Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,652,897 times

Advertisements

Not everyone who lives in Ohio wishes that they lived in Florida. To visit? Yes. To live? NO!

OP, I can't take heat all of the time either. If you have friends up here, why not take a trip and check out the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,170,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Are you thinking of Lakeside? It's a historic community on Marblehead - and I know people that live there aren't all rich. It is gated due to the unique way it started (as a Methodist retreat - it's still part of the that church - but you only really notice that during conference time) but it's possible to go into Lakeside and they have many public programs.
No, I'm thinking of the private boating communities. Trust me, they all have $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is pretty in the summer, but everyone in Marblehead wishes they lived in Jacksonville.
I'd rather live in Siberia than Jacksonville. It may come as a shock to you, but a fair majority of people loathe Florida.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,697,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
No, I'm thinking of the private boating communities. Trust me, they all have $$$.
Private boating communities? You mean marinas? Where else is someone going to dock their boat? And believe it or not, they don't all have $$$. I grew up in one.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,598,710 times
If you have a skill set that would allow you to work in a hospital or a company that supplies hospitals or rehab, I would recommend Sandusky as the best city in that area. There are also a ton of tourists in the summer with Cedar Point, but it's become one of the cancer treatment hubs and there's a lot of new businesses to support it.

If you're under 35, also give some thought to Maumee/Sylvania, next to Toledo. There is a lot more to do, fewer tourists, and you're within a 45 minute drive of Marblehead if you have relatives there.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,134,575 times
Quote:
Why won't you swim in Lake Erie? The Lake is the cleanest it's been in decades. You have to watch some of the beaches due to their location and currently, bacteria can build up in localized areas....but the Lake is quite safe to swim in.

You really don't like the area do you?
If you've ever swam in lake Michigan, you would never put a foot in lake Erie again. Up around Traverse City Mich. you can go 100 yds out into the water and still see every grain of sand on the bottom. Lake Erie you can't see your toes in 2 inches of water. Thus the reason why its called (Erie) LOL Chuckle chuckle.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 PM

41,924 posts, read 75,118,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can tell you the sun doesn't shine from October till May
Don't listen to this hyperbole. It's not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Cider Point, the islands, lots of camping, fishing, the glazier groves from the last ice age

Quote:
I just won't swim in lake Erie,
Good. More space for the rest of us.

Quote:
Lake Erie you can't see your toes in 2 inches of water. Thus the reason why its called (Erie) LOL Chuckle chuckle.
Is there a joke in there somewhere?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,697,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is there a joke in there somewhere?
There must because it's certainly not factual. The Lake is the cleanest it's been in along time and in the shallows you can certainly see the bottom with no problems.

What does give Lake Erie it's darker looks is that it's the shallowest of the Great Lakes (but not the smallest fyi) and because it's shallow, storms and wave action do churn up the bottom much more than the deeper lakes.

So it does have less visibility....this is not because Lake Erie is dirty, but because it does have much more sand and silt held in suspension in the water. HUGE difference. I think Earthbound just isn't as familiar with the Great Lakes eco-systems....

Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
There must because it's certainly not factual. The Lake is the cleanest it's been in along time and in the shallows you can certainly see the bottom with no problems.

What does give Lake Erie it's darker looks is that it's the shallowest of the Great Lakes (but not the smallest fyi) and because it's shallow, storms and wave action do churn up the bottom much more than the deeper lakes.

So it does have less visibility....this is not because Lake Erie is dirty, but because it does have much more sand and silt held in suspension in the water. HUGE difference. I think Earthbound just isn't as familiar with the Great Lakes eco-systems....
That's (Earthbound?), thank you.

Yes Erie is shallow and yes its starting to clean up. But out of all the great lakes it seems to be the one that most beaches are closed to swimmer due to high levels of bacteria in the summer. And many times they reported (the media) finding medical waste along Cleveland's shores from the storm drains.

I guess we do have the zebra muscles to thank for trying to clean up lake Erie. They form that those little fellas filter a quart of water each and are thriving off the pollutants that in the water and the steelheads are feeding off them.

I'm no eco expert, but maybe in time it will clean up. Unless the salt minds cave in and wipe everything in it and turn it into a salt water lake.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

41,924 posts, read 75,118,489 times
Quote:
I'm no eco expert, but maybe in time it will clean up.
Have you been living in a cave for the past 40 years?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have you been living in a cave for the past 40 years?
Nope, just live 18 miles south of Lake View Park in Lorain and again during the summer we do here in the news that they close the beaches or warn people not to swim in the lake due to high bacteria levels in the local news.
Did you miss that part in my last post, or do you like to harp on people who don't agree with your views?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio