Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:33 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Um, off the top of my head, I can think of at least a half dozen other renovations of historic homes taking place, within a couple blocks of my house. And, that's ignoring the homes that have already been restored over the past 10-15 years, in the Wick Park neighborhood.
I'd love to see pictures of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I'd love to see pictures of these.
I've been meaning to get out and take more photos, since I moved to the new house, but have been really busy. If I get a chance, I'll go for a walk this week, and get some new shots.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I've been meaning to get out and take more photos, since I moved to the new house, but have been really busy. If I get a chance, I'll go for a walk this week, and get some new shots.
This is an older article, and you may have already seen it, but it has some nice photos:

More Wick Park residents renovate former stately homes - The Youngstown Project

Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
This is an older article, and you may have already seen it, but it has some nice photos:

More Wick Park residents renovate former stately homes - The Youngstown Project
Yep, I have seen that article before. I know Rob, Joe, and Rachel. (never met Lou Kennedy, though)

Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Because of that article I just spent a long time on Google Earth while listening to the Indians' game.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Because of that article I just spent a long time on Google Earth while listening to the Indians' game.
If you were virtually wandering around the Wick Park neighborhood, I hope you weren't too disappointed that the street view is over 3 years old.

I will try to get out and take some photos, soon. But I can't promise how soon.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
...banks are unwilling to give loans to owners in the area, most Wick Park homeowners must tackle and pay for renovations themselves...
^ That is going to be a huge impediment to many people. I did the Pay-as-you-go thing on the house I used to own. Made $23k profit on selling it, but dayum, that was doing it the hard way. You have to be the type of person who can "camp out" and "make do" while living in basically a shack. I don't think I'd want to tackle another major fixer-upper by that means.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
^ That is going to be a huge impediment to many people. I did the Pay-as-you-go thing on the house I used to own. Made $23k profit on selling it, but dayum, that was doing it the hard way. You have to be the type of person who can "camp out" and "make do" while living in basically a shack. I don't think I'd want to tackle another major fixer-upper by that means.
It is tough. I had it easy; I did the bulk of the work needed to make my house habitable while living in my west side house. (and my house was in relatively good shape, too) I look at some of my friends' houses, and think it must be kind of like living in Roman ruins. Sure, you have beautiful quarter sawn oak woodwork, or drawn plaster crown moldings in your grand parlor, but there is a huge hole in the ceiling, from when the plumbing froze, three years ago.

Hopefully, as more of us get further along, and property values start to rise, others can come along and use more conventional means to finance the restoration of their homes.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
LOL, yeah, hole in the ceiling, big rubber stopper stuffed into the waste stack, plywood over the window that has no glass. hehe Tonnes of fun. ;-D

Just out of curiosity, what do you folks do for insurance? If the building isn't up to code, I imagine insurance co. won't write a policy on it, either? Had to upgrade electric and put a roof on my former place before I could get insurance or mortgage. In that case, the seller did it and tacked the cost onto the price. But if you are buying an abandoned or vacant house or foreclosed house, how are they handling that now?

Did you sell your 1st house?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
LOL, yeah, hole in the ceiling, big rubber stopper stuffed into the waste stack, plywood over the window that has no glass. hehe Tonnes of fun. ;-D

Just out of curiosity, what do you folks do for insurance? If the building isn't up to code, I imagine insurance co. won't write a policy on it, either? Had to upgrade electric and put a roof on my former place before I could get insurance or mortgage. In that case, the seller did it and tacked the cost onto the price. But if you are buying an abandoned or vacant house or foreclosed house, how are they handling that now?
Well, like I said, my house was in relatively good condition, and didn't need a new roof. So I didn't have any problem getting insurance; although they did want me to upgrade the electrical service, and get rid of the fuses.

The others (the 2 houses I'm most familiar with, anyway) replaced their roofs, electrical service, and plumbing right away, at least enough to make the house considered habitable.

Quote:
Did you sell your 1st house?
Unfortunately, no. I recently checked sale prices of comparable houses in the neighborhood, and was shocked at how low they were. So, even if I were willing to sell the house that low, I couldn't, because I still owe more than that on my mortgage. I'm in the process of renting it out. (I'm told that's the smart move, financially, anyway. I just don't want to be a landlord.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio