before you move here. We want you to be happy, too. :-)

Old 04-23-2006, 11:25 AM

What I love about this country is that everyone is free to his/her opinion, no matter what the topic.

Yes i agree 110%. That was a great post. Ohio does have its problems. But since i moved here from PA i know Ohio compared to PA. PA seems to be in worse shape. Every state has its problems but i see lots of change across Ohio. I travel to Cincy every summer. Columbus is one of the most progressive cities in the northern half of the country. Columbus is home to many corporations like Wendys, Nationwide, and Progressive. Cincy has 7 fortune 500 HQs making it # 7 in the country with national HQs. Cleveland has many new names for its progressive renisance. Cleveland has been called "America's New City" and "The American Comeback City". Ohio is becoming more of a diverse state each year. With a rapidly growing hispanic population and asian population. Columbus has the highest asian population in the midwest outside of Chicago. Ohio also has a large black population. 11.7% higher than Texas. Cleveland's lakefront has had millions of dollars put into it and has many new plans underway. Ohio is home to the 12th fastest growing county in the country (Deleware County). Ohio has just reached the 11.5 million mark. Ohio might not be growing like Arizona but we have people moving in from other hard beaten states like New York, Michigan, PA, West Virgina. And New York and Mass. were the only states that declined in population. And most young West Virginians from the Charelston, Huntington, and Parkersburg areas are coming to Ohio cities like Columbus, Newark, and Cincinnati. Ohio spends 12th out of 50 states on tourism expense. The city of Cincinnati spends the most out of any major city that has a riverfront. It has plans to add its new highest skyscrapper Queen City Center. Building is spose to start in 2007. And in between Paul Brown stadium home of the Bengals and Great American Ball Park home to the Reds The Banks project is spose to begin. I will provide websites to some of the things i said just to back up my facts. But every state has its problems. And Ohio just like the rest of them are trying to work them out.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...0-cities_x.htm

The 2006 Fortune 500 is out and here is the list of cities with at least 5
Fortune 500 HQ's.....

New York - 44 Fortune 500 company HQ's
Houston - 23
Atlanta - 14
Dallas - 11
Chicago - 10
Charlotte - 7
Cincinnati - 7
Minneapolis - 7
Philadelphia - 7
Richmond - 7
St Louis - 7
Milwaukee - 6
Pittsburgh - 6
San Francisco - 6
Cleveland - 5
Columbus - 5
Denver - 5
Omaha - 5
San Antonio - 5
Seattle - 5

Cleveland's New Developments
removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-26-2006 at 12:38 AM..

Old 04-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Ohioan

I truly think if you dont want to see that there are plenty of other states that are in worse shape than Ohio dont even put post on here. You have nothing but negative post and threads to say. I realize you have to help people when they are planning to move to an area but you give these people nothing but negative comments. Ohio has so many positive things going for it and you dont want to see them. Ohio has many more positive things than Michigan, West Virginia, and New York. You just need to realize the positives Ohio has to offer.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 AM

68 posts, read 546,049 times
Ohioan is absolutely correct in his/her assessment. I visit Ohio frequently for I have a number of relatives living there. I've heard first hand about conditions in the Akron, Cleveland, and Dayton areas. A few of my relatives are very involved politically and with community volunteering, so they don't have their heads in the sand.

Granted, I have found Ohioans to be a friendly people and it does have that "down homey" kind of feel to it, but it does have one of the highest cancer rates in the country because of the pollution. There are serious economic problems as well. The state government appears more corrupt than some other states. And being part of the Ohio River Valley weather system, it is usually overcast. And I find living in a place where the sun doesn't shine too much as depressing as well.

Possibly those that take such offence from the truth don't want their sequestered world view upset. They probably haven't traveled much outside their own little world or lived elsewhere. To label someone a hippie, conspiracy type for telling the truth is ridiculous. But then, hippie, conspiracy types usually are telling the truth anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio