U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 16,254 times

Advertisements

I grew up in CT- my husband in Niles, OH. We have ran a successful portrait business in Fairfield County CT by NYC for 10 years and I have to tell you... we are just done. We are willing to sacrifice some of the New England charm, closeness to NYC, and higher income to move back close to where all of his family lives. We look forward a bit more of a peaceful life with less traffic and less stress. We understand we will make some sacrifices- but as big homebodies- the benefits of moving back to Ohio outweigh the cons. (My only fear is we are major liberals and I know OH will be a bit different- but my husband felt his experience growing up in Niles was a mixed bag and we will be okay.)

We intend to relaunch our portrait business part time and focus on marking to Cleveland Heights- but want to live about 45 minutes to an hour away close to family near Niles. (This is what we have always done in Connecticut and it has always worked well for us- since we only commute to clients 1-2 days a week- usually on weekends.)

Our budget is 130,000. We are ideally looking for:

-A house about 1500 sq ft with about 3 bedrooms and like one bonus room i.e.: finished basement, sunroom, etc.
-Can need some work- but not a ton (we are fine with replacing carpets, paint, etc.)
-A town that is within about 30 minutes from Niles
-A town that is no more than an 1 hour -ish from Cleveland Heights
-Somewhere safe- but schools don't matter since we homeschool
-And most importantly.... I want to look out of my window and see something that even looks a tiny tiny bit like this:

I have always wanted to live in the country- so if there's anyway to get it to look even just a bit country-ish - in more of a farmland way vs. woods- that would make it so much more ideal.

I have struggled because the towns that are more of a country vibe have very little inventory or are too far from Niles. The towns that have lots of houses available are very suburban. I suspect it might just be that I am looking for something that doesn't exist (in our price range) but if you can think of anything I'm not thinking of- I would very grateful. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 03:29 PM

872 posts, read 1,487,557 times
I'd look at some of the towns in northern Trumbull County. Farmington, Bristol, Mecca, Cortland, etc. should all fit the bill for you. Most of Portage County (especially the eastern half) would be a good place to look as well. Garrettsville, Windham, Deerfield, etc.

Last edited by TheYO; 11-16-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 12:34 PM

3,337 posts, read 9,916,358 times
Kinsman, Mesopotamia, Bristol, Champion, Bazetta Township, Vernon, West Farmington, Mecca, Greene, Johnston, Hartford, Masury, Farmdale, Fowler, Vienna, Orwell, Rock Creek, Roaming Shores, Middlefield, Chardon, Burton. The one thing to remember is there is a lot more snow in the areas north of Niles and Warren, espeically in Geagua, Northern Trumbull and Ashtabula Counties. This is due to Lake Effect snow.

I live in Cortland and it is not rural. Cortland is a small, friendly, walkable town on the shores of Mosquito Lake. Bazetta has a Cortland zip code (44410) and both Cortland and Bazetta belong to the same school district (Lakeview).

Old 11-17-2015, 02:22 PM

20,407 posts, read 25,580,106 times
Hi! We moved to North East OH from Long Island's North Shore -(via Pennsylvania, which did not work out for us)

North East Ohio has a very New England vibe, because it was settled by people from Connecticut - as was the North Shore of LI. So, we feel very much at home here. And, we find it quite charming!

Some places that I would suggest have already been mentioned - others have not. So, here is my list - Salem, Poland, Canfield, Cortland, Kinsman, Chagrin Falls, Ravena, Hiram, and Burton.

There is a house with views very much like the one you posted, that is for sale in Burton. It's actually a converted barn. I am not in real estate, but sometimes I like to look at homes on line to get decorating ideas. This one was converted from a barn to a home in the 1970s. It has 4 bedrooms and 3 baths, plus the bonus space that you mentioned.

It's in a very bucolic setting. There are many views like the one you posted, in NE Ohio.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:32 AM

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate all the feedback and took it all to heart. In the end we decided to buy a little home in Niles for now. It's very close to in laws and will give us a few years to get settled. Nothing we saw really felt perfect for us with our family goals- so we decided we'd consider looking for land in a few years and building the right fit at that point. We will likely consider land in Canfield, Poland, Cortland, or possibly like Champion. Lots of the further out towns too- just can't think of them all. Open to any place more rural.

I was really impressed with Poland. Reminded keep much of New England- very cute! Can't get over how affordable the area is. It is a very nice break.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! Looking forward to hopefully a more simple life.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:45 AM

909 posts, read 1,189,815 times
If you look up the history of the Connecticut Western Reserve, you will find why many towns in northern Ohio have New England-style architecture.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM

Really really interesting read! Thanks for giving me the heads up on that. Now time to talk my mom into moving here when she retires... I can picture her really liking Chagrin Falls... and 45 minutes away from us is a perfect distance

Old 12-01-2015, 05:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 6,054,869 times
This thread might interest you re: public (town) squares, many in the old Western Reserve:

Best places with active town squares

Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM

3,337 posts, read 9,916,358 times
My first home was in Niles. I hope you bought somewhere up the hill and not on the south side or some other areas where you won't get your money back when you go to sell. I'm not bashing Niles, but some areas have seen better days. The city is definitely convenient and walkable. I loved being so close to all the restaurants and the Eastwood Mall area. The other nice thing about Niles is that it's pretty close to 80 and 11. Welcome to the valley. If you have any questions about the area I'd be happy to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or