Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:26 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Always wanted to go there. It's in Canada, correct? But accessible from a ferry that leaves Sandusky too?

Does it require a passport or passport card to enter?
And besides the bird migration, what is there to do on the island?

Certainly seems like a nice place to get away from it all though.
I'm certain you need a passport to go to Pelee Island.

My question, especially if you want a car, is whether it wouldn't be cheaper to visit it from Canada than from the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 03:09 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I'm certain you need a passport to go to Pelee Island.

My question, especially if you want a car, is whether it wouldn't be cheaper to visit it from Canada than from the U.S.
I went to Canada via car (Windsor) w/o a passport in May, my current passport was in process of being renewed (you need to submit your old one to get renewed passport). If you go on government website it will say that two forms of ID will work (Birth Cert, DL). The Canadian border will have no problem, The US border folks will let your through with slight hassle.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I went to Canada via car (Windsor) w/o a passport in May, my current passport was in process of being renewed (you need to submit your old one to get renewed passport). If you go on government website it will say that two forms of ID will work (Birth Cert, DL). The Canadian border will have no problem, The US border folks will let your through with slight hassle.
You were lucky. A regular driver's license and a birth certificate isn't supposed to cut it. You might have benefited because you had a current passport that was being renewed, which likely they were able to verify through their database.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...y-into-the-u.s.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...e-%28edl%29%3F

I'm not certain that enhanced drivers licenses are yet available in Ohio, but apparently they are coming. There are security and privacy issues with enhanced drivers licenses, just as with unencrypted information on credit cards.

Critics: Enhanced driver's licenses may put privacy at risk | Grand Forks Herald

Some persons keep credit cards in special shields for this reason.

RFID Credit Cards, Consumer Reports

Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Some good information here.

Last summer we took a three day vacation at The Inn at Geneva on the Lake.

The in was beautiful - nice rooms and views were to die for. I'd go again.

The town of Geneva was a mixture of hippies, bikers, and yuppies. Touristy - but not over the top. There were also some small "Mom and Pop" type motels on the main strip with even better views.
Not as fancy as where we stayed, but if anyone knows of any that are clean and safe - it's a little more walkable.

Lake Erie is beautiful to look at - but we did not go swimming - the smell was a turn off. Did we go on a bad weekend? Is this something you have to get used to?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Always wanted to go there. It's in Canada, correct? But accessible from a ferry that leaves Sandusky too?

Does it require a passport or passport card to enter?
And besides the bird migration, what is there to do on the island?

Certainly seems like a nice place to get away from it all though.
I think you would need a passport to go there for the most part.
It is a very low key kind of island get away, but there are things to do. Pelee Island Winery has a pavilion there with wine tastings and tours, as well as entertainment during the summer weekends, with a large outside dining area where you can grill and enjoy some wine. There is also a music festival,in August, I think.
Bike rentals are great to enjoy the island and see its sites and beaches. The water quality is usually pretty good, unless there is a green algae bloom going on, which can occur in late summer, that's the only time the water would smell bad, normally the air is very fresh smelling.

Come visit Pelee Island, Ontario, Canada's most southern point.

Pelee Island | Pelee is one of Canada

Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
So ''everyone'' goes to Pelee Island and now it is a ''tourist trap'' so who wants to experience that?

I hate crowds and prefer hidden places of natural beauty.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
So ''everyone'' goes to Pelee Island and now it is a ''tourist trap'' so who wants to experience that?

I hate crowds and prefer hidden places of natural beauty.
Pelee Island is far from a tourist trap, and is never crowded, ever. Lots of protected natural features throughout the island, both along the shore and inland.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:07 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
That is good to hear and spurs my interest in a visit.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Geneva and Headlands are my favorites, but I'm not all that familiar with the beaches in the western half of the state. Kelley's Island is worth the trip, for many more reasons than the beaches. East Harbor is nice. I've heard good things about Fairport Harbor's beach. I haven't been to Edgewater since it became part of the Metroparks.

Just to plug my out-of-state hometown beach, Presque Isle in Erie isn't that much farther of a trip ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Lake Erie is beautiful to look at - but we did not go swimming - the smell was a turn off. Did we go on a bad weekend? Is this something you have to get used to?
Smell? Lake Erie smells like a Great Lake. They all smell pretty much the same ...

Old 07-12-2015, 08:35 AM

When there are large Blue Green algae blooms, it will smell bad, but besides that, the lakes smell like lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio