Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,487 times

Advertisements

Question? I am locating to the Ohio Northwest area.. and I am married to a caucasion women. Will I face problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Boy View Post
Question? I am locating to the Ohio Northwest area.. and I am married to a caucasion women. Will I face problems?
Where are you coming from? And I'm assuming that you're African-American, and unfortunately you may face problems no matter where you go because there are still those out there that are ignorant of the fact that we're basically all the same and shouldn't be judging each other by the color of our skin, but like I said, you'll face problems no matter where you go, it all depends on how you handle them, and just remember there are ignorant and bigoted people out there. Good luck to you and your wife.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Ohio is a very diverse state so many people adapt to this diversity, but every place has its problems. I read you are looking into Toledo. Toledo has a large african american, arab, and hispanic population. Hispanic population is exploding.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 PM

62 posts, read 297,079 times
This must definitely be a southern OH thing because I have never heard these terms with the exception of pop, vacuum, sucker. I am familiar with the green bean casserole thing but do not desire to taste it

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Quote:
If you're moving to Toledo, you should be fine in most parts. Just stay away from certain parts of Point Place. I would avoid at all costs "the back of the point" or the "lost peninsula". If you find yourself on 131st heading towards Edgewater turn away!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 40,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

1. Know the state casserole.

My mother makes this EVERY holiday meal.

Quote:
2. Get used to food festivals.
And the harvest festivals!

Quote:
3. Know the geography....Of Florida, I mean.
Our vaca spot was always Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. But grandpa did live in Punta Gorda.

Quote:
10. The best way to sell something in Ohio is to attach the term "Amish" to it.
Dunno about selling stuff, but holy-moly the food up in sugarcreek/berlin/"Amish country" is out of this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Jeff Foxworthy on Ohio:

All I have to say is 'Go Bucks!'
Or, "O" "H" and some one will yell back "I" "O"

Quote:
You measure distance in minutes.
I have always measured distance in time taken to get there. And any guestimation in case of traffic congestion.

Quote:
You've had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day.
Can't count how many times....

Quote:
You carry jumper cables in your car.
Someone just borrowed mine yesterday.

Quote:
You know what 'pop' is.
I know what it is but don't use the word as such, always say soda.

Quote:
You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
Or make sure the snowsuit "blends in" with the rest of the outfit.

My grandmother says:
oral = oil
warsh = wash
cloast = close (when the humidity is high, it's "cloast")
samich = sandwich

-Noggin

Old 02-06-2008, 04:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Quote:
I'm married to a caucasian woman and I'VE never had any problems living in Ohio. Or any place else, for that matter...

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,727 times
More South-East Ohio Vocabulary (34 years experience):

A knitted winter hat is a toboggan (like the sled)
A nib (or nib-nose) is someone who is butting into you business
Any word with an A has a pheonetic E sound after it (like instead of van, it is VAEEN, man is MAEEN.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
How many of you in Ohio say soda, coke or pop?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:47 PM

18 posts, read 95,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
How many of you in Ohio say soda, coke or pop?
I say "pop" for any carbonated, sugared or diet, caramel-colored, clear or fruit-colored beverage.

"Soda" goes with the word "baking" or "ash."

But a "Coke," well, that's a whole 'nuther thing. In fact, it's the Real Thing! A Coke is a Coke--it's not a Pepsi, not an RC, not a generic store-brand pop or any other kind of pop. Nothing beats a Coke. Nothing else IS a Coke. I would give up beer before Coke.

I thought my world was coming to an end in 1985 when the Coca-Cola Co. began selling some nonsense called New Coke. Thank God somebody in Coke's marketing department woke up, got rid of their temporary rectal-cranial inversion, and put REAL COKE back on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio