Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times

Advertisements

^ Glad this red herring of yours got smoked out early. Now, w/o further ado, may we move back to the OP's original concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Basically I'm a Michigander who hates the state, aside from summer (but summers are nice everywhere to me) and is stuck in a rural area. My wife doesn't want to move far from family, so I'm pretty much stuck in the immediate vicinity (Indiana, Ohio, parts of Illinois). I don't have a real career at the moment, though I'm considering trying to break into publishing in some fashion, but I'm also realistic and know I'll never end up in NYC for it or anything, hence my comment about indie publishers.

As a history graduate (Master's degree) Ohio's history is far more interesting to me than Michigan's, Indiana's or Illinois. Ohio also seems to be a little more geared toward celebrating and preserving history than those other states. In Indiana I can't see myself living anywhere other than Indianapolis, but again, the history just isn't there, though I hear the town is booming.

Problem is, because I don't have a corporate-style career, most traditional lists of great cities to live in don't fit me. Ann Arbor, in theory anyway, seems to fit the bill with a lot of culture and a diversity of opportunities. But for all the perks it has it's still a fairly small city and outside of it there really isn't anything. I guess I was just hoping Ohio might have similar city, only bigger or with even more opportunities.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
^Of course! Thanks for replying back and clarifying more.

Have you ever considered Pittsburgh?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:44 PM

90 posts, read 110,938 times
I'm an alum of both OSU (undergrad) and UM (grad school). In Ohio I would say hands down the city most similar to Ann Arbor is Columbus.

Check out columbusunderground.com to get a feel for what's going on in the city these days.

Also, if you're considering Pennsylvania, I'd echo the previous poster that Pittsburgh would be another good option to check out.

Good luck with everything!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 AM

I never considered Pittsburgh. I always imagined it as just another struggling rust belt City with not much to offer. I'll look into it.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:07 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I used to live in Columbus, OH before I moved to Lexington, KY. I am not sure how Columbus, OH compares to Ann Arbor in any way. I am not seeing that comparison at all. Columbus, OH is huge compared to Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is a great college town, I don't know if Ohio has anything like Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is a great college town, it reminds of Athens, GA a lot and Madison, WI other great college towns.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:34 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I used to live in Columbus, OH before I moved to Lexington, KY. I am not sure how Columbus, OH compares to Ann Arbor in any way. I am not seeing that comparison at all. Columbus, OH is huge compared to Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is a great college town, I don't know if Ohio has anything like Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is a great college town, it reminds of Athens, GA a lot and Madison, WI other great college towns.
Ann Arbor technically is a university town. Ohio, like Michigan, actually has some great college towns. E.g., Oberlin.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I never considered Pittsburgh. I always imagined it as just another struggling rust belt City with not much to offer. I'll look into it.
Ah, then very good you're giving it a look! Now that could not be further from the truth - out of the entire rust belt, somehow they have pulled off the best revitalization. Against all odds, really - Cleveland, Detroit, etc. have far better locations, more industry, and better resources.

But given what all you've stated I can't imagine a better fit city than Pittsburgh for you.

Best of luck!

Old 03-14-2015, 04:25 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Ah, then very good you're giving it a look! Now that could not be further from the truth - out of the entire rust belt, somehow they have pulled off the best revitalization. Against all odds, really - Cleveland, Detroit, etc. have far better locations, more industry, and better resources.

But given what all you've stated I can't imagine a better fit city than Pittsburgh for you.

Best of luck!
Pittsburgh's cultural attractions are not as good as Cleveland's and it's two hours further away from Michigan.

Both Cleveland and Pittsburgh have more reasonable costs of living than Chicago.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:13 PM

Anyone know what the history job scene is in Cleveland? I've heard there are actually a few history related jobs throughout the state once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio