Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times

Advertisements

I moved away from OH more than 20 years ago for 2 major reasons: there were no teaching positions to be found and to escape the harsh winters. I would have had to subtitute for a year or more before even being considered for a full time position after graduating from college, but I could not live on sub. pay and no benefits for that long. I was also tired of shoveling my sidewalk, scraping ice off windshields, bitter cold winds, sliding on slippery roads, etc. Winter was fun when I was a kid, but not as an adult! (of course, that's just me).

Anyway, I still love OH and sing its praises every chance I get because it is a beautiful state full of friendly people with wholesome values. I still have many family members up there, but don't get back very often, unfortunately. Several of them are planning to move down here (SC) due to no jobs up there....places of employment closing...and I have connections here to get them hired.

So, yes, many people are moving away from OH for various reasons - with employment probably being the #1 reason. Most will miss it and want to move back eventually, though. There's no place like home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
I actually want to take this opportunity to post a link for a recent news story in the PD.

High-tech jobs go begging in Northeast Ohio - The Cleveland Plain Dealer Early Edition - Read tomorrow's stories today

"NEO--5,000 health care and information technology jobs that are unfilled."

It seems that it's not necessarily the lack of jobs, but the lack of qualified skills (i.e. little or no college, no med school, etc.) When manufacturing left the northern cities, people had good jobs without major education -- which ended up being a HUGE cultural shift. Not saying that Ohio is gleaming with high paying jobs, but they are there for those who want them.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I actually want to take this opportunity to post a link for a recent news story in the PD.

High-tech jobs go begging in Northeast Ohio - The Cleveland Plain Dealer Early Edition - Read tomorrow's stories today

It seems that it's not necessarily the lack of jobs, but the lack of qualified skills (i.e. little or no college, no med school, etc.) When manufacturing left the northern cities, people had good jobs without major education -- which ended up being a HUGE cultural shift. Not saying that Ohio is gleaming with high paying jobs, but they are there for those who want them.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing...

Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times
Quote:

Isn't that very interesting.

I worked for a high-tech Fortune 500 corporation in the Cleveland area for over 10 years. I know many high-tech professionals (myself included) who have moved out west/southwest to find better paying jobs. Entry level tech jobs start out at a higher salary out here then senior level positions in the Cleveland area even with 10+ years invested in one company.

If they want to attract qualified people, they simply need to raise the rewards to attract new employees and retain the local talent. Otherwise, the exodus will continue.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
wideopensky,

When did you move away? (Or do you still live here?) It sounds like all the tech job openings have been in the last 3-5 years. I don't know if the salary offerings have raised though, but would there be a decent adjustment benefit beasue of the low cost of living in Cleveland?

I've been searching for news on the region, hears another one:

"In northeast Ohio, 15 Israeli companies have opened up shop in the Cleveland suburb of Beachwood in the past four years."

US market serving as magnet for Israeli companies - International Herald Tribune

Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times
Quote:

I am a OH native and I have to say that I was a little offended by your implication that people here aren't doing their part to obtain employment. It is true that higher education is vitally important in todays job market. However, not everyone has the luxury of obtaining that higher education. I don't know when you last checked, but a college education isn't free. I'm a single parent and worked hard to put myself through a two year college program. I am the first in my family to receive a college degree and am proud of what I have accomplished. Even still, I find it extremely hard to find work and struggle daily to make ends meet. As a matter of fact, I'm not even working in my field of study and I haven't been for the last 3 years.
Because of this, I too have been seeking life outside of OH but am finding it very difficult to coordinate when I'm doing it blindly.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:36 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times
Quote:
wideopensky,

When did you move away? (Or do you still live here?) It sounds like all the tech job openings have been in the last 3-5 years. I don't know if the salary offerings have raised though, but would there be a decent adjustment benefit beasue of the low cost of living in Cleveland?

I've been searching for news on the region, hears another one:

"In northeast Ohio, 15 Israeli companies have opened up shop in the Cleveland suburb of Beachwood in the past four years."

US market serving as magnet for Israeli companies - International Herald Tribune
costello_musicman

I moved out of the Cleveland area in the Fall of 2006.

Yes, if you live in the city of Cleveland the cost of living is lower. However, living in the Cleveland burbs isn't any cheaper than living out west.

My housing costs in AZ have decreased by 20%, utilities by 35% and my new income increased by 25%. My house is 40 years younger and 500 square feet bigger and I traded in a city lot for acreage.

The grass is really greener on the other side......even though we don't have any grass in the sonoran desert....LOL....but the cacti make up for it.

The real perks are the climate, the culture and overabundance of outdoor activities.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 AM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
The grass is really greener on the other side......even though we don't have any grass in the sonoran desert...
Well, none that's not constantly being watered, anyways.

I know of several people who relocated from NWO to AZ, and most considered it a wise move. That's their cup o' tea, and they're more than welcome to it. As for myself, I've put the state on "1 week vacation" status, because of the radiating heat (yes, it's dry, but it still an oven) and the pervasive monochromatic brown backdrop. I'd never want to settle there, and glad I found out by visiting friends. Different strokes for different folks.

I would imagine brainstorming a prioritized, needs/wants list would help the OP really understand what they wants out of a location. Places like ****.com help, but are no substitute for actually visiting a place and soaking it all in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio