U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,090 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of affordable starter homes in the Youngstown area.
What neighborhoods should we stay away from?
How bad is the crime?
How are the schools?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 PM
 
911 posts, read 1,638,078 times
Reputation: 1112
Crime really isn't as bad as outsiders make it out to be. It's mainly concentrated to a few problem areas in the Youngstown city limits. All of the suburbs are perfectly safe. Same with the schools. Youngstown city schools are terrible, but again all of the schools in the suburbs are good to great.

Keep in mind that a few of the suburbs bordering Youngstown can use Youngstown as a mailing address. It's best to look at the zip codes to determine if something is in the actual city or a nearby suburb.

For example:
44512 = Boardman, the town just south of Youngstown
44514 = Poland, SE of Youngstown and east of Boardman
44515 = Austintown, just west of Youngstown

What is your budget? What type of neighborhood/town are you looking for? The Youngstown area has a variety of towns, from larger suburbs with all kinds of retail and dining options, to smaller towns with a few little shops to rural areas.

If you want to live in the city limits of Youngstown (I don't recommend this unless you want to send your kids to Catholic schools), I'd look on the west side. It has suburban feel to it, and is close to Mill Creek Park, which is an absolute gem of a park. Houses will be the cheapest in the city, but I wouldn't want to send my kids to Youngstown city schools or Catholic ones.

The nicest (and most expensive) areas are Canfield and Poland. Austintown and Boardman are larger and offer more in terms of amenities. All four of those towns have great schools. Once you go outside of those areas, it gets more rural.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 PM
 
498 posts, read 1,441,098 times
Reputation: 221
If you take a trip to the city you will see how it is just another hardscrabble Rust Belt town still down on its luck. What you save in money on the starter home you will lose in job prospects, cultural stimulation, and friendliness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Crime really isn't as bad as outsiders make it out to be.
Reality demands a revision of this sentence. A. Crime really is as bad as outsiders and your potential neighbors make it out it be. B. The economy isn't as good as activists make it out to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
It's mainly concentrated to a few problem areas in the Youngstown city limits.
Just mostly the North side, South, and East Sides although there are shady areas in the West. Downtown not as much because there are only a few people around and a bunch of bars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
The Youngstown area has a variety of towns, from larger suburbs with all kinds of retail and dining options, to smaller towns with a few little shops to rural areas.
Everything is smaller in Youngstown including the suburbs. Think three or four medium suburbs with a bunch of chains in strip malls and some locally-owned Italian restaurants.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2014, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica
36,469 posts, read 15,824,891 times
Reputation: 14228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerde14 View Post
I've seen a lot of affordable starter homes in the Youngstown area.
What neighborhoods should we stay away from?
How bad is the crime?
How are the schools?
If you're focusing on crime and schools avoid the entire city.

Are you interested in the suburbs or rural outskirts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
5,320 posts, read 8,900,320 times
Reputation: 5322
I agree with the others that the Youngstown City Schools are performing poorly. So, if schools are an issue, then the rest of my post is moot.

I agree with TheYO that the crime problem, for the average person, is overstated. If you expect the same level of crime you'd get in any city, and take appropriate precautions (don't keep valuables in your car, don't leave first floor windows open at night, lock your doors, maybe get a cheap security system, etc.) you'll be fine.

I've lived in the city for over 12 years now, and was the victim of one burglary. I left a 1st floor window--that I thought was inaccessible--open overnight, (I left the same window open all summer for the previous 3 years without a problem) and they stole my TV and computer monitor.

As for areas to avoid within the city limits of Youngstown, this map is kind of old, but will still give a general idea. I'd avoid any of the blue areas labeled "redevelopment," as those areas are most blighted. In addition, I'd avoid neighborhoods: 11, 41, 42, 43, 44, 47, 48, and 50. I'm not sure about the orange "transitional" neighborhoods south of there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Boardman, OH
602 posts, read 1,943,887 times
Reputation: 384
Newport, 33, & 34 I'd avoid as well. I'm no fan of the East Side or Campbell either. Not to mention, the areas off Salt Springs have seen better days.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
5,320 posts, read 8,900,320 times
Reputation: 5322
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
Newport, 33, & 34 I'd avoid as well. I'm no fan of the East Side or Campbell either. Not to mention, the areas off Salt Springs have seen better days.
Neighborhoods 5, 121, and 122?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Boardman, OH
602 posts, read 1,943,887 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Neighborhoods 5, 121, and 122?
Yea, 4 & 7 as well. Knew people who lived over that way, dumpy area if you ask me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 01:50 PM
 
Location: NW Penna.
1,758 posts, read 3,652,805 times
Reputation: 1879
Keep in mind, OP, that much of Youngstown has been boarded up and left vacant until it's either demolished or torn down. Youngstown 2010 was a plan to relocate residents, concentrate the remaining population into the newer smaller sq area, and completely abandon parts of the city. That's kind of happening by "attrition," as they continue to burn down the South Side. Youngstown is one oversized and spread-out place that is becoming more urban prairie than city Much of it was built in the 1920s boom period. Then another smaller expansion in the Post-WWI era. All over the place now, you'll see streets of dingy and poorly-maintained 1920s houses, maybe 2-3 in a row, and then sections of empty land where several houses were burned and demolished. Some blocks have more vacant land that homes left. The amount of buildings that have disappeared in the past 10 years is staggering.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...use-house.html

IF the gangs, guns, drugs, and thugs could be removed, then it might become a place in which to invest. But as-is, it's grungy and grimy and shabby in a creepy sort of way. Decent people who live there are sick and tired of all the gunplay, the hoards of people who walk down the middle of the street when there are good sidewalks on either side, the low level of population with a baccalaureate degree (only 9-10%), the ghetto culture that overruns the place like a Biblical plague, etc.
Officials tread carefully on plans to reduce city's footprint : Youngstown, Ohio

Dig up some of the YouTube videos of residents doing their street thing.


A drive through Youngstown, Ohio PT I April 2014 - YouTube jump it to about 5:00

Youngstown News, Judge says driving without a license is No. 1 crime in Youngstown
Quote:
Cearfoss estimates that as many as 45 percent of Youngstown’s drivers are without a license, insurance or both.
Cearfoss estimates that as many as 45 percent of Youngstown’s drivers are without a license, insurance or both. - See more at: Youngstown News, Judge says driving without a license is No. 1 crime in Youngstown

Arson: Blue-collar America is burning | MLive.com
Quote:
Already with one of the highest arson rates in the nation, Youngstown, Ohio, had 230 arsons last year -- 75 percent of which a fire official there estimates were in vacant buildings.
“If it wasn’t for vacant buildings, (firefighters) would just be sitting around looking at each other,” said Youngstown Fire Capt. Alwin Ware, adding that city's south side has been "eaten up" by fire.

Yeah, people live there. It suites them, for whatever reason. But it isn't a nice area to live in. I don't even go there anymore. Ghetto people overran the place years ago. If you want to avoid ghetto culture, then avoid Youngstown.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
5,320 posts, read 8,900,320 times
Reputation: 5322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Keep in mind, OP, that much of Youngstown has been boarded up and left vacant until it's either demolished or torn down. Youngstown 2010 was a plan to relocate residents, concentrate the remaining population into the newer smaller sq area, and completely abandon parts of the city. That's kind of happening by "attrition," as they continue to burn down the South Side. Youngstown is one oversized and spread-out place that is becoming more urban prairie than city Much of it was built in the 1920s boom period. Then another smaller expansion in the Post-WWI era. All over the place now, you'll see streets of dingy and poorly-maintained 1920s houses, maybe 2-3 in a row, and then sections of empty land where several houses were burned and demolished. Some blocks have more vacant land that homes left. The amount of buildings that have disappeared in the past 10 years is staggering.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...use-house.html

IF the gangs, guns, drugs, and thugs could be removed, then it might become a place in which to invest. But as-is, it's grungy and grimy and shabby in a creepy sort of way. Decent people who live there are sick and tired of all the gunplay, the hoards of people who walk down the middle of the street when there are good sidewalks on either side, the low level of population with a baccalaureate degree (only 9-10%), the ghetto culture that overruns the place like a Biblical plague, etc.
Officials tread carefully on plans to reduce city's footprint : Youngstown, Ohio

Dig up some of the YouTube videos of residents doing their street thing.


A drive through Youngstown, Ohio PT I April 2014 - YouTube jump it to about 5:00
Nice video! Too bad they didn't make it in May. The first 5 minutes are in Mill Creek Park, around Lake Glacier. Then, they exit the park onto Glenwood Ave. in the Oakhill neighborhood. (one of the neighborhoods the OP was already warned about) At around 6:15, they turn onto Mahoning Ave. and drive through the Mahoning Commons area, which is an interesting mix of light industrial and artists' venues/studios; but very little residential. Then, at 8:30, they cross the Spring Commons bridge, and enter downtown.

Quote:
Youngstown News, Judge says driving without a license is No. 1 crime in Youngstown

Cearfoss estimates that as many as 45 percent of Youngstown’s drivers are without a license, insurance or both. - See more at: Youngstown News, Judge says driving without a license is No. 1 crime in Youngstown

Arson: Blue-collar America is burning | MLive.com



Yeah, people live there. It suites them, for whatever reason. But it isn't a nice area to live in. I don't even go there anymore. Ghetto people overran the place years ago. If you want to avoid ghetto culture, then avoid Youngstown.
In your opinion. Sure, some people share your opinion, but that doesn't make it universal.

Anyway, all of this is probably moot, as the OP is unlikely to choose anywhere in the city, due to the poor performance of the schools.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top