Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Iron-Mike, this SE Ohio resident loved her sabbatical in the "prairie" region because the constant wind blew most of the pollutants east, and I could breathe without chemical assistance. (The cold was another matter, but hey, we can't have everything.)

~ Hello Rebek56,

~ Thank You for your post I can Understand your relief in being able to breathe Better, with the near constant exchange of 'fresh-air' I'm Glad for your positive experience up this way.
~ Unfortunately for my wife: this Winter is the 1st time ever, that she has come down with bronchitis & a touch of pneumonia as an added 'Bonus' Although Thankfully, she's almost over it { even though taking care of a sick-RN can be somewhat of a challenge , I do Enjoy Helping & Caring for her, & it's OK Because: she has Always Cared for me, over our many years }

~ Agreed about the inherent cold in this area of Ohio; & as for the Cold Today {it got down to negative numbers in some areas this Morning} Yet, at least: " It's a Dry Cold "

~ Respectfully Humorously, Iron-Mike ~

~ P.S. Even though I've written about Never having liked the wind-chill up this way: Inda early 1980's, I did respond to an emergency call-in for a 9 hour shift outside, when part of the time that day: the wind-chill factored temperature was exceeding more than 100 below Zero Thankfully, most of thet shift was only @ 75 to 80 below Zero wind-chill temperatures It took me Lottsa Coffee over the following 2 Daze, in order to re-warm myself agin

~ Sincerely, Iron-Mike ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 03:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Parts of Northeastern Ohio remind me very much of Connecticut and Long Island. I could very much see someone preferring to live there if they enjoyed that sort of topography and mindset without the insane taxes and cost of living.
That's why we love it! Or, one of the reasons.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:23 AM

115 posts, read 130,333 times
Ohio is great if you are looking for a low cost of living. We have some of the lowest housing prices in the country. Even lower than most of the southern states. I just spotted a neat little country house for $10k the other day. Nothing wrong with it either.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,600 times
I am born & raised in Ca and yes it has become unbelievably expensive. Its ridiculous. Unless you have a 2 household income and make over $70k a yr its difficult to live in Ca and own a home. Ive been to OH only 2 times and so far love it there. I will actually be back out there in a couple weeks.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:50 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Yes, and the pro sports teams in Cincy and Cleveland (including Lebron and the NBA champs and the 2016 American League pennant-winning Indians) are short hops away from Columbus Ohio's second tier cities...Dayton, Toledo, Akron, Canton, etc. also offer many amenities as well, as do the nearby cities of Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Lexington, etc.
Just saw in the news today that the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton is embarking on a six hundred million dollar expansion and upgrade.
We have two world-class roller coaster theme parks.
My hometown of Dayton is the hub of Air Force research and development. Fuyao is establishing the world's largest auto glass manufacturing plant there, bringing in thousands of jobs. One of the country's most talked about sporting events, the NCAA men's basketball tournament, also begins in Dayton, with the opening games (the First Four) being played there since 2001. Also, UD Arena has hosted more NCAA tournament games than any current arena in the country. It is one of the most historic arenas in college basketball...a who's who of college basketball greats over the past half century have played there.
Our major cities are seeing very significant levels of investment in the inner cities. As part of this not only has there been a large increase in the amount of new construction taking place but...dearer to my heart... numerous histirical architectural gems are in the process of being restored.
Due to Ohio having had been a prosperous state with significant urban areas for the better part of its history, which us the better part of US history (since independence. In fact, Cincinnati was the first major new US city to develop after independence), we have a large number of architecturally and aesthetically significant older buildings and neighborhoods relative to newer regions
Many blighted and polluted abandoned former industrial sites have been cleaned up and either demoed or renovated in recent years. The success rate in getting these sites redeveloped once remedied has been very high.
Access to water. Something we don't even have to think about.
Numerous Fortune 500 companies are based here in Ohio. Many more have very large and important operations here.
It is one of the nation's most important auto producing states, including new companies with an extensive Ohio presence established over the last three decades, such as Honda, the aforementioned Fuyao, etc.
We have numerous colleges and universities...running the gamut from major universities to small colleges...some of which are very prestigious.... to a very extensive and well thought of community college system.
Ohio is only thirty-fifth in the nation territorially speaking but is seventh in the nation in population, so we have one of the highest population densities in the nation. Many of the states with higher populations have that population spread outvover a much, much larger geographical footprint. If we covered as large of a land area as Texas or California Ohio could easily include,depending on how the borders were drawn, not only it's present cities but also Chicago, Detroit (and metro Detroit is still one of America's centers of wealth and innovation, the issues of much of inner city Detroit aside), Indianapolis, Louisville, and St Louis. Numerous small metros which would also make important contributions to such a state (South Bend, Lexington, and the Lafayette-West Lafayette metros, for instance, which would give us Notre Dame, Purdue, UK, and Indiana (and their stories basketball programs in addition to their educational and economic impacts) and massive Caterpillar and Toyota industrial complexes), Fort Wayne, Evansville, Grand Rapids, and a number of others. The several hundred thousand people who live in the Kentucky and Indiana suburbs of Cincinnati would be in Ohio (as would be Cincinnati's airport and all of the industrial development around it).

Point being...people often forget how small Ohio is geographically relative to most of the other major states and what is nearby that would most likely be included in the state if Ohio was as large, geographically speaking, as those states. I think this is why some underestimate Ohio and this part of the country. ..there is actually a great deal that happens here and a great deal of innovation, production, culture, education, sports, history, etc., and potential here and in neighboring areas. We are not flyover county.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:51 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Ohio is a fine place to live. Yes, the winters can be cold, but I really miss the snowfall in Northern Ohio and all the Lake Effect snow.

I no longer live in Ohio, but I would move back if the right job came along. Ohioans are friendly people, in a Midwestern sort of way. Typically, people will mind their own business (unlike some Southerners), but will help you out if needed.

Pros of Ohio:
-Four distinct seasons, with a true Northern Winter.

-Mild Summers

-Ton's of Pro sports teams (Browns, Bengals, Reds, Indians, Cavaliers, Blue Jackets)
-Great public Colleges & Universities (Ohio Univ. Ohio State, Case Western, Univ. of Akron, Kent State, Bowling Green)

-LAKE ERIE...finally getting cleaned up and a great resource.
-Southern Appalachian region, with great parks such as Shawnee State and Hocking Hills, very pretty area, lots of great hiking.

-Cleveland: a truly underrated city. I miss going to productions at the Playhouse Square theater district, I miss Cleveland State basketball games at Wolstein Center. Cleveland is slowly re-developing itself but is a really cool place to live. If only they would improve the lakefront.

-Low cost of living. I am in Kentucky now, and I thought the cost of living would be cheaper, but it's actually not. They tax everything in Kentucky, including personal autos and there is not a lot of cheap real estate like there was in Northern Ohio.

Cons:
-Can be very cold in January and February, especially in Northern Ohio. Must like Winter.
-Roads and infrastructure are aging (again, mainly Northern Ohio due to harsh winters)
-Some consider the Western part of the state to be flat and boring (I disagree).
-Bad allergies in the Ohio River portion of the State.
-Cleveland has had some economic struggles, but is on the rebound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio