Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,330 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm technologically incompetent, and I can't figure out how to start a new thread.

I guess I'll pose my question here, and hope somebody is gracious enough to answer.

I know things in Youngstown are a bit rough, but I'm looking at an investment property in the North Heights neighborhood, near the Stambaugh Golf Course. Does anyone know if college students generally rent in that neighborhood, and if so, what's a common rental rate for college kids renting out a 4-bedroom home?

I know it would be a gamble, but I'm thinking of buying a 4-bed in North Heights, renting it out for a few years, and eventually moving my family from AZ (where house prices are insane) to that rental--depending on how crime and other stats do or don't improve in the next years.

Much thanks for your help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:01 PM

5,496 posts, read 9,434,388 times
RentalInvestment, in the Ohio forum, click on "Forum Tools." A short list of options will drop down, and one of the choices will be "Post a new thread."

I'm sorry I can't really answer your questions, though.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:45 AM

492 posts, read 2,362,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentalInvestment View Post
Ok, so I'm technologically incompetent, and I can't figure out how to start a new thread.

I guess I'll pose my question here, and hope somebody is gracious enough to answer.

I know things in Youngstown are a bit rough, but I'm looking at an investment property in the North Heights neighborhood, near the Stambaugh Golf Course. Does anyone know if college students generally rent in that neighborhood, and if so, what's a common rental rate for college kids renting out a 4-bedroom home?

I know it would be a gamble, but I'm thinking of buying a 4-bed in North Heights, renting it out for a few years, and eventually moving my family from AZ (where house prices are insane) to that rental--depending on how crime and other stats do or don't improve in the next years.

Much thanks for your help and advice.
Can you give us some streets? I'm not familiar with the "North Heights" term. I'm guessing that means the North Side, which has streets with well-maintained mansions and sections of poorly-maintained ghettos. On the North Side you'll never be more than a few blocks away from rough areas.

As a single guy, I would live in the "nice" areas of the North Side in a heartbeat. But if I had a family, I would give it much more serious consideration. Not saying I wouldn't, but there are lots of things to think about: schools (I wouldn't send my kids to the city schools); taxes (the city takes nearly 3% of your income); safety (I wouldn't want my kids straying more than a block or two from the house, no matter how old they were.)

If it's close to Gypsy Lane, I doubt you'd have many college kids wanting to live that far away from campus. I could be totally wrong, but it's just my guess. And I really couldn't tell you about the price.

Buying a house in Youngstown is a gamble. If there's any place that might gentrify in the city, it would be the North Side. The architecture is quite appealing, it's not as far gone as other sections of the city, and there's already somewhat of an artsy, intellectual community there. But I don't see that happening any time soon. I really don't see the North Side getting much worse either.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 PM

5,496 posts, read 9,434,388 times
Boardmanite,
North Heights from the Youngstown 2010 website:

http://www.youngstown2010.com/neighborhoods/north/north_heights/north_heights.htm (broken link)

Look at the aerial view. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in the city, but it is pretty far north--far from YSU.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:35 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,691,429 times
Moved to a new thread
Yac.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the map, JR_C. That is one of the best neighborhoods in the city. I'd still stay closer to Gypsy and Fifth, especially since Belmont is the western boundary. There's no doubt that you can get a lot of house for your money is this area.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times
I dont know a lot about Youngstown but the Northside is probably the best area of the city. The worst areas seem to be near Oak Hill Ave., Woodland Ave. and Kenmore Ave. basically the South Central area of Youngstown is the worst, the eastside also isnt too nice but some places on the far westside and the northside are still pretty nice. Its sad what happened to Youngstown it lost about half of its population and now is basically a small version of Detroit, but the city has a lot of history and hopefully it will come back.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:37 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,289,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Its sad what happened to Youngstown it lost about half of its population and now is basically a small version of Detroit, but the city has a lot of history and hopefully it will come back.
Y town make a come back

That ship has sailed and I believe it has fell off the edge of the earth

And in its fall, it fell into a wormhole and is now 20 billion light years away from the planet earth

Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 AM

An interesting mindset exists in Youngstown. When I told people I was considering moving to Korea, they were shocked. "Why would you want to move to a developing country?!"

South Korea is light years ahead of Youngstown.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:05 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,289,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
An interesting mindset exists in Youngstown. When I told people I was considering moving to Korea, they were shocked. "Why would you want to move to a developing country?!"

South Korea is light years ahead of Youngstown.
Been there myself on business. You got that right! Aside from the lack of transportation infrastructure, they are light years ahead of the US in general not just Y town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio