U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:38 PM

5,347 posts, read 9,129,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest girl at heart View Post
Charleston's weather is also nicer, you see some season changes. We are in Houston and there is no such thing, just hot, hotter and insane!! ha ha!
Hmmm, I look right now in Houston and it is 38 degrees outside...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 02:08 PM

104 posts, read 332,056 times
Default midwest girl

Wish I could help, it has been awhile but I have heard of the development you speak of. As far as I know I would honestly say most areas you can't go wrong in Dublin. Just check the market and really compare to make sure your not overpaying, even though that area is growing..Ohio is still a buyers market so you can definitely make a deal my cousin finally sold his house in Marysville to move to Michigan for his job and it took over a year to sell due to all the current listings. Good luck though!!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM

52 posts, read 241,690 times
Well we had a great look at the Dublin area, but only found 1 house that we really liked. Unfortunately the owners overpaid and feel we should too...

Loved the subdivision so if anyone know's anyone in Brandon that's looking to sell--send me a message!!

You all have been great-wish us luck--we're ready to get there!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 14,722 times
If you want to see homes from sale in Brandon, I recommend setting up a home search at DublinHomes.Us. The realtor will set you up with a search that gives you all current listings with daily updates about new homes or any price drops.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 PM

11 posts, read 52,101 times
so ironic that you are feeling homesick. i am a teacher and i cannot find a job here in ohio. i just interviewed with the vegas schools because they need teachers so bad, but i keep hearing horror stories about their schools.

what is your opinion on the school situation there? i am single and very opened to opportunities, but nervous about the big move if i get hired for a job out there.

i also agree with the other people. the job situation here is really poor. i have a second degree in computers and am unable to find a job in that also.

moving on seems to be the only opportunity right now.

thanks!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohme View Post
so ironic that you are feeling homesick. i am a teacher and i cannot find a job here in ohio. i just interviewed with the vegas schools because they need teachers so bad, but i keep hearing horror stories about their schools.

what is your opinion on the school situation there? i am single and very opened to opportunities, but nervous about the big move if i get hired for a job out there.

i also agree with the other people. the job situation here is really poor. i have a second degree in computers and am unable to find a job in that also.

thanks!
Yes, you are correct -the job situation here is very poor. I feel for you that you cannot get a job despite your education. My two oldest sons are education majors as well - one Biology/Chemistry, the other one bilingual (Spanish). Both want out of Ohio upon graduation (I do too - however, have younger children who are still in school and will be for a long time). I have Ohio friends that moved to Charlotte area of NC - two are teachers. They said that schools are clammoring for teachers. I don't know whether or not you might like NC - but the culture would probably not be too great of a shock compared to Vegas. Good luck to you.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:23 AM

278 posts, read 760,713 times
Default Moving to Vegas too from OH

I am so sad to be leaving Medina, OH. Of all of the states in the country this is my favorite. Of course, I'm biased having grown up here and lived here most of my life. I left for 4 years to go to Phoenix and was never happy until we moved back. But since there are few jobs in my husbands industry, the west is calling us again.
I am excited about the warm weather, not having to shovel a foot of snow and not having to mow my yard. I will miss the trees, the green lawns and the wonderful people around here. And most of all my family. But I know they will come visit because they will miss the grandchildren way too much!!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmAnimal View Post
I grew up in Vermilion. Actually, move there in the 5th grade and felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I escaped as soon as I graduated from VHS and only occasionally go back. I still love the place and often fantasize about owning a large boat and living in the Lagoons. Then reality sets in and I remember the blockages of the river by ice and the flooding in those lagoons. I remember when Vermilion was a very small town and I reminisce about those small town days. I'm a stranger there now, but I still miss it. It's a hidden gem that most Ohioans don't know about. The Ford plant closing will take it back to those small town days. Want to buy a $300,000 house for $175,000?

I can still taste Paul's hot dogs next to Hart's Drug Store.
Hi Farm Animal,
I grew up in Vermilion too. I remember Hart's and Mcgarvey's. What
years were you there?. My father built the Ford plant. It really was
a shame that it closed.
Let me know.

Lancelot

Old 04-28-2007, 05:52 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,979,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohme View Post

thanks!
Everybody from 18 to 22 should have to move 1000 miles from home at least once. It broadens their horizons and shows them that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Pick any city or State on these boards and you will find a "hater" that despises where they live, and tries to convince everybody how terrible it is. Then you find out that they are 40 years old and have never been anywhere else. Nor do they have anything to compare it to.

Go to Vegas. Enjoy the adventure. Then come home when you are ready.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 PM

634 posts, read 1,579,147 times
Talking A lot of truth in this quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Everybody from 18 to 22 should have to move 1000 miles from home at least once. It broadens their horizons and shows them that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Here here! That is similar to what I said to my friends a week ago. It gives you a much better perspective on who you really are and where you want to be. When they moved, some of my friends found a place they could call home, but others found out this wasn't such a bad place after all.

I never knew what to expect of the east coast until I lived out there for a number of months. I find out what I liked and what I didn't like so much. I'm 100% satisfied that I did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio