U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM

4,193 posts, read 55,656 times
Default Working in Austintown

My dh is working in Austintown and we live in Pittsburgh. So to cut down on the commute, we were thinking of buying a small house that he could stay there one or two nights a week. We cannot move full-time as our kids are still in school here and love it, also i Work in Pittsburgh.

Our budget would be no more than $40K.

Are there any decent areas that someone would recommend for our situation. Any areas of Youngstown either that are decent?

Thanks

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM

3,217 posts, read 4,044,598 times
There are a number of west side Youngstown houses for sale for less than $40k.

My own west side house is for sale for $30k. It would be a great occasional weekend house, too, because it's directly adjacent to Mill Creek Park, close to downtown and Fellows Riverside Gardens, has a large deck off the back, etc.

And, just so no one thinks I'm advertising, here is another house that must have a very motivated seller, (or there is something wrong with the house) as the neighborhood is as good as any you'll find in the area: (and it's also adjacent to the park) 2315 Bears Den Rd, Youngstown, OH 44511 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 05-24-2014, 07:16 AM

707 posts, read 585,276 times
I agree with JR_C. Look for something on the west side of Youngstown (anything west of the park). It's a safe area, and has an almost suburban feel to it. Plus it borders Austintown, so he'll have a very easy commute. The reason houses are so cheap is because the schools are absolutely atrocious, but that's not an issue in your situation.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:28 PM

3,521 posts, read 1,069,281 times
Living in SoCal but originally from Ytown and keep up on the goings on:

Problem with that part of the west side (or west side in general) in this situation is it doesn't knock much time off the commute from Pittsburgh.

I was thinking Struthers might be a better option cuz it's southeast of the city but has access to 680 via Midlothian or a drive thru Poland.

Crime wise, that part of the west side is probably better than the northern half of Struthers at this point. What's up with folks robbing joints on Yo-Po Road this week?

Here's a house on Harvey in Struthers...

154 Harvey St, Struthers, OH 44471 is For Sale - Zillow

I would say that's a good deal but some fool just robbed the CVS right there last night.

From that part of Struthers you can get to Austintown in 20 minutes or less. It cuts about 20 minutes off the trip to Pitt though as compared to the west side.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Here's a good find in North Lima, Ohio. Asking 45K so a little over your budget...

http://m.homes.com/property/52-e-sou...-600026242354/

Google maps has that house 21 minutes to Austintown and 57 minutes to Pittsburgh.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:10 PM

The reason is because he is raking up 800 miles a week, and every other week he works saturday, so he stays in our van overnight on friday night.. But that shift will end in Nov, but then there is the snow to deal with. Wouldn't mind a little village or so that we could weekend there sometimes.

The main thing is to cut down on the mileage weekly.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 783,186 times
Have you thought about a condo? Lots of lower end condos in Austintown. If he isn't going to be there everyday it might work better than a house.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Condos seem to be more pricey than we would like to spend ; a lot more pricey. But I will keep looking. Thanks for the idea.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
The reason is because he is raking up 800 miles a week, and every other week he works saturday, so he stays in our van overnight on friday night.. But that shift will end in Nov, but then there is the snow to deal with. Wouldn't mind a little village or so that we could weekend there sometimes.

The main thing is to cut down on the mileage weekly.
I see you're in Bridgeville.

North Lima is a great bet then. You get off 76 and you're there. It's very safe and has access to Boardman if you need a little more in terms of entertainment/food options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio