Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 PM

124 posts, read 145,638 times

Advertisements

Where it really is, not just using 200 year old state lines. Is Cleveland more Midwestern or Northeastern? Akron? Canton? Youngstown? Pittsburgh? Erie? Does the Northeastern flavor survive further west the bigger a place is? What's the first city that's fully one or the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,113,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec012014 View Post
Where it really is, not just using 200 year old state lines. Is Cleveland more Midwestern or Northeastern? Akron? Canton? Youngstown? Pittsburgh? Erie? Does the Northeastern flavor survive further west the bigger a place is? What's the first city that's fully one or the other?
I'd say if you draw a straight line from Buffalo or Rochester going south to Washington, that would be a good dividing line.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,807,330 times
I'm originally from Minnesota and I always thought of anything east of the Mississippi to be "the East". There's a very slight chance I could be wrong.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm originally from Minnesota and I always thought of anything east of the Mississippi to be "the East". There's a very slight chance I could be wrong.
This is not scientific, this is just the way I think of things.

I think of the East as Boston, Maine, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Scranton, Baltimore. Places like that.

Halfway into Pennsylvania you get into the Appalachian and Allegheny Mountains, to me that's where the Midwest starts though you could also call it the Ohio Valley, I guess

If you don't want to start the Midwest in PA, then it definitely begins at about I-77 until you get to Kansas City or Omaha or even Lincoln.

You could further define the Midwest by splitting them up into the Great Lakes States (Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois. Maybe Pennsylvania, New York and Minnesota can be added, but they have very small coastlines.

Anything west of that is the Mountain States and then the Pacific Coast.

South of that is the southeast and southwest.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 PM

7,044 posts, read 8,856,150 times
Pittsburgh - NHL city since 1967
Buffalo - NHL city since 1970

Hockey is an integral part of northeastern culture, something that was sorely missed when I returned to Lebanon in 1973. Of course Detroit and Chicago were among the original six but that was more due to their size than anything else.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:40 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,355,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Pittsburgh - NHL city since 1967
Buffalo - NHL city since 1970

Hockey is an integral part of northeastern culture, something that was sorely missed when I returned to Lebanon in 1973. Of course Detroit and Chicago were among the original six but that was more due to their size than anything else.
Hockey is a big thing in the northeast, yea, but I think it's bigger in the Midwest. Minnesota and Michigan are the big hockey states, and not just in NHL.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:51 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
I'd argue Appalachian culture (and the Ozarks for that matter) is unique and doesn't really fit into one region, neither Midwestern or Eastern. If anything it feels more Southern, but that doesn't quite fit either.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'd argue Appalachian culture (and the Ozarks for that matter) is unique and doesn't really fit into one region, neither Midwestern or Eastern. If anything it feels more Southern, but that doesn't quite fit either.
They are mountain people and mountain people all over the world have more similarities to each other than differences (except for maybe the Alps). The Beverly Hillbillies could just as easily be a show about poor mountain people from Europe.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:37 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,540,008 times
I dont think Ohio belongs to midwest geographically. In my my mind, Midwest it is something prairie like with somewhat limited, whimzical rainfall and distinctly midwestern trees (not as tall as those in rain abundant East). Ohio is former forest and swampland that would return to forests and swamps without man' meddling. Real Midwest will remain prairie like with people or without. Centrally distributed culture is about the same whenever you go adjusted for population density and tax brackets. People discussing fine cultural differences between almost identical A and B are amazing.

The line is in Indiana, I-65 +/-.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Halfway into Pennsylvania you get into the Appalachian and Allegheny Mountains, to me that's where the Midwest starts though you could also call it the Ohio Valley, I guess
Halfway into PA is where people say "pop" instead of "soda".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio