Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Well, in regards to schools, yes, I agree with that statement. For some reason, the school districts here all seem to close when we get more than 2" of snow. It is laughable. Especially during the polar vortex crap we have had the past 2 winters. They cancel school for that as well. Growing up in Cleveland, we never had school cancelled unless we had like over a foot of snow, perhaps. But as far as getting around town, I have never had a problem, as they clear the highways and main streets pretty good. Now the residential streets, they may take longer.

German Village, yeah I think the plows have to be extra careful, as brick damage would be bad. I am not sure if they salt it or not.

I have seen sidewalk plows here, but I have no idea how common they are.

They generally use a ton of salt here. I know salt prices went through the roof a couple of years ago....and some cities had a hard time even getting salt, because of shortages. 2 bad winters in the Midwest seemed to make salt hard to come by. But prices have come down a bit, and everyone seems to have ample supply again. Whenever a major storm is predicted, (which is more than 3" of snow, according to our local, panic-inducing meteorologists) plows are out early, dropping salt or sometimes brine if it is really cold.

One thing I hate about winter here is that they don't have parking bans, to my knowledge, on most of Columbus. I know in Cleveland, they can ban people from parking in the streets if they get more than 4" of snow...or something like that. Here, they unfortunately don't do that, as far as I know. Always have idiots who keep their cars parked out in the street, only to have them buried in a ton of snow, because the plows have to go around them.
Actually, parking bans are everywhere during larger snows. There are signs everywhere for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Actually, parking bans are everywhere during larger snows. There are signs everywhere for that.
The city of Columbus does not enact parking bans ...no matter how much snow falls. Not sure where you are getting your information from. Other suburb cities around Franklin County might, but the city of Columbus does not.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:36 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
The city of Columbus does not enact parking bans ...no matter how much snow falls. Not sure where you are getting your information from. Other suburb cities around Franklin County might, but the city of Columbus does not.
There are many streets where cars cannot park or stop during snow emergencies or after a certain amount of snow has fallen. This is generally on main roads. Whether or not it is a ban is up for interpretation, but it seems to work the same way.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There are many streets where cars cannot park or stop during snow emergencies or after a certain amount of snow has fallen. This is generally on main roads. Whether or not it is a ban is up for interpretation, but it seems to work the same way.
Well just having a parking ban on select streets for snow is silly, IMO. There should be no parking on any public street when you have heavy snow. I always laugh at the dozens and dozens of cars I see every winter get walled in by snow because the plow has to go around the car. Complete stupidity.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Well just having a parking ban on select streets for snow is silly, IMO. There should be no parking on any public street when you have heavy snow. I always laugh at the dozens and dozens of cars I see every winter get walled in by snow because the plow has to go around the car. Complete stupidity.
Some places in Columbus, such as parts of German Village, have no driveways or garages. Street parking is reserved by permit. That might be another reason that German Village isn't well plowed.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Is there anywhere in Ohio that's somewhat walkable, affordable, safe and relatively socially progressive?
There are plenty of places live that. Try Coventry. Progressive and affordable. It's near Cleveland.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Some places in Columbus, such as parts of German Village, have no driveways or garages. Street parking is reserved by permit. That might be another reason that German Village isn't well plowed.
Yeah, with all those bricks, GV gets pretty bad in winter....plows can't get much snow off.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:08 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,146,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Columbus residential areas aren't well-plowed period. For better or worse, their attitude is that it's going to melt in a week or two anyway and they're usually correct. Nevertheless, it still urinates me off when I cross over into Reynoldsburg or Whitehall (modest suburbs) and notice that everything has been plowed.

The snow belt starts at Mansfield. Columbus doesn't get snow very bad and when it does, it's usually gone in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Columbus residential areas aren't well-plowed period. For better or worse, their attitude is that it's going to melt in a week or two anyway and they're usually correct. Nevertheless, it still urinates me off when I cross over into Reynoldsburg or Whitehall (modest suburbs) and notice that everything has been plowed.

The snow belt starts at Mansfield. Columbus doesn't get snow very bad and when it does, it's usually gone in a couple of weeks.
Does Mansfield get lake enhancement or lake effect due to its somewhat higher elevation? I notice that it averages over 50 inches of snowfall a winter, so just curious.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 PM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Does Mansfield get lake enhancement or lake effect due to its somewhat higher elevation? I notice that it averages over 50 inches of snowfall a winter, so just curious.
According to my 1st edition Weather America, Mansfield gets 41" of snow, while Wooster gets 33". Both are largely out of the Lake Eire snow belt, but the Mansfield station is nearly 300' higher than the Wooster station.

I use my 1st edition Weather America much more than my 3rd edition. Many stations of interest to me were eliminated by the time of the 3rd edition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio