Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDan View Post
I am thinking about moving to Elyria. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the area near Western Heights Park off of West River Road South. I was also wondering if the Riverview Mobile Home Park is still located nearby or what is being done with the area (aerial pictures look like the area has been cleared). Thank you!
I just posted this in the Cleveland discussion.

That's not the best area. Not terrible but it's still considered "the hood".

I'm not sure where Western Hts park is at, I'm thinking it was the small park on gateway just south of Roosevelt Elementary school. They closed that park and have built new houses on it now. Roosevelt Elementary is also closed (merged with Franklin Elementary, further south).

Riverview homes was closed at least 5-10 years ago. They completely leveled it and are building new, low income houses on the property. The whole southwest side is getting many new, low income homes built up and down W River rd S and just off of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,363 times
I was thinking about moving to new home development in Elyria and was wondering how that part of town is compared to the rest. It seems to be on the west side of downtown. The neighborhood is off of Fowl Rd. and that is in between Oberlin Rd. and West Ridge Rd and north of Albrecht Rd. I am new to the area and currently live in Medina and am currently looking to purchase an affordable home in a decent and safe area cause i have 1 kid and 1 on the way. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:11 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatFan1982 View Post
I was thinking about moving to new home development in Elyria and was wondering how that part of town is compared to the rest. It seems to be on the west side of downtown. The neighborhood is off of Fowl Rd. and that is in between Oberlin Rd. and West Ridge Rd and north of Albrecht Rd. I am new to the area and currently live in Medina and am currently looking to purchase an affordable home in a decent and safe area cause i have 1 kid and 1 on the way. Thanks for the help.
If that's the area your looking into, I know it well. And it's not a great and safe as you would think. Just reciently there was another shooting in one of the apartments just across W. Ridge Rd around the Hampshire Apt area of Brunswick Dr. Over aroud the area your looking at you'll have Condor Apt's and there has be plenty of shooting in that area. We can never get the Elyria PD to show up, all of them seem to be cruising aroud Ely Dr and Ohio St where the mayor and the other rich people live.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatFan1982 View Post
How good that neighborhood is depends on who you're asking. By urban and larger city standards, the area is very nice and safe. However the area is very new and suburban, which can be deceiving because there have been some crime problems there, mainly due to the people living in low income apartments and houses. So by suburban standards some would describe it as "ghetto" (not true IMO).

It's probably one of the most diverse areas in Elyria as far as income levels, meaning you have upper-middle class and lower class living next door to eachother and within a few blocks. Chadwick ct is all low income I believe, most of the other apartments have at least some section 8 there, and some of the single and multi-family units in the area are section 8.

I had a friend who lived on one of the circles off of Fowl rd that I used to visit a lot, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I actually like it because the housing is nicer and newer but affordable for most, and it's a lot more diverse and not sheltered compared to most newer/suburban areas (more typical for westside suburbs). Also the new 4 lane road (industrial parkway) which has no traffic and goes directly to downtown in 5-10 mins, is a big plus.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
If that's the area your looking into, I know it well. And it's not a great and safe as you would think. Just reciently there was another shooting in one of the apartments just across W. Ridge Rd around the Hampshire Apt area of Brunswick Dr. Over aroud the area your looking at you'll have Condor Apt's and there has be plenty of shooting in that area. We can never get the Elyria PD to show up, all of them seem to be cruising aroud Ely Dr and Ohio St where the mayor and the other rich people live.
Wow you live in Elyria? How long have you been living there?

I always thought you lived more towards Toledo for some reason.

I've heard of shots fired in that neighborhood a few times but noone was actually hit, the last one was on Chadwick ct where some guy shot at people looking in cars I believe, Man says he shot at four males who attacked him « The Chronicle-Telegram - Lorain County's leading news source. The last murder in that area was actually 11 years ago in 2000. So although it does have crime it's definitely not a bad area.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Wow you live in Elyria? How long have you been living there?

I always thought you lived more towards Toledo for some reason.

I've heard of shots fired in that neighborhood a few times but noone was actually hit, the last one was on Chadwick ct where some guy shot at people looking in cars I believe, Man says he shot at four males who attacked him « The Chronicle-Telegram - Lorain County's leading news source. The last murder in that area was actually 11 years ago in 2000. So although it does have crime it's definitely not a bad area.
I use to work at the Hampshire Apts as a grounds keeper and head maintenance man years ago. I have many friends that live right there on W. Ridge Rd. and back in West Ridge Green Mobile home park. And I use to live there on W. Ridge myself up until "95", but I do a ton of business as along that area still.
I saw that in the paper too, about the shooting at the four guys. With all the Section 8's back off of Burwick Ct, I'm surprised it's not happened more often.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
Default Moving to Turner Blvd, Elyria

Hi, I am moving to Turner Blvd. next month. Anyone know the area?

I just wondered what the place is like, if it is safe, where the best pizza place is,where to go to meet people, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,896 times
Dont listen to them it is horrible gang shooting every day register sex affenders ******s every were

Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 PM

465 posts, read 473,581 times
worse. . . .

Old 05-06-2016, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,222 times
What about Sheffield Village, is it as safe as Avon, Avon Lake and Westlake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio