Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I confuse my opinion with "fact?" You do realize that their poll is actually based on specifically selected opinions, do you not?

In order to have actual statistical relevance, one would have to conduct an extremely thorough poll across all demographics in all geographically relevant areas. Do you have any idea how long that would take and how expensive that would be? Also, do you honestly believe that Youngstown is any more "miserable" than an Allentown, Gary, Benton Harbor, Flint, Yuma, Stockton, the whole of eastern KY, the majority of WV, most of Maine, the vast majority of the deep south, etc.? These polls are designed to embellish based on selectively biased data so that the data can be sold to those who wish to use it as a foundation or other supporting evidence to make a specific claim. Entering into the next major, Presidential transition portion of the election cycle in a highly important swing state, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to present a divided, floundering Ohio.
We don't know anything about the sample size or methodology. It's doubtful that anybody would pay big bucks for research that was statistically suspect.

This ranking only covered the 100 largest metropolitan areas. Another post in this thread said that Youngstown barely made the top 100 list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times
FWIW, I believe I was one of those who were polled. I was asked a lot of questions over the phone, and many of them were subjective; are you happy, do you live in a safe neighborhood, do you feel you have job security, how often do you exercise, etc. So, I have no problems believing the results of this poll. We all know how little perspective some Ohioans have, and how much they love to hate where they live.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:22 AM

In Greater Cleveland, I've seen the impact of entire industries disappearing, whether machine tools, or the manufacture of power controls and small electric motors. The destruction of human capital in work skills is sickening. Once impressive manufacturing centers such as Euclid are hanging on by a thread.

Akron has lost most of its tire industry jobs, and just this past week lost a bid to Mexico for a major Goodyear premium tire plant. Canton no longer manufactures vacuum cleaners.

My belief, partially based on the work of Republican economist Larry Lindsey, is that our tax system discriminates greatly against U.S. manufacturers and corporations. This Congressional testimony by Lindsey describes the problem in relation to China, but most countries in the world use VATs to raise large portions of their tax revenues. This includes Euro zone countries and most especially Mexico and Canada. The U.S. to my knowledge is the only significant economy without a VAT, and so its manufacturers are helpless against VATs levied on U.S. exports to Canada and Mexico, or in competing with VAT rebates on exports from Canada, Mexico, and other countries to the U.S.

http://www.budget.senate.gov/republi...e-db8c1f0cdca2

Lindsey was the chief economic adviser to George W. Bush, but was canned when the Bush administration decided not to follow his prescription of what was needed to improve the long-term health of the U.S. economy. Bush obviously disastrously decided on tax cuts and massive deficit spending even while waging foreign wars.

Since Canada instituted a VAT in the 1960s, it has increased its manufacturing base relative to the U.S. immensely. Mexico, especially after NAFTA, has drawn many auto and other manufacturing jobs from the U.S. If the U.S. had a VAT to replace many of its other taxes, many of these jobs, such as the new Goodyear plant might still be in the U.S. and especially Ohio.

There is general ignorance about how the lousy national economic and tax policies of the U.S. have penalized the American worker. Both major political parties are at fault. Few states have perhaps suffered as much as Ohio, with its once dominant manufacturing economy.

As U.S. corporations have globalized, and established massive manufacturing bases outside the U.S., they now likely will resist efforts to rebalance our tax environment with the rest of the world.

The collapse of the U.S. middle class is the result of not only politicians, but also of our business elites, who have eagerly profited by moving jobs offshore. The twin deficits -- budget and trade -- are as ugly as ever and likely to impose even greater social costs on the country in just a relatively few years. IMO, the leadership in the U.S. has massively failed its citizens.

U.S. Steel announced yesterday that the U.S. now imports 30 percent of its steel. How ridiculous is that as U.S. steel manufacturing is highly productive with very low labor costs and the cost of shipping steel is immense?

In northern Ohio, the massive relative tolls on the I-80 toll roads instituted by Republicans in Ohio and Indiana, have attached an additional anchor around the neck of the region's manufacturing industries, especially those reliant on just-in-time inventory deliveries by truck, or deliveries by truck of finished goods.

So I understand the pain and disgust felt in Ohio's once great manufacturing centers. Even in southern Ohio, Springfield is an immensely painful place to visit, especially for those of us with a memory of its once vibrant past.

My hunch is that all of this contributes to poor well-being rankings in Ohio. Many persons are suffering both in current economic reality but also emotionally, as they know, perhaps personally or from discussions with parents and other elders, what things were like in the past, when economic conditions in Ohio for the middle class were better than in most places in the world.

The poor well-being rankings in Ohio don't surprise me, although the inclusion of Greater Cincinnati and Greater Columbus was a surprise. What we have lost is tangible and regretful.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-29-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 PM

Another piece to the puzzle, as Youngstown and Toledo make the top 10 on the following list of metro areas where residents are least likely to feel safe:

Toledo: <<While Toledo's overall crime rates aren't much higher than the rest of the state, and its property crime rates are actually lower, its violent crime rates are staggeringly higher, according to the FBI. Its rates for murder, assault, robbery and rape are 178 percent higher than the rest of the country, and a whopping 258 percent higher than Ohio's.>>

Youngstown: <<Youngstown, situated in a valley between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, is one of many Rust Belt communities that has struggled to recover after its manufacturing base disappeared. Poverty has led to increased crime, and according to the FBI, the overall crime rate is 103 percent higher than the national average and 96 percent higher than the rest of Ohio. A third of residents, 33.2 percent, don't feel safe.>>

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces...183052414.html

For all seven years of the well-being survey, Ohio has ranked in the bottom 10:

New State Rankings Reveal Top 10 Highest and Lowest Well-Being States

Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Another piece to the puzzle, as Youngstown and Toledo make the top 10 on the following list of metro areas where residents are least likely to feel safe:

Toledo: <<While Toledo's overall crime rates aren't much higher than the rest of the state, and its property crime rates are actually lower, its violent crime rates are staggeringly higher, according to the FBI. Its rates for murder, assault, robbery and rape are 178 percent higher than the rest of the country, and a whopping 258 percent higher than Ohio's.>>

Youngstown: <<Youngstown, situated in a valley between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, is one of many Rust Belt communities that has struggled to recover after its manufacturing base disappeared. Poverty has led to increased crime, and according to the FBI, the overall crime rate is 103 percent higher than the national average and 96 percent higher than the rest of Ohio. A third of residents, 33.2 percent, don't feel safe.>>

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces...183052414.html

For all seven years of the well-being survey, Ohio has ranked in the bottom 10:

New State Rankings Reveal Top 10 Highest and Lowest Well-Being States
What's strange is that Ohio really doesn't have all that bad crime rates. On the state level, it's in the bottom half. Leave it to Ohioans, though, to be dramatic and make problems worse than they really are.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:54 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
These lists are pretty silly but I do agree with dayton. Lived here all my life and is a depressing town with crime and not enough to offer. Im surprised columbus is on the list, I think its a vibrant city.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
I confuse my opinion with "fact?" You do realize that their poll is actually based on specifically selected opinions, do you not?

In order to have actual statistical relevance, one would have to conduct an extremely thorough poll across all demographics in all geographically relevant areas. Do you have any idea how long that would take and how expensive that would be? Also, do you honestly believe that Youngstown is any more "miserable" than an Allentown, Gary, Benton Harbor, Flint, Yuma, Stockton, the whole of eastern KY, the majority of WV, most of Maine, the vast majority of the deep south, etc.? These polls are designed to embellish based on selectively biased data so that the data can be sold to those who wish to use it as a foundation or other supporting evidence to make a specific claim. Entering into the next major, Presidential transition portion of the election cycle in a highly important swing state, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to present a divided, floundering Ohio.
Maine doesn't belong on that list alongside WV, KY, and the rust belt cities. Maine along with the other rural northern New England states is consistently on the top as safest state (goes back and forth with VT and NH), cleanest (in contrast to the pollution of former heavy industrial areas), healthiest, and happiest.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 AM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Maine doesn't belong on that list alongside WV, KY, and the rust belt cities. Maine along with the other rural northern New England states is consistently on the top as safest state (goes back and forth with VT and NH), cleanest (in contrast to the pollution of former heavy industrial areas), healthiest, and happiest.
It sure does not, Washington county may be one of the poorest counties in the US but that will not stop me from retiring to Eastport. The worst place in Maine is still better than the best place in a lot of other states, there just is not a lot of "Now Hiring" signs to be found.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Just because you personally like Maine and find the coast to be pretty, that doesn't mean that it doesn't suffer from a lot of the same problems that, say, Eastern KY does. Maine is the poorest state in New England. Due to its relatively high taxes and cost of living, it has also ranked among the poorest states in the country. Maine ranks among the highest in welfare recipients in the US. Maine has been shedding the little manufacturing it has (mainly paper and lumber products) for years. Maine often has brutal winters which are accompanied by high heating costs because most people use heating oil in that neck of the woods. Just because where you have decided to hang your hat might be safe and opulent, it doesn't mean that a lot of the state has some fairly serious problems. It's just not often a focal point because of its minor popularity and smaller population.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:23 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Just because you personally like Maine and find the coast to be pretty, that doesn't mean that it doesn't suffer from a lot of the same problems that, say, Eastern KY does. Maine is the poorest state in New England. Due to its relatively high taxes and cost of living, it has also ranked among the poorest states in the country. Maine ranks among the highest in welfare recipients in the US. Maine has been shedding the little manufacturing it has (mainly paper and lumber products) for years. Maine often has brutal winters which are accompanied by high heating costs because most people use heating oil in that neck of the woods. Just because where you have decided to hang your hat might be safe and opulent, it doesn't mean that a lot of the state has some fairly serious problems. It's just not often a focal point because of its minor popularity and smaller population.
Maine doesn't have half the problems those other areas have. The life expectancy is higher, it's not so heavily polluted, the people have better access to healthcare and good food, education levels are good, crime and drug problems are less severe, and the economy though not the strongest is more diversified. Maine's coast gives the opportunity for commercial fishing (incl. lobster), shipping and tourism that the rust belt and Appalachia will never have. Maine away from the coast is very affordable and with abundant wood resources, no one has to use oil for heat if they own their own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio