Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 11:03 PM

16 posts, read 40,088 times

Advertisements

doesn't anyone have any info on vermilion?? Is it still safe there????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 95,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfamily View Post
doesn't anyone have any info on vermilion?? Is it still safe there????
I'm in Sandusky and travel to Vermilion regularly. It appears quite safe to me. Don't have any statistics, however. I know the school system had difficulties passing a levy a few years ago, but I believe it eventually did pass. They built a nice ballfield near the high school a couple of years ago. The fire chief of the volunteer fire department (Knoff?) retired last year; I saw recently that he died.

My friend's mother, sister and aunt live in Vermilion in very nice housing. There is some new housing on the east side of the town. The town still hosts the "Fish Festival" in the summer and the "Woolly Bear" festival in the early fall (with the obligatory appearance by Dick Goddard).

The Lorain Ford plant is closed, so that probably impacted the employment rate in Vermilion. It's still a tourist/boating town.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM

16 posts, read 40,088 times
Default thank you

Thanks so much, we are currently out here in vegas. I like it here, but we have been missing the small town feel. The schools here are horrible!! There was just a shooting at a school bus stop!! Tooo many gangs out here, you get shot for honking your horn at someone. The crimes here seem to be very random too, and happen in nice areas. It's like there is no safe part of town out here. You have to watch your back at all time. Wish we were back home, in vermilion.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Vermillion is still a safe place and is probably as safe as it was 10 years ago. Ive been there a couple times and it seems like a nice place.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:32 AM

213 posts, read 697,892 times
Grew up in Vermilion and the neighboring city, Amherst.

Yes, it is still a fairly safe, nice little blue collar community. The population still doubles in the summertime to around 15k people.

Despite Ford Motor Company closing, it doesn't really seem like the depression that everyone was predicting has come to pass. If you are in the market for a nice home, you can probably land a pretty nice value here, at least in terms of $ per square foot.

The schools are about average, with a suprisingly above average teen pregnancy, alcohol, and drug problem, however. This has been an issue for quite some time, and is nothing really new. More than likely the effect of bored teenagers being quite segregated from any large cities or activities.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:30 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugercaptain View Post
I'm in Sandusky and travel to Vermilion regularly. It appears quite safe to me. Don't have any statistics, however. I know the school system had difficulties passing a levy a few years ago, but I believe it eventually did pass. They built a nice ballfield near the high school a couple of years ago. The fire chief of the volunteer fire department (Knoff?) retired last year; I saw recently that he died.

My friend's mother, sister and aunt live in Vermilion in very nice housing. There is some new housing on the east side of the town. The town still hosts the "Fish Festival" in the summer and the "Woolly Bear" festival in the early fall (with the obligatory appearance by Dick Goddard).

The Lorain Ford plant is closed, so that probably impacted the employment rate in Vermilion. It's still a tourist/boating town.
They are correct, Vermilion is a nice little town with a good history. And the local police usually don't mess with folks, but they don;t take any crap from outsiders either. There seems to be alot of old money in the town, so that means that the locals usually take care of each other.
I think that you'll like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: