U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,855 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Minneapolis, MN my whole life and LOVED it...the lakes, festivals, people and I generally feel safe riding my bike everywhere (I don't have a car). Recently my boyfriend received news that he would be relocated to Lima, OH to help with some work on a refinery. From what I've looked up online, Lima DOES NOT seem anything like Minnesota, nor does it seem safe. Is this accurate? I will be looking for a job and will have to bike to and from there and want to feel safe doing so. We have less than two weeks to find a place but I really do not want to live in Lima if its as bad as it seems.
Are there any other cities nearby that aren't as bad and are safer? What about activities or things to do in areas around Lima? Will I be bored or are their events and adventures to be had?
We are both in our mid-twenties that are open to trying new things but also love the outdoors and nerdy things...where would we fit in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM

306 posts, read 331,351 times
Hmm, Lima is not going to remotely compare to MSP. Your best bet would be to live as close to Columbus and commute to work if you want anything like MSP. Toledo would be another option as well.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM

9,354 posts, read 15,806,967 times
I think you are in for a rude awakening. Lima is in the middle of nowhere. The county Lima is in and the surrounding counties are rural, they have no large or medium size cities, a few small cities at best, and a number of villages. Lima does have a pretty significant crime rate for it population size, but I am sure there are some decent areas. Call the police and find out what part of time has the least problems. Don't expect much to do. That part of Ohio is rural/farm land and small towns until you get close to Toledo, Ohio. Ada, Ohio is a small college town about 20 or so minutes from Lima that might be worth looking at (with the understanding that you will be looking for a job in a very small college town. If you are looking for cultural events, you need to make the hour and a half trek to Dayton, Toledo, or Fort Wayne, Indiana. Columbus, Ohio is a little more distant by about 15 or 20 minutes. There are a couple of state parks near Lima where you can find fishing, camping, boating and some hiking.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,855 times
Thank you for the quick responses!
I have heard a few good things about Bluffton...any ideas on that area?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:10 PM

9,354 posts, read 15,806,967 times
My guess is that it is also a nice, small college town. Again, you will be in a rural county surrounded by rural counties. Most people never heard of Bluffton until the university baseball team was involved in a pretty horrible bus crash in Atlanta, GA a few years ago.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 PM

44 posts, read 62,230 times
ive been living in lima for coming up on 3 years, for school. This place is a dump!!!! there are good and bad parts, but its mostly overrun by the UNOH college kids(yes im one of them, but im older and mature enough to not stand out like them) honestly elida, shawnee, bluffton, wapak are all nice areas withing a couple minutes of lima.
You will come to realize that you hate this place, all the diesel smoke blowing, ricer revving, and just plain out immature UNOH students.
You may wonder why i keep mentioning these kids??? Because Lima is 3/4 UNOH students and the other quarter is scummy run down area. i can answer any questions you may have if interested.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,784,740 times
Lima.

It's your typical rust-belt town. In Minnesota, Duluth is somewhat comparable. It's an option that could be done with some research like networking with YP's there on meetup.com, etc. It does have a nice downtown area that is relatively clean.

Overall though the YPs gravitate more to Findlay, about 35 minutes to the northeast along 75. Marathon Petroleum HQ is there, as are a lot of operations like DC's and manufacturing facilities for Fortune 500s. The city itself has about 50,000 residents. Bowling Green, home to BGSU is another half hour up 75, and Toledo is an hour.

As for Bluffton - I frequently and jokingly refer to it as my favorite city on the face of the earth! Why? Because inevitably I end up there every single time I go up that way. Whether's it's because I'm travelling with others and they want to stop or because I have to puke (true story) or because a buddy wants me to pick up some fireworks, I always end up there. Never really ventured into town, I generally frequent the commercial area along the highway. But I have heard it's very nice. It's also home to GROB, probably the only cornfield "skyscraper" known to man

Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialmonk View Post
I have lived in Minneapolis, MN my whole life and LOVED it...the lakes, festivals, people and I generally feel safe riding my bike everywhere (I don't have a car). Recently my boyfriend received news that he would be relocated to Lima, OH to help with some work on a refinery. From what I've looked up online, Lima DOES NOT seem anything like Minnesota, nor does it seem safe. Is this accurate? I will be looking for a job and will have to bike to and from there and want to feel safe doing so. We have less than two weeks to find a place but I really do not want to live in Lima if its as bad as it seems.
Are there any other cities nearby that aren't as bad and are safer? What about activities or things to do in areas around Lima? Will I be bored or are their events and adventures to be had?
We are both in our mid-twenties that are open to trying new things but also love the outdoors and nerdy things...where would we fit in?

outdoors and nerdy things.....LOL. you sound like my sister only she moved from Lima to MSP haha.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 AM

874 posts, read 1,029,736 times
Indian Lake and Grand Lake St. Mary's are recreational lakes that are not too far from Lima.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:04 AM

44 posts, read 62,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
. It does have a nice downtown area that is relatively clean.
are you talking about lima with this sentence??? if so when was the last time you have been to lima's downtown area??? lol its far from clean, trash all over the walkways and street sides, houses that are boarded up, moldy and broken. poor people walking around trying to bum money and the hookers that walk around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio