Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:11 PM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
It is not my experience at all. People are removed and indifferent, yet polite and talkative sometimes, but welcoming? It is a big stretch, if they wave at you, you do well, they dont really have more to do with each other than they do with you being a stranger. People avoid up to face confrontation, but many are quite capable of the behind back action, including property damage, just like everywhere else. They talk politics as much as they understand it, usually welfare people ate my cake and such, and looking at low income neighborhood I work at, they might be onto something, it is the only neighborhood where you can see people doing normal human things, talking, sitting together, visiting each other and such. The rest of the town is a social desert, devoid of life day and night, that is how most of marginably well off Ohioan towns look like - human desert.

Blue collar types are anxious, depressed and drugged out of their minds, legally and illegally. They definitely dont share (or even know) anything you two tout here, as though elite university matter much in their or your life. Their ideas about world, no matter how insane and ridiculous, is shaped by TV and talk radio (for advanced folks), the rest has clean slate filled with trivia and whatever else they find worthwhile like intimate knowledge of alcoholic coctails or Jesus. That what makes it bland, and Cleveland entertainment options have no impact.

I am truly sorry that this was your experience in Ohio.

I am not sure where you were working where you came in contact with all of these drugged and depressed people who "ate your cake and such".

What does that mean?

I attend a very progressive church where I have met nice people. I joined a society for university women, and I work as a volunteer, mentoring at risk youth. We also joined a country club. People do enjoy cocktails there. They also, swim, attend cooking classes, yoga, golf, play tennis, and dine out. Do you disapprove of that, also?

Occasionally, I substitute teach, and I am an independent college counselor. The presence of colleges and universities provides more cultural activities.

My neighbors are friendly enough, but I don't really like to make close friends with neighbors. We have been to a few get togethers, though, and no one talks about politics, hatred for the president, or makes fun of my husband because he does not enjoy hunting. We encountered that in PA.

Most suburbs everywhere empty out in the day. Most people go to work, run errands, volunteer, and do other things. Not just in Ohio. Everywhere.

I do hope you are happier where ever you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 02:42 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,541,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am truly sorry that this was your experience in Ohio.

I am not sure where you were working where you came in contact with all of these drugged and depressed people who "ate your cake and such".

What does that mean?

I attend a very progressive church where I have met nice people. I joined a society for university women, and I work as a volunteer, mentoring at risk youth. We also joined a country club. People do enjoy cocktails there. They also, swim, attend cooking classes, yoga, golf, play tennis, and dine out. Do you disapprove of that, also?

Occasionally, I substitute teach, and I am an independent college counselor. The presence of colleges and universities provides more cultural activities.

My neighbors are friendly enough, but I don't really like to make close friends with neighbors. We have been to a few get togethers, though, and no one talks about politics, hatred for the president, or makes fun of my husband because he does not enjoy hunting. We encountered that in PA.

Most suburbs everywhere empty out in the day. Most people go to work, run errands, volunteer, and do other things. Not just in Ohio. Everywhere.

I do hope you are happier where ever you are!
It's not about my happiness, or me. I've made a statement, I rationalized that statement, I gave a few examples, all of that triggered some emotions and refutations that dont address my original claim, now my happiness entered the picture.

Let's go back. We were talking culture, specifically Ohioan culture, there is nothing uniquelly Ohioans about the (class/income specific) set of activities you described. Here is another definition of culture.

Anthropologists define culture as learned behavior transmitted from generation to generation which results in a set of attitudes and ways of doing things.

Ideas, goals, assumptions you pass to your children is your culture. How does moving to OH impact your culture? In USA ideas, goals, assumptions are not particularly geography specific, they have much more to do with your class/income than with your state of origin, there are some minuscule differences from state to state, but Ohio is just generic. You dont have to leave NY, CA or AR to experience Ohioan culture (adjusted for income/class/population density), that what makes it b"bland". You dont really have to leave PA to avoid hunting jokes, if they bother you that much, or join a country club and so on, you dont have to move to PA to join a hunting cult.

Btw, drugged depression and general misery are key elements of culture of the American low wage and undeclass, independently of their state of residence. It is passed from generation to generation too, which qualifies it as a part of "culture", it is just an opposite side of the American rat race culture and its byproducts like social segregation and intense status anxiety.

Last edited by RememberMee; 08-04-2015 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 05:41 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,352,660 times
[quote=RememberMee;40679696]It is not my experience at all. People are removed and indifferent, yet polite and talkative sometimes, but welcoming? It is a big stretch, if they wave at you, you do well, they dont really have more to do with each other than they do with you being a stranger. People avoid up to face confrontation, but many are quite capable of the behind back action, including property damage, just like everywhere else. They talk politics as much as they understand it, usually welfare people ate my cake and such, and looking at low income neighborhood I work at, they might be onto something, it is the only neighborhood where you can see people doing normal human things, talking, sitting together, visiting each other and such. The rest of the town is a social desert, devoid of life day and night, that is how most of marginably well off Ohioan towns look like - human desert.

Blue collar types are anxious, depressed and drugged out of their minds, legally and illegally. They definitely dont share (or even know) anything you two tout here, as though elite university matter much in their or your life. Their ideas about world, no matter how insane and ridiculous, is shaped by TV and talk radio (for advanced folks), the rest has clean slate filled with trivia and whatever else they find worthwhile like intimate knowledge of alcoholic coctails or Jesus. That what makes it bland, and Cleveland entertainment options have no impact.[/QUOTE

What a bunch of crap..

Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:

What a bunch of crap..
You've missed a good opportunity to itemize, which leads me to assume you have no objections, you just dont like it, and I dont blame you.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:14 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,352,660 times
Quote:
You've missed a good opportunity to itemize, which leads me to assume you have no objections, you just dont like it, and I dont blame you.
No. I just can't relate to anything you rambled on about regarding Ohio. I have only lived in cuyahoga county Ohio and my life here is nothing like what your broad brush painted. IMO metro Cleveland/NE Ohio is just fine until I retire and take my talents to south beach.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 PM

8,373 posts, read 6,745,607 times
Ohio is cool. They have Skyline Chili.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,420,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Skyline Chili is horrible, its no bueno esse.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
No. I just can't relate to anything you rambled on about regarding Ohio. I have only lived in cuyahoga county Ohio and my life here is nothing like what your broad brush painted. IMO metro Cleveland/NE Ohio is just fine until I retire and take my talents to south beach.
Anything is nothing, you should add being specific, to the point to your talents. Can you turn my ramblings upside down and relate to that? What you can relate to is limited to your experience and background, your ability to relate is a poor judge.

That Cleveland man who kept 3 women as sex slaves for 10 years in a generic sheet rock box located in a densely populated "neighborhood" says much more about Ohio than my ramblings. And that guy is not alone.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Unfortunately, only in the southwest part of the state.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:50 AM

11,045 posts, read 12,313,043 times
Quote:
Anything is nothing, you should add being specific, to the point to your talents. Can you turn my ramblings upside down and relate to that? What you can relate to is limited to your experience and background, your ability to relate is a poor judge.

That Cleveland man who kept 3 women as sex slaves for 10 years in a generic sheet rock box located in a densely populated "neighborhood" says much more about Ohio than my ramblings. And that guy is not alone.
You're right, all bad things have only happened in Cleveland or Ohio somewhere. No matter that he was from Puerto Rico. Bad things have never happened anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio