Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Ohio I considered OSU fairly average on difficultly in getting into the school. Enrollment is so large it seemed like they accepted a high percentage of applicants. In fact back in my day my perception was that Miami of Oxford was a tougher school to get into. I ask how does it rate among the other Ohio State schools in difficulty in getting in? The reason I ask is my son got accepted to OSU, my guess he being a die hard Buckeyes fan had a lot to do with him applying. He also applied to 5 other schools and got accepted to all. OSU then offered him $60k academic money. They also sent him $500 travel voucher to visit(we are out of state). I can say they are recruiting harder than the other schools. Some of our friends in OH say OSU is one of the hardest schools to get into in Ohio these days, how accurate is that?
I actually thought OSU would be #1 on his list (partly because of his sports alliance) we are kind of glad it is not in the top 3 (too far, too cold and too big) and he really has some other great options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
It's definitely harder to get into than it was a decade or two ago. If I'm not mistaken it was open enrollment not too long ago. Miami has definitely been the best public school historically.

The best indicator is the strength of last year's freshman class. Because OSU and Miami are probably the two best public schools across the board, I'll compare the two.

Comparing Miami vs OSU FALL 2013 Class:

Miami
Top 10% of High school class: 44%
ACT Composite score: 26-30
In state: 46.4%
Out of state: 53%

OSU
Top 10% of High school class: 58%
ACT Composite score: 27-31
In state: 71%
Out of state: 21%

So it appears OSU does have a stronger freshman class. However, most of their students are from Ohio.

Keep in mind that Miami still has that "J Crew U" image. OSU is big enough that your son would probably be able to find a niche somewhere. Although the "frat bro" scene is alive and well at OSU like most other large public unis.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,782 times
I attended there a few years ago, and during that time, the acceptance rate nearly halved from somewhere in the 60's to somewhere in the high 30's, and it has probably gone further down. I would not recommend it to anyone who wanted to major in English, history, psychology for a BA (although their BS program is really great), or the academic study of fine arts (as opposed to the performance of them), but would recommend it for most other majors, especially sociology, political science, and the sciences that are not meteorology. Usually the people who live north of campus are less obnoxious than the people who live south and east of campus.

Last edited by dxdtdemon; 03-26-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM

11,058 posts, read 12,452,032 times
When I was applying to Ohio State, I was surprised by the classmates that were getting rejected. Those people ended up at BGSU, OU, CSU, or Akron. So OSU is definitely above all of those places.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times
OSU keeps their freshman acceptance rates lower than the other state schools so they look better in the college rankings. However, I know a ton of people who were rejected as freshmen, took classes at another state school for a year and transferred to OSU with no problem.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
OSU keeps their freshman acceptance rates lower than the other state schools so they look better in the college rankings. However, I know a ton of people who were rejected as freshmen, took classes at another state school for a year and transferred to OSU with no problem.
This is a good point I should have mentioned. Basically anyone and their brother can transfer in. Very low standards there, so to a point, OSU is definitely overrated in its selectiveness.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:41 AM

8 posts, read 9,462 times
Actually, OSU's academic standards have slowly risen over the years and transfers do NOT automatically get a free transfer pass. However, with a solid GPA (and they will still look at your HS ACT score), you have a chance to get in.

As a Miami grad, I thought both of our kids would also attend Miami. Ironically, they both are at OSU. Although a Redhawk at heart, I do now appreciate the OSU decision. The more I have learned about OSU, the better I feel about the decision.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OQuotes View Post
Actually, OSU's academic standards have slowly risen over the years and transfers do NOT automatically get a free transfer pass. However, with a solid GPA (and they will still look at your HS ACT score), you have a chance to get in.

As a Miami grad, I thought both of our kids would also attend Miami. Ironically, they both are at OSU. Although a Redhawk at heart, I do now appreciate the OSU decision. The more I have learned about OSU, the better I feel about the decision.
It's extremely extremely easy to transfer in. Even today.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's extremely extremely easy to transfer in. Even today.
This is true with any state school in the entire US. Why is it a knock on OSU, but not the others?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
This is true with any state school in the entire US.
Somehow I doubt this.

What about Berkeley? UVA? UW-Madison? Shoot, even Michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: